• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cage Match#2 (The Greatest of the Great)

Poll: DotT vs GF
Total Votes: 25
Day of the Tentacle
Grim Fandango

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I agree with Izno and Sefir as well. The controls in Grim Fandango (and Escape from Monkey Island) aren’t perfect and they have their quirks, but they’re nowhere near terrible. I’ve played plenty of games with way worse controls.
They just took some minor fiddling in the options and a small time of getting used to. By the time you visit the Land of the Living, you should be alright, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Reminder : the vote will be sealed up, in three days, Thursday-18th of December .

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

TimovieMan - 14 December 2014 08:57 AM

The controls in Grim Fandango - you should be alright, imo.

It’s probably quite possible to use the back of a knife to hammer in a nail. With some training, you might even get good at it, but that won’t make the knife a better hammering tool than a hammer.

Some people even excel at digital drawing with a mouse, but it’s still like drawing with a shoe compared to using a drawing tablet.

You can brush your hair with a needle, play guitar wearing mittens, chop a tree with a herring (you would have to be very determined, and the tree in question would have to be very soft), wipe your behind with your left arm (if you’re a rightie), paddle a boat with a rake, or go sky diving using your grandma’s underwear as a parachute, but…

...In most crafts, not having proper tools is detrimental to enjoyment, particularly if you’ve already experienced doing the same tasks with better or more effective tools, and then have them taken away from you.

How much this bothers the individual is, of course, individual. Some may even enjoy brushing their hair with a needle, but I dare to guess most would find it frustrating. People can get used to the strangest things if they have to, even living in cages. That doesn’t necessarily make it bearable for everyone.

The controls of EfMI never bothered me much, but I play that on Playstation, using a controller.

EDIT: The left arm wiping isn’t the best analogy now that I think of it, as the left arm actually CAN be trained to be as effective as the right (or vica versa if you’re a leftie). I’ve almost become ambidextrous after breaking my right hand numerous times Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Dag - 15 December 2014 09:24 AM

The controls of EfMI never bothered me much, but I play that on Playstation, using a controller.

To each his own.
I’ve started playing EfMI with a controller and tossed it out to continue with the (for me) easier keyboard… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

TimovieMan - 15 December 2014 11:49 AM

]To each his own.
I’ve started playing EfMI with a controller and tossed it out to continue with the (for me) easier keyboard… Tongue

Hehehe Smile As you said, to each his own Smile

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

almost 24 hours to seal up the result, and no need to lock the thread this time, as long as we can not lock also the votes!, so whatever the result going to be, it will be posted at the original post (and detailed this time), so however ‘even’ if it changed later on in future, wont change anything/the-final-result-of-the-match.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Does that mean I should reopen the first cage match?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I think yea, since what’s gonna matter at the end is the the final result of every-match (posted at the OP), every-time each match reaches its purpose/end.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

It’s not that Grim’s controls are that screwed per se, it just that when you’re coming to them from the free flowing point and click mouse scheme it sort of feels like jumping from a Lamborghini into a Yugo running on fumes (not that I’ve ever ridden in any of those two, but you get the point). Not a dig at Tim since they had to go 3d because it was the hot new thing and the higher ups demanded it. Had Grim had the point ans click option to begin with, as much as I love DoTT it wouldn’t nearly be so close a tie…

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Ding Dong, Match is settled, Grim Fandango Wins!

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Mr Underhill - 17 December 2014 07:10 PM

It’s not that Grim’s controls are that screwed per se, it just that when you’re coming to them from the free flowing point and click mouse scheme it sort of feels like jumping from a Lamborghini into a Yugo running on fumes.

Yeah, that’s a good way of putting it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top