• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Name ___ Adventure Games

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Timovieman agrees, Zifnab does not.  Neutral

So, do we at least agree that people constantly make up their own rules? Like, no more than one from a series. In that case I will feel free in future to ban text adventures whenever it’s my turn to post the new assignment. I can make a long list of text adventures without a kitchen.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Whatever floats your boat, Madame Karlok Smile

The “no two games from a series” makes sense though - no one wants to see “name 5 AGs with combat” solved with QfG I through V. That’s no fun.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Zifnab - 29 November 2014 08:20 AM

The “no two games from a series” makes sense though - no one wants to see “name 5 AGs with combat” solved with QfG I through V. That’s no fun.

So you don’t mind seeing “name 5 AGs with combat” solved with 5 text adventures you didn’t know existed? And before anyone asks: yes, turn-based combat is possible. Everything is possible in a text adventure.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Well now that’s a question Timovieman is more equipped to answer. I don’t consider text adventures another class of game altogether. There are just adventures, non-adventures and casuals to me. But personally? No I don’t mind. I thought that was the point of the thread somewhat, to surprise us.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

Jigsaw’s a Graham Nelson game, and Nelson’s the creator of Inform, the most popular text adventure creation system. It’s one of the best known games in the IF community. Even so, it would be unfair to request it as the ONLY possible answer… which is why I left an alternative hint.

I have no objection to people answering with games I’ve never heard of, and actually think that’s a plus. Seeing answers that include, say, adventure games that weren’t ever published in English would broaden my exposure to games that other people like! I do think that questions shouldn’t REQUIRE obscure answers. They should remain an interesting option for answerers, though!

Trick questions that rely on well-known games are better than ones that require obscure games. The “kiss to solve” question was broad enough that you could tackle it in a few ways! “Games where you play as a canine” was trickier, and I deliberately limited the magic interface question to angle for the coolest answers (Gray Matter as an outside-the-box answer, Death Gate for the rune puzzles…)

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

What I’m getting from your post, Witchie, is that you’re making your own rules. I’ll do the same.

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Whatever answer fits the task is okay by me, but if it’s an obscure title, give some information about the game in your answer.

Oh, and by the way, if no one answers within a reasonable amount of time, say a day or two, the task setter must give the answer and set another task.  There’s no need for hints.  Smile

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Name three ags were you need to drop an inventory object you happen pick earlier, in order to proceed/solve-a-puzzle/stay-alive…etc!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 29 November 2014 08:10 AM

Timovieman agrees

...to some extent, not completely. And I’m not setting any rules for others, I’m just stating what *I* would do.

Zifnab - 29 November 2014 12:09 PM

Well now that’s a question Timovieman is more equipped to answer.

Why is that? It’d be just an opinion, like anyone else’s…

I don’t consider text adventures another class of game altogether.

I don’t either, but there are so many insanely obscure ones, that I’d be reluctant to use them in a thread like this. The same goes for freeware and casual games…

Lady Kestrel - 29 November 2014 04:59 PM

Whatever answer fits the task is okay by me, but if it’s an obscure title, give some information about the game in your answer.

^ I agree with this.

As for putting up rigorous rules for this thread, please remember that this needs to remain fun...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

Karlok - 29 November 2014 01:26 PM

What I’m getting from your post, Witchie, is that you’re making your own rules. I’ll do the same.

That’s a good idea in general. The person who poses the questions should set the terms.

For example, a person could specify “Name three graphic adventures…”

There’s no need to make some kind of ruleset for the whole thread!

Edit:

Name three ags were you need to drop an inventory object you happen pick earlier, in order to proceed/solve-a-puzzle/stay-alive…etc!

Does the unstable ordnance in SQ4 count? You don’t technically need to pick it up, unless you’re going for a perfect score.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

well you need to drop it if you had picked it up and that’s what matters, so, yea it counts.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Advie - 29 November 2014 06:48 PM

In Broken Sword 3 you need to drop the sandbag, in Jack Keane you also need to drop the sandbag Grin and in Escape from Monkey Island you need to drop the rocks.

Name 3 adventure games where there’s some museum theft involved.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

The Dagger of Amon Ra (of course)
Time, Gentlemen, Please (Museum of Unnatural History)
The Cave (Time travel segment)

Name three commercial adventure games with graphics where a key is used in an unconventional way. Just using a key to open a lock, even if the key is turned around and the handle is used instead, doesn’t count.

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

Since it’s been a week with no bites, here are the answers I came up with for games where “a key is used in an unconventional way.” I’m sure there are others. Puzzle spoilers ahead!

Unconventional key use #1 is in Freddy Pharkas: Use the handle to open a beer bottle.

Unconventional key use #2 is in Dinotopia: Melt one to make a gear.

Unconventional key use #3 is in The Prisoner: At various points in the game, you could be thrown into a maze. Normally, you’d use commands to find your way out, but there was a trick.

If you pushed the ESC key on your keyboard… you’d instantly escape!

New challenge:

Name three graphic adventure games where the player character must be eaten/swallowed alive, or otherwise end up in another organism’s stomach, to finish the game successfully.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

This was tough, the two I remembered right away, but missed the third one. So:

Curse of Monkey Island - snake

Tales of Monkey Island - manatee

King’s Quest 4 - whale

Name 4 adventure games with a strictly OVERHEAD game world map (slight isometric view doesn’t count.)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top