• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m going this evening. Curious what Nolan does with this.

Let’s just hope I don’t get blinded by his and McConaughey’s track record… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I saw it yesterday and it was amazing. The visuals are fantastic as they go through a wormhole, skirt the edges of a gargantuam black hole and land on planets with frozen clouds or giant waves.

Nolan always goes for the big heady ideas and this is no different with a dying earth, colonisation, Tesseracts, Quantum Mechanics, 5th dimensional space, relativity time streatching and a sarcastic robot all thrown in the mix.

All that in what is Nolans most emotional film beacause behind all the big ideas it’s mostly about a Father Daughter releationship spun across time and space. It’s also a shot at Nasa and the world we are in at the moment. As it says in the movie “We used to look up at the sky and wonder about our place in the stars, now we just look down and wonder about our place in the dirt”.

I think the ending will split people and will be way too confusing for some, and while it’s not a perfect movie (The plot does tend to get a bit expositiony at times, and the music threatens to drown out the dialogue most of the time) I had a lot of fun with it.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Just got back from Interstellar. Once again a great film but I will need to let it sink in a bit more first, before I give a score. It’s shaping up to be a 4 out of 5, though.

It’s hard to discuss the film without needing to throw spoiler tags in. First thoughts are:
- great performance by McConaughey! The scene where he breaks down when watching 23 years worth of messages is heartrending.
- where Inception was one of Zimmer’s better soundtracks, this was weaker. The music in the scene where 10-year-old Murph is trying to get Coop to stay doesn’t fit and is just too loud. On the other hand, the soundtrack works wonders during the “necessary” (spinning) docking sequence!
- lots of big ideas incorporated in the film, very reminiscent of 2001: A Space Odyssey at times
- the sarcastic robot was brilliant! Bill Irwin sounds exactly like Willem Dafoe (in fact, until the credits I was convinced it WAS Dafoe).
- the robots reminded me of GERTY in Moon in more than one way.
- the film could have ended five minutes sooner for more ambiguity (and more parallels to 2001) and possibly more of an open ending

And now I’ll sleep on it. It’s necessary. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Interstellar - 4/5

My thoughts (see previous post) haven’t changed, and I haven’t run into any fridge logic.

Nolan is a genius.

And I agree with Lucien21’s review ^^ as well! Cool

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Hey Tim i am getting <span class=“spoiler” > on all spoiler text.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

subbi - 10 November 2014 05:09 AM

I haven’t seen it yet, but it’s on my list.

Most Christopher Nolan films are quite long, at least the more recent ones, so I’m pretty much used to that Laughing

I read that even most of the actors had a hard time understanding what they were supposed to be saying. For Nolan, just acting isn’t enough, you have to fully understand the role….which I imagine can be pretty tough on some of the actors, especially if they don’t have a personal Sci-Fi interest.

Best thing about Nolan is that he is not fond of CG like Tarantino.

He used it here but only when necessary its no all green screen affair like
most of the current Hollywood is.

So i support his films symbolically.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

nomadsoul - 12 November 2014 08:59 AM

Hey Tim i am getting <span class=“spoiler” > on all spoiler text.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/4532/

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 12 November 2014 09:01 AM

I agree that this is the best approach, yet only so few directors do it. Films with less CG and more practical effects tend to hold up longer before the CG becomes “obvious” and dated.

I also like the more limited use of shaky cam (but I’d be glad if he’d do away with that completely). I like to see what happens, not have it be one big blur. It’s why the cinematography for Sam Mendes’ Skyfall was so brilliant: steady cam throughout!

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 12 November 2014 01:13 PM

I agree that this is the best approach, yet only so few directors do it. Films with less CG and more practical effects tend to hold up longer before the CG becomes “obvious” and dated.

I also like the more limited use of shaky cam (but I’d be glad if he’d do away with that completely). I like to see what happens, not have it be one big blur. It’s why the cinematography for Sam Mendes’ Skyfall was so brilliant: steady cam throughout!

No physics and lack of weight kills Movies for me.

Thats why i tend to enjoy films with animatronics, prosthetics and other effects.

Furious series is worst offender when it comes to weightless cars.
Then some mix CG with real with baaad results, really kills immersion.

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2014-08-05

PM

subbi - 10 November 2014 05:09 AM

I haven’t seen it yet, but it’s on my list.

Most Christopher Nolan films are quite long, at least the more recent ones, so I’m pretty much used to that Laughing

I read that even most of the actors had a hard time understanding what they were supposed to be saying. For Nolan, just acting isn’t enough, you have to fully understand the role….which I imagine can be pretty tough on some of the actors, especially if they don’t have a personal Sci-Fi interest.

CGI can kill a movie, compare any original Star Wars movie with episode I. It looks terrible. Jurassic Park I also still looks awesome, due to the “lack” of CGI.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Nightcrawler = 9/10

After a long time, a somewhat refreshing Thriller.
Really liked the suspense, acting and cinematography.

Prisoner, this and Enemy etc. J.Gylenhaal is delivering hard.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Caught up on some animated movies on DVD:

Frozen - 3.5/5

Got off to a slow start, and made me groan when they started song after song after song within the first twenty minutes, but they lessened the musical aspect after ‘Let It Go’, right when the movie picked up the pace. It became a lot funnier as well at that point (thanks to Sven the Reindeer and Olaf the Snowman). All in all it’s a pretty solid (and surprisingly uncharacteristic for Disney) movie. Superb animation as well…
I’m liking this film a lot more after having slept on it than I did right after watching it. Probably because I wasn’t really in the right mood when I started watching and was turned off by the opening 20 minutes. My initial 3/5 has therefore been upgraded to a more deserved 3.5/5. Tongue

The LEGO Movie - 4/5

Well, that was funny. VERY funny. And had a great twist near the end…
I laughed my ass off during quite a few sections (SPACESHIP!), and I can never get enough of the kind of Batman parody we get here. Plus the amount of IP clashes is a great source for laughs. And the twist ending can even be somewhat emotional. Basically, Everything Is Awesome! Tongue
Fun stuff from directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. I originally dismissed the 21 Jump Street movie, but when I caught it on TV a couple of months ago I was pleasantly surprised by how good (or at least funny) it was. And now this from the same directors…
Makes me think I shouldn’t have dismissed Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (also by the same directors) a couple of years back… Meh

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Hey! I was expecting The Hobbit review! Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Next week. Wink

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I saw the Hobbit today, I think, like other Hobbit movies it suffers from being very bloated and more of LoTR prequel and not a The Hobbit adaptation. The battle of the 5 armies was nice but nothing after the big battles of Two Towers and Return of the King.
Still, the little there was of Martin Freeman was entertaining.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top