• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

time loop adventure games

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Doom - 20 November 2014 09:59 AM
theo - 20 November 2014 03:49 AM

On a non game-related note. Has anyone seen the awesome german movie Lola rennt? It’s groundhog day but with way more beat. Check out the trailer if you dig “time loop” stories. (Not really a loop though? Maybe there’s a better term. “Time reset?”

One of my favourite German movies, very unique. It always felt like an adventure game to me, with its subplots, choices and sort of puzzles. I think Tom Tykwer might be a fan.

Two recommendations, good enough for me to order it. Smile
I also got myself Pulp by Bukowski. This forum has a lot to offer beside gaming.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I’m not a big fan of looping games (I gave up early on Orion Burger), but coincidentally I re-watched Primer and Looper last night and today am looking forward to reading Primer Explained.  Two trippy movies, especially Primer, if you haven’t seen them and like good time travel movies.

EDIT: I just remembered a looping game (or non-game according to some) I did like, but can’t remember the name.  It takes place in an empty office and is first person, and maybe the protagonist’s name is Simon?

Karlok, if that movie was “Run Lola, Run” in the states, I agree - very good movie.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Dara100 - 20 November 2014 12:52 PM

EDIT: I just remembered a looping game (or non-game according to some) I did like, but can’t remember the name.  It takes place in an empty office and is first person, and maybe the protagonist’s name is Simon?

The Stanley Parable?

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

I like Lola Rennt, it’s an interesting concept.

For other media using a timeloop:

Novels:
Replay by Ken Grimwood
Heir Apparent by Vivian Vande Velde

Movies:
12:01 pm (1990) watch here

12:01 (1993)

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Yep, the Stanley Parable.  How could I forget?
Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I just finished watching Lola Rennt (Run, Lola, Run). Yep, great movie, great music too. Not sure I got everything figured out yet. The flash-forwards of things that happened to the people Lola runs into were too fast for me, I’ll have to watch them again.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

If you’re fond of timeloops I can recommend the X-Files episode ‘Monday’.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Origami - 22 November 2014 04:17 PM

If you’re fond of timeloops I can recommend the X-Files episode ‘Monday’.

I’m partial to the Stargate SG1 episode, they play golf through the wormhole and ever time time reset Teal’c gets a door in the face.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

Karlok - 22 November 2014 01:41 PM

I just finished watching Lola Rennt (Run, Lola, Run). Yep, great movie, great music too. Not sure I got everything figured out yet. The flash-forwards of things that happened to the people Lola runs into were too fast for me, I’ll have to watch them again.

Glad you enjoyed it! I haven’t seen it in a long time, but yes, I remember having a feeling of not really having caught everything the first time around. The music is indeed awesome, and plays a big role in making the speedy concept work.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

theo - 23 November 2014 04:37 AM
Karlok - 22 November 2014 01:41 PM

Glad you enjoyed it! I haven’t seen it in a long time, but yes, I remember having a feeling of not really having caught everything the first time around. The music is indeed awesome, and plays a big role in making the speedy concept work.

I watched some parts again and noticed new things. The guy in the ambulance with the bad heart is the bank guard. Hadn’t recognized him! I did notice him gripping his heart when Lola threatened him with the gun, but hadn’t made the connection. Also hadn’t recognized Manni’s boss-in-crime in the black car that gets hit, probably because he’s in the background and I paid more attention to his bodyguards.

I like the movie even more now, love the ending with Lola’s little smile and the sound of a forward-flash that doesn’t materialize. I find the forward-flashes mysterious. It’s not clear how these lives become so different each time and Lola doesn’t have anything to do with it.

I wish I was a writer
Who sees what is yet unseen
I wish I was a prayer
Expressing what I mean

I wish I was a forest
Of trees that do not hide
I wish I was a clearing
No secrets left inside, yeah

Cool

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

There is a movie I’d like to recommend to anyone fan of the concept. But telling you what movie to watch inherently spoils it.

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

Karlok - 23 November 2014 10:57 AM

I watched some parts again and noticed new things…

I watched it again yesterday thanks to you bringing that up. I hadn’t noticed that either. Cool. I really dig this movie, probably largely because it does something kinda “advanced” but still keeps it very unpretentious. I dig that. And again, it’s got a rhythm and a beat that I haven’t really experienced anywhere else. Unique in many ways.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yeah, it’s unique. And very European, it could never be an American movie. I’m going to watch more films by this director.

I’ve been thinking about it. Got to watch it again for more details. But I’ve watched the scene with the bank guard in Lola’s third run a few times and only now does it begin to make sense. He goes to smoke a cigarette and makes a sarcastic remark about her being too late to see her dad, and she looks at him with anger and contempt. They stare at each other for a long time and slowly his face changes, he shows the first signs of fear and you hear this heartbeat get louder. Then Lola runs away, so that’s when he had his heart attack. Do they both vaguely remember the second run, when she threatens him with the gun and his hand goes to his heart? In the second run Lola knows where the safety catch is, in the third run she no longer bumps into the woman with the child, and Manni hears her shouting in the second run although there’s just as much noise, so there’s something weird going on. Like subconsciously learning from another reality. The kind of “resurrection fallacy” we see in adventure games too: the player has to die to get info on what to do next. 

Love it.  Cool

EDIT: I mean, would she have put a gun to her dad’s head if she didn’t know he was not her real father?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

How could I forget?! A Fork in the Tale! Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

You guys will probably like the movie Timecrimes as well. It’s a spanish movie.

Thank me later.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top