• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

How important are graphics to you in an adventure game

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Detective Mosely - 26 January 2015 06:17 AM
Zifnab - 25 January 2015 07:17 PM
millenia - 25 January 2015 06:51 PM

if you make some right choices, you will miss out some really sick fighting scenes.

Thank heaven for that. When I tried Fahrenheit the first scene/puzzle/whatever was of me killing someone in the public bathroom. That was enough to make me uninstall and cross Quantic Dream off the list forever. I don’t think adventure games should have that kind of stuff. Yuck.

Really?  What you’re describing was the entire premise of the game as I had heard it.  (You wake up in a bathroom with the body of a man that you apparently killed—but you don’t know how or why this happened—and you need to find a way to get out of there without getting caught.)

Why would you even buy the game if the premise bothered you so much?  It’s not a game about killing people.  It’s a mystery. 

But unfortunately that mystery has a really stupid answer.

The whole game is stupid. If I woke up after killing someone I’d turn myself in to the police, not try and hide the body and run away like I was guilty. And the combat - if there was some kind of ‘fists or brains’ mechanism like Fate of Atlantis, that would be fine, but the game forces you into it just like it forces you to run from the police. Which is the opposite of a game company touted for giving you “choice”.

There is also the difference between violence and violent themes. Still Life has violent themes but presents them tastefully; Mortal Kombat is just violent and tasteless. I would say the same of any game which asks you to shoot people or beat them up. Unless it’s self defence like QFG’s combat usually is.

But I don’t know why we’re even talking about this. What does it have to do with graphics?

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

chrissie - 25 January 2015 08:26 PM

Sorry Renacimiento, I overlooked your question - I think it was Silent Hill 2. I played the 1st one which was not my scene really but found it intriguing enough to buy the 2nd. I would agree with your sentiments as far as the 1st goes but found the 2nd too focused on the action as on eliminating most of that by playing on ‘adventure’  there really wasn’t a lot of content as already said - it was boring!!  Smile

Don’t worry darling. It’s okay.

Well.. Silent Hill has always been a game more focused on the psychological aspect of the characters, but there is also the need to eliminate enemies in pursuit of progress in the game and I understand that maybe if you remove that element can become a little boring.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Zifnab - 26 January 2015 06:33 AM

The whole game is stupid. If I woke up after killing someone I’d turn myself in to the police, not try and hide the body and run away like I was guilty. And the combat - if there was some kind of ‘fists or brains’ mechanism like Fate of Atlantis, that would be fine, but the game forces you into it just like it forces you to run from the police. Which is the opposite of a game company touted for giving you “choice”.

There is also the difference between violence and violent themes. Still Life has violent themes but presents them tastefully; Mortal Kombat is just violent and tasteless. I would say the same of any game which asks you to shoot people or beat them up. Unless it’s self defence like QFG’s combat usually is.

I don’t really think the game is about choice at all.  It’s a very linear story as I remember it.

It’s more just a noir-ish story about a guy on the run trying to figure out what is going on.  I’d say it’s less violent than most video games and movies.  It doesn’t present violence in a positive light.

Plus you play the detective side too, as they’re also trying to figure out what is going on.  The most interesting aspect of the game to me was the fact that you’re controlling two sides of the same story that are opposing each other.  In the start, at least.  Before the story devolves into a two-bit fantasy story.

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

if you make some right choices, you will miss out some really sick fighting scenes.

Thank heaven for that. When I tried Fahrenheit the first scene/puzzle/whatever was of me killing someone in the public bathroom. That was enough to make me uninstall and cross Quantic Dream off the list forever. I don’t think adventure games should have that kind of stuff. Yuck.

Why so many prejudices? How can you enjoy something if you’re so full of ties and thinking what topics may or may not be in a game? Especially adventure games should be the most honest, sincere, open and experimental as they can, even if they have to deal with “strong and polemic” topics. At least I prefer games that way.

Zifnab - 26 January 2015 06:33 AM

There is also the difference between violence and violent themes. Still Life has violent themes but presents them tastefully; Mortal Kombat is just violent and tasteless.

Tastefully? Tasteless? And what does Mortal Kombat here? It’s not an adventure game, so the comparison is neither good nor serves as an example, imo.

~

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Renacimiento - 26 January 2015 11:04 PM

Why so many prejudices? How can you enjoy something if you’re so full of ties and thinking what topics may or may not be in a game? Especially adventure games should be the most honest, sincere, open and experimental as they can, even if they have to deal with “strong and polemic” topics. At least I prefer games that way.

Because games don’t “deal with topics” the same way as fiction (books and movies) does. In a game it’s ME doing those things and just like I wouldn’t rape someone, torture a child or run over an elderly woman in my car, I wouldn’t murder someone and run from the police. You might like to do all those things, and that’s okay I guess in a way, but still fucked up in another way. I mean where would you draw the line? What “topic” is a game where you (and not someone else) run around killing animals “dealing with”?

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Zifnab - 26 January 2015 11:14 PM

Because games don’t “deal with topics” the same way as fiction (books and movies) does. In a game it’s ME doing those things and just like I wouldn’t rape someone, torture a child or run over an elderly woman in my car, I wouldn’t murder someone and run from the police. You might like to do all those things, and that’s okay I guess in a way, but still fucked up in another way. I mean where would you draw the line? What “topic” is a game where you (and not someone else) run around killing animals “dealing with”?

Although they are different forms of expression and entertainment, you always put yourself in the skin of the character, even when you read a book, watch a movie or play a game, but that does not mean that indeed it is “you” who does these things, the difference is important. If we can not distinguish that simple fact, then we have a problem and we must ban everything that deals with those topics. Yes, some games are fucked up just like many movies, but personally I see no problem with that.

I wouldn’t rape someone, torture a child or run over an elderly woman in my car, I wouldn’t murder someone and run from the police.You might like to do all those things, and that’s okay I guess in a way,

Oh please, what are you saying? Me neither would do those things.

~

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I fear you missed my point. I’m not saying games and real life are the same, but adventure games have always established very simple motives for their main characters. Sherlock’s is to solve crimes, Guybrush’s is to become a pirate, etc. Those are harmless goals no one would argue against. As soon as you get to “tap X to murder someone” territory, you’re going to get people asking “why?”. It’s up to you where you draw the line because it’s only a game, and for me it used to be all harmless fun. My issue isn’t that it’s harmful, it’s no longer fun. I can’t put myself in that character’s shoes any longer.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Zifnab - 27 January 2015 12:19 AM

I fear you missed my point. I’m not saying games and real life are the same, but adventure games have always established very simple motives for their main characters. Sherlock’s is to solve crimes, Guybrush’s is to become a pirate, etc. Those are harmless goals no one would argue against. As soon as you get to “tap X to murder someone” territory, you’re going to get people asking “why?”. It’s up to you where you draw the line because it’s only a game, and for me it used to be all harmless fun. My issue isn’t that it’s harmful, it’s no longer fun. I can’t put myself in that character’s shoes any longer.

By your logic, you must not enjoy any books written from a first person point of view, or really any books or movies that give you insight into characters’ internal monologues, unless of course that character’s actions fit your exact personal definition of proper and fun behavior.  Why would games be any different?  They’re all escapist entertainment, especially story-driven adventure games.  The main character is not a reflection of the reader, viewer, or player if the character is clearly defined within the narrative (like Guybrush and Sherlock, to use your examples.)

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

That’s your logic Lambonius, not mine, and it’s pretty twisted logic at that. Actions by book characters are all performed by external entities; in games, I am the actor.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

And how about those choose-your-own-adventure books? And visual novels? Like in games, you will have restricted choices, but you can make the choices.

In Fahrenheit those action scenes actually have a valid reasoning to them, it is explained by the plot. And while the story in the end indeed is a bit too fantastical I don’t personally think it was awful. The whole “fast forward a month and don’t properly explain what happened meanwhile” was in my opinion the bigger reason while the ending of the game “failed”.

I really like dark and twisted themes and to me the beginning of Fahrenheit was one of the best beginnings of games (even though it’s totally ripped off from Dark City). Not only what actually happens but having a logical and quite well implemented timed sequence(!) and making you learn the controls really fast cleaning yourself up. Then you can investigate the same crime scene as a police. It was awesome.

I wouldn’t really enjoy any kind of entertainment if I got annoyed every time the protagonists do something I personally wouldn’t. I’m an escapist and part of it includes me being different, not just the world around me. But if someone likes to always play a character that is almost identical to themselves irl, it’s their choice, and I wont call them twisted for that.

Btw to me Silent Hill is way too much, I can’t play them, even the movie gave me tons of nightmares. I don’t particularly enjoy splatter or very violent action but I definitely can handle it much better than really sick psychological horror.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Zifnab - 27 January 2015 01:37 AM

Actions by book characters are all performed by external entities; in games, I am the actor.

If the character and his motivations are clearly defined by the plot of the game, you don’t really have any true agency.  There are certainly exceptions, like RPGs that are built around choice and branching narrative paths, as well as some of the older adventure games where the character really was more of a blank-slate avatar for the player (King’s Quest 1 comes to mind.)  It sounds like you’re describing your own inability to separate yourself from the characters in the games you play.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Of course there’s agency. Picture this: Your character is standing in front of a child and the screen says “click to hit child”. Now, you can either click or quit and uninstall the game. For me, no motive would justify this action. It sounds harrowing as an example but Renacimiento wanted to talk serious, so here it is.

And yes, you can also close a book but if you don’t perform an action in a game, the story stops. The story in a book still goes on without me doing anything.

millenia - 27 January 2015 01:51 AM

Btw to me Silent Hill is way too much, I can’t play them, even the movie gave me tons of nightmares. I don’t particularly enjoy splatter or very violent action but I definitely can handle it much better than really sick psychological horror.

It does affect you. Sometimes you don’t realize it until later. It took me a while to realize how much I was actually disturbed by that stuff on a subconscious level, because it’s something that isn’t openly talked about.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Zifnab - 27 January 2015 04:53 AM
millenia - 27 January 2015 01:51 AM

It does affect you. Sometimes you don’t realize it until later. It took me a while to realize how much I was actually disturbed by that stuff on a subconscious level, because it’s something that isn’t openly talked about.

Yes, I stay away from survival horror because I find it too disturbing. But I like plenty of other disturbing things and I can honestly say that I do enjoy them.

Just now I finished a few incredibly twisted bad endings in Togainu no Chi (another Japanese VN) and inside I was just going “awesome”. The first playthrough in these games I usually end up with a good ending and pairing up with some nice friendly character because I tend to choose more kind options by default. But eventually I enjoy getting the whole picture so I’ll go through every option there is. And I think it’s very good that these options exist in all kinds of games, it would be really boring to always play lawful good characters.

I end up being an angel in Fable like games too but now and then I want to try and see the other side too, I was contemplating restarting it with a male lead and trying to be as evil as I can - which will be hard but I think also interesting. And I’m not afraid that experience would make me evil irl Smile

How do you play a game like WoW for example with two factions that see each other as the evil one? And if you play both sides and/or read the lore you understand that neither side really is the good or evil. Then can you play at all?

I wouldn’t play a rape simulator or any game where you are some kind of domestic abuser but I do find for example Lucius very interesting and will play it once I find the suitable time. We just have our line for uncomfortable in a very different place. And I just can’t think actions in game to be the same as irl, otherwise I would have to cry for every bunny I accidentally killed with AoE in WoW.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Speaking of graphics, check out these beauts from indie Dick Ricko: Case Of The Flying Dutchman, a Police-Quest style adventure.

I’m not a big fan of 3d graphics in adventure games but this guy gets it right.

I’d also love to see an adventure with 80s Monkey Punch-style graphics and animations. That’d be soooo sweet.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

In a game it’s ME doing those things and just like I wouldn’t rape someone, torture a child or run over an elderly woman in my car, I wouldn’t murder someone and run from the police. You might like to do all those things, and that’s okay I guess in a way, but still fucked up in another way.

This is ridiculous, and kind of offensive that you suggest that anyone that plays a game that contains anything unethical wants to do those things in real life.  99% of people are able to separate reality from fiction.

And once again, in Fahrenheit even the main character does not want to kill anyone.  It happens against his will.  So this is a really poor example of the type of game that you describe.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top