• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

kanaifu

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough #4 - Enigmatis: The Mists of Ravenwood

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

There were some intriguing developments in that last battle with Whitmarsh. I loved the part where Whitmarsh says to the Priest/Preacher: “Sassy as ever. But we both know Master favors me.” Sort of a “Dad has always liked me best—nah, nah nah nah, nah” statement.

Also, when the Priest/Preacher has been seriously wounded and is lying on the ground, with Hamilton also lying unconscious nearby, the UH says this: “I can’t leave him this way now – not after he gave me a second chance!” I think she is referring to the Priest/Preacher, not to Hamilton. So she definitely is showing some sort of fellow feeling for this demonic creature. I wonder if that’s why she doesn’t succeed in withdrawing the knife from the heart once she’s plunged it in? Or maybe it was impossible for anyone to draw the knife out until the tree had imploded?

Which made me wonder—what is this “imposter” thing about? The tree is the imposter? Or Whitmarsh is the imposter? I wasn’t clear on that bit.

furgotten - 07 December 2014 12:28 PM

[spoiler]I am also curious as to what a demon acolyte does all day. Whitmarsh for instance lives in that moldering old mansion, supposedly without any conveniences. What does he enjoy doing? Does he enjoy his human form at all? Is he human with supernatural powers or supernatural with a human shape?

Well, he’s been spending a lot of time looking for the dagger. Tracking down what happened to all the other Reapers. And creating that raven thing must have taken some time. And he’s been experimenting with ways to draw power from ritual slayings by using the trees. But other than that, I’m not sure. Building up his powers, waiting for the final confrontation, I guess. I think he’s human with supernatural powers, a human who has been corrupted by a demon, rather than a demon himself. But I don’t think I can prove that. It just seems right.

TimovieMan - 05 December 2014 11:59 PM

Yeah, I’m playing the CE version. Interesting that they’d only include achievements in the CE, is that common or is it usually just a bonus chapter and some extra options like the ability to rewatch cutscenes?

It’s fairly common for the CE to contain achievements that the SE doesn’t. Some people who don’t like achievements (they can break immersion, so you’re not fully paying attention to the game if you’re actively looking for achievements) wait for the SE version just to avoid the achievements. But occasionally you’ll also find achievements in SE versions as well. The most important part of the Bonus to me is the extra gameplay, or anything else that might add to/explain more about the story and characters.

Re: the discussion of Raphael. Could an archangel choose human form for a specific task and, once that’s over, return to archangel form? So, once the big battle had ended with Asmodai defeated but the Reapers still in the world to cause trouble, could Raphael appear in human history when necessary to thwart the Reapers, then disappear and later reappear in human form to thwart them yet again?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Becky - 15 December 2014 01:01 PM

Which brings up another question—how on earth did Hamilton hide the dagger from Whitmarsh once Hamilton was actually in the Ravenwood park? Wouldn’t you think that Whitmarsh would sense the dagger’s presence and pull out all the stops to find it?

I don’t think they can really ‘sense’ the dagger. It’s not the One Ring and the Reapers aren’t Sauron.
During the final confrontation, Whitmarsh suspends Hamilton in the air, demanding the location of the dagger. If he could sense it, then he’d either already know where it was, or he should have sensed us sneaking behind him with it…

Becky - 15 December 2014 01:18 PM

I think she is referring to the Priest/Preacher, not to Hamilton. So she definitely is showing some sort of fellow feeling for this demonic creature.

I think this is also in reference to The Silence of the Lambs somewhat. Quid Pro Quo. Something in the vein of “He saved me twice, so stabbing him when he’s down feels wrong.”

Which made me wonder—what is this “imposter” thing about? The tree is the imposter? Or Whitmarsh is the imposter? I wasn’t clear on that bit.

I think they just take the “deceiver” meaning of the word. “He who made the park seem more vivid than it was through illusion.”

I think he’s human with supernatural powers, a human who has been corrupted by a demon, rather than a demon himself. But I don’t think I can prove that. It just seems right.

I agree.

Re: the discussion of Raphael. Could an archangel choose human form for a specific task and, once that’s over, return to archangel form? So, once the big battle had ended with Asmodai defeated but the Reapers still in the world to cause trouble, could Raphael appear in human history when necessary to thwart the Reapers, then disappear and later reappear in human form to thwart them yet again?

I’m not convinced they ever truly take human form. Maybe just the human appearance, with all their powers intact. Once their business is done, they go back to being Archangels…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve gone back and watched all the videos in the “Extras” section (I really like the games that let you review the story this way).

After watching the final video in the main portion of the game, I think the heart in the screenshot at the top of this page—referred to as the “demon’s imposter”—draws the life force from victims and then stores it. In Maple Creek, the equivalent to the heart in the Ravenwood tree seems to the clapper on the church bell. The Priest/Preacher puts it in the altar as he is preparing to sacrifice a victim—there’s an image of it from the Maple Creek bonus game here as Emily is about to be sacrified.

Apparently it stores the life force from the slain victims, and then the Priest/Preacher puts the clapper/imposter in the bell to disseminate his power amongst the populace via sound.

So it’s a sort of superparanormal battery. Is this too way-out an explanation?

Apparently, at the end of Ravenwood, the last Reaper has the dagger (we don’t know for sure that Whitmarsh has been killed, but it’s strongly implied), but the containers of the life force that each Reaper has been building up have been destroyed by the UH.

I do hope Artifex Mundi is creating a third game to let us know how this all turns out.

Anyway, I happened across this calendar in Becky’s parent’s RV—a scene from Maple Creek.

And here’s one of my favorite scenes from Ravenwood—I like it because it’s so weird.

Izno—thanks for leading and showing us all such a good time!

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I guess there is one advantage to the CE version. When I run the bonus chapter on YouTube, I run it in a small window to maximize detail. But I also miss some stuff that I would see if I ran it in a highly-pixilated full screen. And, when I view the YouTube video, I do not stop and look around as I would if playing in real time.

Did the Bonus Chapter give me any “real” information I didn’t have before? Maybe a little. Enough to spend the extra $$? Probably not. It’s a hard call. And likely a game-by-game call that can only be answered by someone who has played both.

In this go-around it makes me root for Wishmaster. There is no CE. We all play the same game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top