• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreamfall: Chapters

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Book 2 Teaser,

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The Longest Journey has been released as a remastered version on IOS. £4.99 in the UK.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-28-the-longest-journey-remastered-is-coming-to-ios-very-soon

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

That is a pretty decent teaser. I think it’s clearly meant for people who haven’t yet played the first book through, but the glimpses of Arcadia looked pretty sweet.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

They just updated the book 1. You can now turn off the lens flares if you don’t like them. Personally I didn’t mind them, as they do add to the atmoshpere, but perhaps I have a little J.J. Abrams in me.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I don’t mind them in concept, but their implementation in this game is a little bizarre, exploding into giant rectangles of color.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The Longest Journey has been released as a remastered version on IOS.

Got this - it’s very good. Looks amazing on the ipad.

Gives me something to play until chapters comes out on ios:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Dreamfall+Chapters/news.asp?c=51935

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I can’t imagine how they’ll make Chapters work on iOS. It barely keeps up on PC.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Either upcoming Unity 5 is far more resource effective or they just need to reduce the quality of the graphics signficantly. I really can’t see Chapters running on any mobile device as it is now.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Mikekelly - 30 November 2014 09:14 PM

Yeah, started playing yesterday and it seems like a great port. Now I only hope for the remastered version to hit the Mac/PC as well.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

tomimt - 01 December 2014 03:17 AM

Either upcoming Unity 5 is far more resource effective or they just need to reduce the quality of the graphics signficantly. I really can’t see Chapters running on any mobile device as it is now.

Would you even want to, what with the 3rd person view and controllable camera? I know that RTG is planning the iOS release, but I don’t see how this can be a similar experience as on the PC or Console.

Mikekelly - 01 December 2014 03:14 AM

Yeah, started playing yesterday and it seems like a great port. Now I only hope for the remastered version to hit the Mac/PC as well.

Yes, this looks great, especially on iPhone 6. The smaller screensize of the phone makes the somewhat blocky 3D models look better than on the iPad.
Though I think they were able to optimize the 3D models slightly, they are still quite blocky to my taste and certainly not redesigned from the ground up.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Some points:

1) Handhelds are MUCH more powerful today than yesterday. My ipad mini actually has some amazing graphics capabilities and has Retina display - which is wonderful.

2) Dreamfall:Chapters will be optimized for ios - which will look and play great - now how this will compare to a $2000 dollar high end gaming computer is anyone’s guess - but don’t be surprised if on an ipad mini with Retina display the game is comparable.

3) Finally, on my ipad mini with Retina Display TLJ:Remastered looks stunning - if Dreamfall:Chapters looks as good I’ll be happy.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Mikekelly - 01 December 2014 08:22 PM

Some points:

1) Handhelds are MUCH more powerful today than yesterday. My ipad mini actually has some amazing graphics capabilities and has Retina display - which is wonderful.

2) Dreamfall:Chapters will be optimized for ios - which will look and play great - now how this will compare to a $2000 dollar high end gaming computer is anyone’s guess - but don’t be surprised if on an ipad mini with Retina display the game is comparable.

3) Finally, on my ipad mini with Retina Display TLJ:Remastered looks stunning - if Dreamfall:Chapters looks as good I’ll be happy.

Heart

Yes, those are some good points Laughing

1) Yes, they indeed are. Though my “new” iPad (as it was called back then, or otherwise known as iPad 3) of course is not as powerful as the more recent versions. My initial point was not so much about the graphics capabilities, but more about the interface. I usually don’t like the touchscreen interface for controller optimized games. (at least to this point) You get this virtual controller on screen that simply does not work as well as the real thing. Obviously I haven’t seen how Chapters will work….

2) I’m sure it will

3) Yes, I should point out that I tried the remastered edition on both iPhone 6 and the large iPad. (I don’t know how much smaller the Mini is) I felt that the 3D characters’ blockyness was more apparant on the relatively large screen of the iPad. The iPhone 6 has a smaller screen and you get the same amount of detail. (so it’s not like the iPad version gets you a better or higher res/quality on the game) Plus the Apple store page indicates specifically that the remastered edition is optimized for iPhone 5S and 6. (for what it’s worth….)

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The thing is though that Unity engine seems to be pretty hard to optimize. While DC runs much better now than it did on launch, the engine itself is still an obstacle to make it run better than some other games with much higher graphical fidelity. RT devs have even stated, that they’ve pushed the engine to its limits and can’t really do much more to the performance, so optimizing DC to mobile devices, while they are pretty powefull, will be one hard task.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Unity is pretty scalable as an engine. But optimization isn’t so much at the runtime level, it’s optimizing the assets in a way that it won’t bog the system down. Europolis seems especially problematic because the whole thing is a million light sources. I’ve heard other devs talk about how optimizing was more a matter of finding ways to light a scene with fewer light sources.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

They do need to do far more with Chapters though, than just adjust lights. Most likely they need to reduce the quality of the models as well as make the textures much lower resolution.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top