• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough #8-Drawn: Trail of Shadows

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Now you.ve really got me confused. Aren’t we all playing the SE version? I’ve never played the CE version so I have no clue what the differences are. I certainly didn’t expect there would be differences within the game itself. Just a bonus when the game is completed. There was no chest at the end of the Cave episode. Simply a pile of stuff lying on the ground. One piece of the pile was a painting scrap.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 26 March 2015 06:50 PM

Now you.ve really got me confused. Aren’t we all playing the SE version? I’ve never played the CE version so I have no clue what the differences are. I certainly didn’t expect there would be differences within the game itself. Just a bonus when the game is completed. There was no chest at the end of the Cave episode. Simply a pile of stuff lying on the ground. One piece of the pile was a painting scrap.

In the CE version, you find a key in that cave, that opens up a passageway down. It’s explicitly mentioned as being the CE bonus level, so I wanted to know what the difference was between both versions in that screen.

In the cave, and down the steps to the lower cave, you find a lot of coloured round rocks lying about that are connected to a puzzle in the lower cave. You also need to fix the lighting in a few spots, and there’s some more puzzles in that lower cave, culminating in the chalk outline section I mentioned.

It’s not an absolutely massive section to complete, but it does keep you well occupied for about 45 minutes or so. And completing it has an achievement linked to it… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’ve only played the CE version, so I didn’t realize there was a difference between the two.  It’s the first casual game I’ve ever heard that did the bonus material this way.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve reached the flower bridge.

rtrooney - 25 March 2015 07:36 PM

There was one puzzle that involves four carved puppets on trapezes. (I thought I had a screenshot of it, but I can’t find it.) You’ll know it when you see it. The puzzle is solvable by brute force, if you want to go through all possible combinations, which is the way I tediously solved it. I.e. assign each puppet a number 1 thru 4 and then start working the possibilities ... 1234, 1243, 1324, 1342, 1423, 1432, 2134 ... etc. until the puzzle is solved. If anyone runs across runs across a clue for the solution, I would love to know what it is.

There are four symbols at the top of the shield you used as a reference for painting those puppets. Those are the symbols you need to align to solve this puzzle. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well now I’m a bit pissed to find out that we are not all playing the same game. The CE version has always been an option, and has never inserted itself into the main, SE, game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 26 March 2015 09:23 PM

There are four symbols at the top of the shield you used as a reference for painting those puppets. Those are the symbols you need to align to solve this puzzle. Wink

Spoiler alert! Or lack thereof. I never made that connection. Stupid me.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 26 March 2015 09:34 PM

Spoiler alert! Or lack thereof.

Yikes! Oversight. Unintentional. Fixed. Cool

On an unrelated note: how many of those hidden hogs have you found so far?
I’m at 20 (out of 27).

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I got the CE, and I’m now down in the bonus section in the bottom of the cave. I’m doing the chalk drawing sequence with the old arcade-game-like music going on in the background. So far this hasn’t added any new information—just new puzzles.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 27 March 2015 07:09 AM

I’m at 20 (out of 27).

I don’t really know. Although finding them may be the same maybe it’s only the CE version that keeps track.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

I’ve reached the flower bridge, but didn’t get around to posting anything during the last section.

rtrooney - 25 March 2015 07:51 PM

Side note: Something unusual seems to be going on. That is that the number of comments on the playthrough is unusually small. I went back and looked at the Phantasmat playthrough, and the total number of comments was 150. We’re at 21! Granted we’re only halfway through, but I’m curious why there is such a drop off. Thoughts?

Yeah, so far this episode doesn’t have much discussion fuel. It looks and sounds great, but the story and puzzles don’t have that much to them. I’m still hoping for an interesting twist related to how this story is connected to the rest, though.

rtrooney - 26 March 2015 06:50 PM

Now you.ve really got me confused. Aren’t we all playing the SE version?

I’m on the SE version as well.

TimovieMan - 27 March 2015 07:09 AM

I’m at 20 (out of 27).

Ahah, hogs. Clever! I can’t believe I didn’t make that connection. The SE seems to have them, although it feels like a typical CE feature. I don’t see any way of telling how many I’ve found, so maybe they’re available to find but there’s a prize only in the CE?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Harald has posted. How many others have reached the Flower Bridge? Tomorrow is the day we finish this episode, and I’m wondering whether it’s OK to cut everyone free at this point. We seem to have lost a few players along the way. Chrissie and Sefir being two.

I’m going to try this, but I don’t think it will work. I did go back and replayed the puppet puzzle.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I can’t believe I totally missed that clue. I was concentrating on the color is my only excuse, and it isn’t a good one.

Nope! Didn’t work. I tried putting the image inside a spoiler code hoping you would have to click on the spoiler to see the image. Guess there’s no way to do that.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I just reached the flower bridge a few minutes ago.  I’ve been shifting boxes of books into storage all day because I’m having some repairs and painting done.

TimovieMan,
I have about 18 piggies so far.  I may have missed a couple along the way.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve reached the section with the windmills. Nice animation at the transition. There seems to be a theme here of anthropomorphizing the scenery. The sequence with the chalk drawings had me gaping at the flexibility of this type of magic. Why couldn’t Iris just draw a hot air balloon in Drawn: Painted Tower and escape? Or further, if you’re the bad guy wizard, how do you control a prisoner (like the boy) who can change reality literally with a mere few seconds while in possession of a pen or pencil?

I have 14 HOGs. I rarely manage to complete this sort of collection unless the game practically blows trumpets over the areas I need to search.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Here we are on a nice Saturday afternoon. There’s a message that tells us what we must do.

We soon find ourselves here ...

which is were the game will end. Hopefully with a resolution everyone will be satisfied with.  Smile

A few quick notes: There is one puzzle that, superficially, will seem quite hard, if not impossible to solve. It’s actually quite easy, but will require you to think about the solution in an entirely different way than the hint suggests.

There is also an “action sequence” towards the end of the game. You can’t die, but it seemed like it took forever to get past it. It’s another one of those “tedious” puzzles that I love so much.

There’s no finish-by date. But let’s just say that discussion of the games will start on Tuesday, March 31.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I have completed the game.  I had forgotten about that shooting puzzle.  Unfortunately, my once decent archery skills are quite rusty now.

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top