• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #32: Toonstruck

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per h…

Wait, wrong Christopher Lloyd’s character! Sorry, no time-travel here, but hey - there’s an interdimensional travel!

Welcome, dear trapped-in-a-cartoony-world fellow players to Toonstruck Community Playthrough! Ever since early Warner Bros days to Marry Poppins and Who Framed Roger Rabbit… the authors had been toying with the idea of a live actor combined with a cartoon. But it was not until Toonstruck (1996) that the idea was fully exploited also in a classic adventure game. Even though the FMV avatar had already been used with the hand-drawn world before, Toonstruck story closely follows the concept of a “two worlds” as you’ll yet to see in the intro movie. Not to spoil much, you’re a cartoon animator Drew Blanc (Christopher Lloyd), and as the company’s biggest show “Fluffy Fluffy Bun Bun Show” 10th anniversary is approaching, you’re assigned by your boss (Ben Stein) to draw more cute bunny characters. Long into the night and meeting the deadline, Drew is out of the ideas (hence the name), as all he’d wished for was to include his favorite creation - Flux Wildly (Dan Castellaneta) in company’s portfolio, instead of more bunnies.

Like a cramming student, naturally, Drew falls asleep. With a stormy night outside (“The only power source capable of the necessary 1.21 gigawatts of electricity is a bolt of light… uhh, sorry, no more associated-franchises quotes, I promise), something weird happens when you wake up…

Before you plunge into the game’s world:

threatened by an evil Count Nefarious, let me just tell you that Toonstruck is a classic 2D comedy adventure, with a vast of inventory fun along the way and few twists! Not only that Toonstruck includes several “gameworld-observing” and non-typical puzzles (and to a less fun - few action sequences), the game has one unique concept - in order to create the anti-machine, right at the beginning you’re given the blueprint of an original machine, and need to find the 12 opposite items. Well, “opposite” as far as the cartoon logic goes! Grin

As few of you already stated that you’re not in the mood for a comedy, perhaps you’d still like to find something in it - especially if you’re fan of Warner Bross, Hanna-Barbera, The Simpsons, 90s Cartoon Network… as Toonstruck is a true tribute to those, and it doesn’t hide it. Still, it maintains its own story well enough (well at least until the “sort” of a “cliffhanger Tongue), with some wonderful music along the way…

Where to get it, will it work?:

Boy, am I glad I’m doing this playthrough now, instead of only few years ago! Toonstruck is (among all the marketing and financial issues) known for many problems with working with newer systems, although I’ve been successfully been using latest version of DOSBox previously. But now it’s even easier - the game has not only been added to Scumm support, but has been only recently added to GOG as well, and made the life of a playthrough gamemaster (and all the players) easier. If you already own the non-GOG version, like I said, get the latest DOSBox (install and play the game with it) or ScummVM, and you’ll be fine.

That’s it, to give everyone some more time to settle in (and to give myself enough time to finish TWW Tongue ), we’ll start with the first chapter on Thursday (or Friday, if some of the players are still busy with The Whispered World). Cutopia is waiting for you…

Playthrough Schedule:

Part 1: Reach Zanydu!

Part 2: Enter the Wolf’s Lair!

Part 3: The Cutifier!

Part 4: Find Ray!

Part 5: The Malevolator!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Toonstruck is a great game, I’m sure all the players will have the time of their life/lives.
Like the couple on my latest avatar.

Cuntopia, here we come!

diego - 02 March 2015 11:24 AM

DOSBox

Booooo!!!

or ScummVM

That’s more like it!

P.S. Nice map. Where did you lift get it?

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Toonstruck is one of my favourite games of all time. Tim Curry as the evil Count Nefarious is simply brilliant, and Dan Castellenata (Flux Wildly), with his long list of “Outstanding Voice-Over Performance” Emmy Awards, is easily one of the worlds best voice actors of all time (most of you are probably quite familiar with his voice work already, as he does Homer Simpson, groundskeeper Willy, Dr. Hibbert, Seymour Skinner, Grandpa Simpson, Krusty the Clown, Mayor Quimby, The Moleman, Barney Gumble, Sideshow Mel, Krusty’s father, Artie ziff and many, many more..

With the notable exception of FluffuFluffyBunBun, the voice acting in Toonstruck is a pure delight to listen to.

I also quite like Christopher Lloyd’s character’s name in this game. A cartoonist has run out of inspiration, in other words, he drew a blanc - Drew Blanc. Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ve got the gog version ready to go. I don’t think I’ve played the game since the release date. That Virgin eye at the beginning brings back memories…
It seems Ben Stein always plays the same kind of character.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I’m very curious are there gonna be players new to the game and what their impressions will be.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Bogi - 02 March 2015 02:08 PM

I’m very curious are there gonna be players new to the game and what their impressions will be.

Maybe Bogi! I’ve never played the game before, installed it from GoG & played the intro (it looks fun!) but I haven’t had time to finish TWW yet but hoping I can do that & catch up with Toonstruck sometime maybe?

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Grrr.  GOG’s version for Macs is for 10.7.  I’m going to see if I can get a used copy to run in ScummVM.

Edit:  I found a copy on eBay and should have it by the end of the week.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Got the game. Watched the intro. Ready to go! Cool

I’ve held the box to this game in my hands dozens of times back in 1996/1997, contemplating to buy it. Took me almost 20 years to actually do so…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

As few of you already stated that you’re not in the mood for a comedy, perhaps you’d still like to find something in it…

I think Toonstruck is an excellent game, but I still don’t think that I will join this playthrough, partly because it’s not the kind of game I’m in mood for right now, and partly because it haven’t really been that long since I played it for the first time.

But I look forward to reading you comments, and might even add one or two myself.
And who knows, I always reserve the right to change my mind.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 03 March 2015 06:16 PM

I’ve held the box to this game in my hands dozens of times back in 1996/1997, contemplating to buy it. Took me almost 20 years to actually do so…

That’s what I call PATIENCE! Grin

zobraks - 02 March 2015 12:01 PM

Nice map. Where did you lift get it?

King Hugh gave me, naturally.

Iznogood - 04 March 2015 03:29 AM

and partly because it haven’t really been that long since I played it for the first time.

Oh, well that’s something else, I was mainly referring to the first timers. But it should still be interesting to play it with others even if you already played it. Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

OK, you can now start to game, AND - I’ll give you a one whole week to reach the Zanydu, so anyone who wants to finish TWW playthrough or haven’t got their copy can still catch up. Remember, you can do and go wherever you want, but stop once you reach Zanydy (or at least, don’t do anything in Zanydu for now).

Run in ScummVM:

If you own the original 2 discs version, you need to copy:

• ACT1 folder
• ACT2 folder
• MISC folder

into the desired directory on your hard drive, and then use that directory in the latest ScummVM.

Gameplay tips:

- “Escape key” skips the line of a dialogue.
- Right-mouse click gets you instantly to a next screen

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

As a first-timer: what’s the Zanydu and/or will I know it when I see it? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 05 March 2015 06:25 AM

As a first-timer: what’s the Zanydu and/or will I know it when I see it? Tongue

You haven’t looked at the map, have you?! Tongue

Oh, you’ll know when you see it. Wink And don’t worry - Toonstruck is linear enough in that way that you can’t mess the things up - just play normally as if you would do, and stop when you reach the Zanydu.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Dag - 02 March 2015 12:31 PM

With the notable exception of FluffuFluffyBunBun, the voice acting in Toonstruck is a pure delight to listen to.

Yes, marvelous voiceacting. I just started the game, watched the intro, talked to the butler footman. I’d forgotten how good the voice of the cute cutesy king is, I love listening to him. But IMO FluffyfluffyBunBun’s voice is great too. She’s meant to be annoying.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m playing the GOG version—haven’t played this game before—nice opening video. Why do I find anyone with charming manners and a big smiley face to be extremely suspicious?

A question—the only way I seem to be able to quit the game is using alt/F4. Is there a better way?

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Becky - 06 March 2015 07:38 AM

A question—the only way I seem to be able to quit the game is using alt/F4. Is there a better way?

The original menu key was F5 (with “quit” option), but if you’re playing ScummVM/GOG version that key has been taken by the ScummVM save menu. You can call the ScummVM menu though, with ctrl+F5 and quit, or alt-enter the window and then close the window with a mouse.

Karlok - 06 March 2015 03:20 AM

I’d forgotten how good the voice of the cute cutesy king is, I love listening to him.

Absolutely! Wonderfully calm voice acting! Grin

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top