• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

R16 Bracket 3 - The Big AG VS Tournament

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 22 January 2015 01:54 PM

He he - the interesting question here is of course “why it makes us fell better”, what is the evolutionary purpose behind altruism? It doesn’t quite fit with the “selfish gene” theory, though studying ants might give us the answer to that question.

Too much off-topic?

I’ll not reopen the old Syberia CP thread! Tongue
(You are already expected in TWW one)

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Iznogood - 22 January 2015 11:51 AM

I actually believe that she had subconsciously and emotionally already broken off with Dan long before she learned the he had slept with her best friend.

Agreed. But (and this is part of the problem I have with Kate Walker in Syberia) there was never any convincing explanation for why she was with a t**t like him in the first place. The role she supposedly had/ person she supposedly was before Syberia (as a game) actually starts just doesn’t work for me. Hence her “changing” just comes across as fake as she never felt like a status/career driven person in the first place. I see in the Community Playthrough that TimovieMan comments about the inconsistency of her character early on. Her character design was, imho, fundamentally flawed - Benoit Sokal is clearly more an artist than he is a (character) writer.

And that decisive moment at the end?
Well some will probably claim that she does it because Hans needed her help and couldn’t do it alone, but that is not how I see it. As I see it it is something that she does for herself. She has just been given the opportunity of a lifetime to go on a great adventure and to do something completely different with her life, and she grabs that opportunity with arms and legs, though doing so doesn’t come natural or easy for her.

On this part, I’m largely with you. The whole emotional impact of that final scene was based, as far as I’m concerned, on it being Kate finally rejecting her old life based on materialism and status. But, nonetheless, also on her rejecting this in favour of idealism, “magic” and helping Hans.

And yes, I would recommend scanning though the CP, there was a lot of interesting discussion, and lot of different interpretations of what the game is all about, of course we all had our own interpretations and basically didn’t agree on a single thing, but that only makes it more fun.

LOL. 6 pages through, and yep, interesting stuff so far.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

subconsciously and emotionally already broken off with Dan long before she learned the he had slept with her best friend.

Oh I completely forgot that, it was the most stupid thing in the game. That totally crippled her character development. What!? She couldn’t do it without an excuse?
That would do 99% of the people so the whole dragging with boyfriend was totally unnecessary. We don’t learn anything about her from that.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

But .. I think it wasn’t necessary a deep explanation about Kate’s past before Syberia (as for example why she was with him (Dan) in the first place), only small details of her previous life were enough, I think.

It is not always essential for a game (and even a movie) provide us with all explanations on a tray, sometimes it can be done subtly.  With little details here and there, I personally didn’t see as “fake” her change of “attitude”, it seemed natural to me. And by the way I do thought at first that she was there only to fulfill her obligations and professional work and nothing else.

Sefir - 22 January 2015 01:24 PM

(Ha! I doubt that BS could start such philosophical/influential discussions like Syberia. Tongue)

haha.. I highly doubt it!

PS: Sorry for extend the offtopic.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

People here seem to be missing the most obvious point about the change in Kate. Syberia was written by Europeans and based within Europe if moving (North) Eastwards during the game. Kate is an American. What better way to show how much more spiritual and life enhancing Europe is than by showing the change in character of an American lawyer from a grasping, somewhat selfish, pushy, superior person to a more spiritual, giving, understanding and caring person. Europe 1 - USA 0   Grin

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Grim Fandangooooooooo
Broken Sword

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

When we were talking about female characters, how could I forgot Zanthia from Hand of Fate, probably the best female lead in adventure games. Sassy, intelligent, brave, sexy, resourceful, with a keen fashion sense Grin lady to behold. April, Kate, Zoe, I’m sorry but you can only fight for the 2nd place (and that if Nico lets you Tongue )

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Bogi - 22 January 2015 07:33 PM

April, Kate, Zoe, I’m sorry but you can only fight for the 2nd place (and that if Nico GLaDOS lets you Tongue )

Fixed. Tongue

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

You forgot one more lady:

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Ladyboyguy Grin

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’d like to have more cross-dressing heroes. Even the ones we have now are like 5 minute things and made into jokes.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 122

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

Match 2 - Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars

I must refrain from voting on match one, as both those games seem like they were sharted out of a Nintendo 64 and I don’t see the appeal of them.

Where can we find a list of the entire bracket system? I suspect many of these sharty games only managed to survive this long because they were put up against sub-par opposition, meanwhile I have seen several cases where two excellent games were pitted against each other.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

AdorableMogwai - 23 January 2015 05:41 PM

Match 2 - Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars

I must refrain from voting on match one, as both those games seem like they were sharted out of a Nintendo 64 and I don’t see the appeal of them.

Where can we find a list of the entire bracket system? I suspect many of these sharty games only managed to survive this long because they were put up against sub-par opposition, meanwhile I have seen several cases where two excellent games were pitted against each other.

Overview
(here you may find all the info about previous round, including group stage)

Bracket 1
Bracket 2
Bracket 4
(also these brackets are still open for voting)

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Just to bump this thread as it seems it received a lot less votes that the first two brackets.

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

Damn, I missed the first two of these brackets. And this is where it starts to get really exciting!

1: Grim Fandango.
I love Discworld Noir as much as the next one, but GF still wins this one.

2: Syberia. Both great games, but I’m voting for the underdog this time.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top