• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Saturday 28 March 2015

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

And here’s a screenshot from the third game in the trilogy: Goodbye Deponia (2013). Rufus may be an irritating egomaniac who has a unique interpretation of the saying “better safe than sorry”, but I had great fun with him and his friends. I loved switching between three Rufuses in the last game. Clever and very well done. The ending was satisfying too. Poki’s games always have a dark side and a twist, which is one reason I’m a fan. 

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I quite enjoyed the Deponia trilogy, and was one of the few who found Rufus’ witless narcissism to be delightfully funny, but since I did read Rufus as someone entirely unable to care for anyone but himself, I felt the very ending of the third game was so out of sync with his personality that, for me, it became unconvincing. I think such a drastic change of attitude would at least require some build-up. At first I even suspected that there had to be an alternate ending.

I too loved the part with the three Rufuses, tons of fun puzzles. Reminded me of the good old days where you’d have a large area to explore and many multi-step puzzles to work with at the same time. I really hope Daedalic will do more games like these.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 28 March 2015 08:22 AM

....... The ending was satisfying too. Poki’s games always have a dark side and a twist, which is one reason I’m a fan.

That comment is all I need along with those submitted ‘yesterday’ to get on with the last part to conclude the series - so I’m now expecting a good twist in the tale!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Dag - 28 March 2015 09:44 PM

I quite enjoyed the Deponia trilogy, and was one of the few who found Rufus’ witless narcissism to be delightfully funny

We might be the minority, but you are not the only one.

Dag - 28 March 2015 09:44 PM

but since I did read Rufus as someone entirely unable to care for anyone but himself, I felt the very ending of the third game was so out of sync with his personality that, for me, it became unconvincing. I think such a drastic change of attitude would at least require some build-up. At first I even suspected that there had to be an alternate ending.

I’m not sure I agree with this though, for me the ending felt very natural, and I always suspected that it would end with Rufus having to make some kind of sacrifice, and that it wouldn’t end with Rufus and Goal sipping champagne in Elysium. But I get your point.

Anyway as far as I’m concerned, the third game is the best in a great trilogy.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Iznogood - 30 March 2015 08:37 AM

...it wouldn’t end with Rufus and Goal sipping champagne in Elysium.

You’re right, that doesn’t sound like a very plausible ending either. [spoiler]I guess Rufus’ sudden impulse of selflessness just took me by surprise. I know a few people in real life who reminds me a lot of Rufus, and I’m pretty confident that they would never ever come close to considering making any kinds of sacrifices for anyone, regardless of the situation.[/spoiler]

On the other hand, it’s one of the few adventure game endings that I have a clear memory of, so it was undeniably a memorable ending Smile

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Spoiler ending: It was a bit suprising for me too, but he went down laughing at someone else’s misfortune, which is quite in character.

I agree that adventure games usually have predictable or even lame endings.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Karlok - 30 March 2015 12:34 PM

Spoiler ending: but he went down laughing at someone else’s misfortune, which is quite in character.

Hehe, that is true. Good point.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

The character of Rufus was the reason I never actually played the 3rd part of Deponia.
I got really tired of him around the mid of the 2nd game.

Perhaps I should give it a second chance.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Sefir - 30 March 2015 02:06 PM

The character of Rufus was the reason I never actually played the 3rd part of Deponia.

I gave up on Chaos at the “cotton bud” fight. Escape was OK if not exactly brilliant but it was worth finishing. Perhaps, like you Sefir, I should give it another go (but if I finish it I’d then have to go out and buy the final game).

Life is what it is.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sefir - 30 March 2015 02:06 PM

If you didn’t like spending time with Rufus the first time, chances are you won’t like it now either. Rufus didn’t bother me, but it’s impossible to feel much sympathy for him. 

Glad you’re back. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top