• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Do we need to evaluate/discuss Daedalic’s achievements & future ?

Poll: What is your favourite Daedalic game so far?
Total Votes: 86
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
The Whispered World
A New Beginning
Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes
Deponia
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
Chaos on Deponia
The Night of the Rabbit
Memoria
Goodbye Deponia
Fire

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

True, but £10 seems a bit steep still if you compare it to what else you can get out there for that price.

Perhaps £6-7 would of been the sweet spot for a project like this?

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Tad - 13 April 2015 02:16 AM

Perhaps £6-7 would of been the sweet spot for a project like this?

Nooo not really. Theres no formula that ever makes pricing “right”. Its what people will pay, and a starting price based on the general catagory the devs think it fits in. And that starting price has to be towards the upper limit, because these days no matter what the price starts at, its going to be on sale in the not far future. You generally will not see new games with a base price less than 9.99.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Yes, but price it too highly and people won’t be interested in it till it goes on sale. And by that point, the sales probably dont see much of a return for the developers.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Tad - 13 April 2015 08:40 AM

Yes, but price it too highly and people won’t be interested in it till it goes on sale. And by that point, the sales probably dont see much of a return for the developers.

Unless the game has micro transactions, 9.99 is never too high for a starting price point on a brand new game.
A portion of people will wait for sales no matter what.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

I finished FIRE last night and believe that positive characteristics far outweigh the negatives.

First of all, I liked the universal appeal and accessibility of interface design. Game clearly wants to appeal to children and casual players, but the puzzles (IMHO) retain enough challenge for experienced AG players. I’m not saying the game is hard, but solution to the puzzles are not overly simplistic either. You have to experiment a bit, until the idea to solution hits your grey cells. There’s no dialogue, so no language barrier for foreign (and very young) players, everything works with one click only (well, two if you count hotspots) and everyone has a fair chance of cracking the puzzles, whether it’s their first or 101st AG. Although the simplistic visual style won’t please everyone, music should get your head spinning about (while you’re trying to feed the pterodactyls).

I generally liked intuitive and diverse puzzle design but I was a bit disappointed with fluctuation of challenge throughout the game.

First two levels are basic, then the game progresses to harder, more advanced challenges (3-5). Level 6 stagnates a bit in my opinion, while level 7 seems like it came from outer space. With its heavy emphasis on repetitive action, it seems like an alien element that snuck its way through some wormhole. Level 8 is on par with level 6. 9 is absolutely great continuation of harder levels in the first part of the game, and level 10, though it may seem repetitive, serves as a form of last trial, where you have apply all the knowledge and tricks you picked up on your way.

All in all, nice little AG, a bit of rough on the edges, just like its main character.

There’s just one thing, completely unrelated to puzzle design, that made me a little awkward.

As you might have guessed, it’s the goal of level 8. You have to save imprisoned woman and then “give her” to the other neanderthal, in exchange for the firefly. The way it’s presented in the game, it feels like a changeling between two men. Maybe developers meant something different, maybe she’s the other man’s wife, maybe I’m just too sensitive. But since there’s no dialogue, we can only guess. Still, it seems a bit awkward, especially the way Ungh! is nonchalantly carrying her through the dungeon.

What’s your take on it?

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

lucebend - 14 April 2015 01:51 PM

There’s just one thing, completely unrelated to puzzle design, that made me a little awkward.

As you might have guessed, it’s the goal of level 8. You have to save imprisoned woman and then “give her” to the other neanderthal, in exchange for the firefly. The way it’s presented in the game, it feels like a changeling between two men. Maybe developers meant something different, maybe she’s the other man’s wife, maybe I’m just too sensitive. But since there’s no dialogue, we can only guess. Still, it seems a bit awkward, especially the way Ungh! is nonchalantly carrying her through the dungeon.

What’s your take on it?

Seriously? Oh come on! I wouldn’t want the PC police to mess with my beloved adventures, books, films, plays.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Who are they trying to protect anyway? I wasn’t aware there are any cavemen around to be offended that they didn’t have equal rights for women.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 17 April 2015 01:10 AM

Who are they trying to protect anyway? I wasn’t aware there are any cavemen around to be offended that they didn’t have equal rights for women.

Right… that’s a good point. You’re a smart one, aren’t you? Just stand still for a moment, will you. Thank you. I have a question for you, how do you feel about cavewomen in general? You’re fidgeting… ropes not too tight, I hope?

Girls! I got a nice big fat one! Light the fire, fetch water, we’re gonna feast tonight.  Yum

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

I don’t advocate for (self)censoring of the game. I had a fun time while it lasted.

I’m just saying it struck me a bit awkward, especially since this isn’t some action game like GTA or No More Heroes (which I also enjoyed).

It’s a game intended for family, within genre that’s considered to have fair percentage of women players. It’s something I wouldn’t expect to find here, even if it can be categorized as “historically accurate”.

That’s all.

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yes. And you asked for opinions. Which you got.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

lucebend - 18 April 2015 06:09 PM

I’m just saying it struck me a bit awkward, especially since this isn’t some action game like GTA or No More Heroes (which I also enjoyed).

It’s a comedy, and comedies are known for being full of potentially offensive stereotypes—even more so than action games.

What would you suggest as an alternative? Eliminate every stereotype from a comedy game that might possibly offend someone? Eliminate everything from a comedy game that someone might see as “in bad taste?”

Isn’t the best solution what we already have? Put up with a few offensive things and enjoy the rest of the game—or avoid comedy games altogether if they tend to offend you more than they entertain.

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

@crabapple
Of course not. But this is a comedy game for families. I certainly wouldn’t expect that type of humor in here.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

It would appear likely that the adventures of dog mendocza and pizza boy is going to get the daedalic treatment as well. I loved what they brought to dead synchronicity. So likely good news.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

All news concerning Martin Ganteföhr new game are in German, wit a bit of google translator i understood that its going to be a story driven adventure made with Unreal engine, 3D apparently, and its going to be released at the end of this year.

without the Sudden Doomsday release i would not have taken this piece of news seriously.

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2015-01-31

PM

Advie - 09 May 2016 09:48 PM

All news concerning Martin Ganteföhr new game are in German, wit a bit of google translator i understood that its going to be a story driven adventure made with Unreal engine, 3D apparently, and its going to be released at the end of this year.

without the Sudden Doomsday release i would not have taken this piece of news seriously.

Daedalic is advertising Silence as story-driven too (some interesting things here), but so far I have no idea what the gameplay will be like:

like interactive fiction, eliminating the exploration completely, so that even if there’s a puzzle, it’s always right in front of you?

like Life Is Strange, where it’s also mostly a visual novel, but the player is required to (more like, allowed to) do some exploration?

like Rem Michalski’s games, which definitely put a strong emphasis on the story and the events happening around the player, but with more elaborate puzzles (often multi-step puzzles)?

I really wish it turns out closer to the third one, like The Cat Lady, Downfall: Redux or Slaughter (I really liked Slaughter: Act One; didn’t like Distraint, but only because the puzzle design was so poor).

And please not like King’s Quest, with story-driven pressing of arrow buttons to climb towers.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top