• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

PS4 or XB1??

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

That still doesn’t make any sense. That boils down to “if this makes 100 million next year, then that’s four times what it would have made sitting in the bank, so 75 million profit”. I’d still call that a 2.425 billion $ loss.
If they didn’t “invest” the 2.5 billion, they would only make 25 million, while now they will make over 100 million. Yeah, but if you would leave that in the bank and only make 25 million, YOU WOULD STILL HAVE 2.5 BILLION IN THE F#!%ING BANK!

I’m calling it a ploy for the top people at Microsoft to pocket an additional 50-75 million a year while not paying any taxes due to their high “sunk costs”.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Tad - 15 September 2014 05:34 PM
wilco - 15 September 2014 02:36 PM
Tad - 15 September 2014 02:25 PM

MS have said they expect to break even with Mojang by the end of the 2015 fiscal year.

That must be one heck of a deal with the devil if true.

Mojang had a profit of 100 million last year and Microsoft expects to break even in fiscal year 2015? I don’t get how this works… Meh

Ah, now it makes sense: http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/15/6153497/microsoft-minecraft-2-billion-deal

Pacther to the rescue!

That makes more sense, 25 million seems doable, poor Microsoft just had the 2.5 billion laying around “wasted” in a bank account Smile

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I think its a long term investment, Movies, Toys, Sequels and spinoffs etc.
With better strategies and care, the franchise can easily return BIG in 5 years.
Not to mention the sequels can drive more Xb1 units so it benefits the whole
ecosystem.
The only thing what matters to cover the 2.5billion and earn more is Customer fatigue
from franchise. If they can always find someone to play the series down the line, and
even expand it then its $$$ all the way.

Billion is nothing with good strategies imo, attach some microtransactions in Sequels and
they can hit billion in no time like Gungho Tongue.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Nooo! Micro transactions need a long walk off a short cliff.

I’m a bit surprised by how Minecraft took off and has managed to stick around. I got bored after about an hour haha. Though, I do prefer story driven games.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Leaks out in the wild from GG new IP , Scifi Prehistoric Fantasy ( Open world third person RPG, both Single and multiplayer with Screenwriter of Fallout:Vegas ),

PS4 2015 lineup looks insane

Order
Bloodborne
Ratchet & Clank PS4
Uncharted 4
Rime
Tomorrow Children
Tearaway Unfolded
Until Dawn
Hellblade
Wild
EGTRapture
To some extent NMS which is announced to be offline too
and
Horizon , which can slip into 2016 since there are too many Sony exclusives already.

Edit:

M$,ninty already lost in content.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

TimovieMan - 15 September 2014 05:52 PM

That still doesn’t make any sense. That boils down to “if this makes 100 million next year, then that’s four times what it would have made sitting in the bank, so 75 million profit”. I’d still call that a 2.425 billion $ loss.
If they didn’t “invest” the 2.5 billion, they would only make 25 million, while now they will make over 100 million. Yeah, but if you would leave that in the bank and only make 25 million, YOU WOULD STILL HAVE 2.5 BILLION IN THE F#!%ING BANK!

I’m calling it a ploy for the top people at Microsoft to pocket an additional 50-75 million a year while not paying any taxes due to their high “sunk costs”.

Most likely yes. I think it’s probably best to ignore the fiscal year statement and look at it like Nintendo. Nintendo got their fans early with games that appeal to kids at a young age. Look at Pokemon for example. It’s still going strong now and has showed little signs of dropping, so I guess MS are going to try and give Minecraft the same strategy.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Another chapter in a bloody console war Smile

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-07-ubisoft-defends-assassins-creed-unity-graphics-lock-for-parity-on-ps4-xbox-one

An Ubisoft Assassins Creed Unity producer said about the PS4 vs Xbone versions:
“We decided to lock them at the same specs to avoid all the debates and stuff,”

He should have kept quiet until release and keep those Microsoft marketing dollars. Now they seem to be trying to control the fire, it would be a disgrace if the PS4 is actually gimped for this. (but not surprising since the PC version always is…)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Almost read that as “Party” instead of “Parity”. Could’ve been fun… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Its ironic, there will be even more debates and shitstorm.

Maybe they meant debates with Spencer Tongue

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Wander is looking like it could be a fascinating game. A non-combat, non-competitive exploration-MMO where you start of as a (walking) tree and later can play as, for example, a griffin or a lizardy thing (and you also go underwater).

I wonder where the funding is coming from… Anyway, it’ll be on PS4 and PC

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Desperate m$ running sales promotion from Nov 2nd,
Get Xbone for 350$ with SunsetOverdrive, CoD AW or Assparity.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Only in America, I assume? Any source?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

UPtimist - 07 November 2014 03:56 AM

Only in America, I assume? Any source?

http://majornelson.com/2014/10/27/xbox-one-available-349-us-holiday-season/?linkId=10212303

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Out of stock already on Target and Walmart.

Got the 329$ deal from somewhere else, plus Sunset overdrive + KillerInstinct, total = 400$. Smile

Only WiiU to go probably next year with Zelda. Funny how M$ gone down to 329$ near WiiU 300$ deals. Infact Frys had promotion for 300$ XBONE UNITY BUNDLE.

This time of the year is crazy.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

nomadsoul - 27 November 2014 03:00 PM

This time of the year is crazy.

In America, sure. Over here, we get nothing Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top