• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LadyLinda

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Is King’s Quest VII a horrible game?

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2014-08-20

PM

Or more of an average game?
Every Let’s Player I’ve seen playthrough it on youtube acts like it was the worst game ever made.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It’d be leaning more towards average. I’ve played adventures worse than it is before it came and after it came out.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

If you are a fan of the King’s Quest saga then you will enjoy it! It was a huge change from the first 6, moving towards the popular cartoonish art style at the time. And a new GUI (Phantasmagoria). Horrible nah! Just different. Still adventure based, but a bit like playing through a Disney film.

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

It’s not the best KQ game, but it’s certainly not the worst either, it’s a solid installment to the series, but may be a little too cutesy for some. The puzzles are all logical for once, and I believe it’s the first KQ game entirely without dead ends.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Is adventure genre a horrible genre?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

No. It suffered from being way too ambitious and running out of dev time, but it had a ton of strengths, some really fun bits, and mostly suffers from comparison to KQ6.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Sir Beardalot - 20 April 2015 03:48 AM

If you are a fan of the King’s Quest saga then you will enjoy it!

Funny, I feel the opposite. As a King’s Quest game I think it’s pretty bad (and a huge step backward from KQ6). But as a standalone game, eh, it’s okay.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I used to be among those who defended KQ7, but the last time I looked at it, I had a very different reaction.

I’d need to replay it, but I do think that the graphics have aged extremely poorly, and that having two obnoxious lead characters was a horrible design decision.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I found it to be the less memorable of the KG games, it isn’t frustrating like KQ5 because it’s very straightforward, but not very interesting.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Dance Magic Dance - 20 April 2015 12:27 AM

Or more of an average game?
Every Let’s Player I’ve seen playthrough it on youtube acts like it was the worst game ever made.

After all the horrible things I’d read about it before playing, I was expecting it to be terrible. But it wasn’t actually that bad at all. Sure it “looked” ugly, but overall I thought it was fun to play.

Of course I didn’t play it immediately after King’s Quest VI or any of the other King’s Quest games. I played it after playing some mediocre “recent” games (from the past 5 years), and compared to those I thought it was pretty good.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

It was one of the first (maybe the first?) adventure games I played so it will always have a place in my heart. I think it’s very good Smile and always come back to it every few years or so.  It was also nice to play Valenice! Her reactions to some of the more outlandish characters compared to her very proper ways and formalities were particularly amusing.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Is KQVII horrible?
No, it’s not. I’d even say I found it to be pretty good.

It just got a lot of criticism for “Disneyfying” the series (because two female protagonists somehow makes people think this game is girly, and because they shifted to a more cartoony animation style), and for “dumbing down” the series (because they use a smart cursor where one click does all - see also Phantasmagoria -, and because they eliminated death - you just immediately return to a point just before you died).
Following immediately after “Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow” didn’t help, of course, as that one is considered to be the best of the entire series.

Basically, they tried something different with the series in KQ7, and after the success of KQ6, not that many people appreciated that. KQ8 got even worse criticism, imo, and while I can’t speak on KQ8, I find the criticism of KQ7 to be grossly disproportionate to its quality.
Precisely because it keeps getting so much flak, I consider it one of the most underrated games out there…
Still doesn’t make it a masterpiece, though…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I got it when it came out and after I had just finished KQ6. As a successor of KQ6, I hated it but when I played it again a few years later, I actually enjoyed it..

I agree with TimovieMan, it’s not a masterpiece and it’s a step down but it’s still a good game and definitely rather underrated.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Maybe it skewed a little too young. I’ve seen King’s Quest VII treated as the ugly duckling of the series but that seemed fairly harsh given the production values.

It was a high resolution cel-animated adventure 2 years before that style was everywhere. I also liked some of the names attached - namely Al Eufrasio’s animations and Mark Seibert’s music (besides the saccharine Land Beyond Dreams).

I wouldn’t dare replay it. It makes me all melancholic and nostalgic like a Disney film from that time I guess.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I thought it was a pretty nice game. Nothing spectacular but never would’ve said it to be bad. I don’t really know why some titles seem to get an incredible amount of way too harsh criticism towards them. Or well, I surely can think of some reasons, but even considering things like the predecessor etc. they still get totally unnecessary amount of bashing.

Some people just like to go all out with their hatred I guess. I don’t really hate. And usually I only pick up games I think I’ll like anyway, so I pretty much end up liking them all. Some are just average but most are good or better.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I loved the game.  It was THE most favorite game that I played for the next few years and I have replayed it numerous times. The lack of dead ends is what really did it for me. I played KQ 5 and 6 and it was so hard and I hated dying all the time. I really don’t know if I ever finished them. They just got so repetitious and mundane with the dying and going over and over. Also, it is a good game for the grandkids to play. They love it. It is mysterious enough and enough of a challenge for them.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top