• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Are adventure games really making a comeback?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’m currently waiting for Danganronpa 2 in the mail and I’m just as excited for that as I was for Discworld 2 or Twinsen’s Odyssey back in “the day”.

It is all about money. You make game - make money - make more games. Make lots of money - bigger budget. Game bombs - well…..............you could be out of business.

When the “The Longest Journey” came out - and yes—it had a million dollar plus budget - it was a hit. If it had bombed…..........

I’m playing Danganronpa 2 right now - it obviously is a great game today - here are the reviews:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-vita/danganronpa-2-goodbye-despair

I am certain that 2015 will have at least one “The Longest Journey” or “Danganronpa 2” released - and I will be gleefully playing it.

So far, my vote is on Syberia 3 to be released in 2015 and be simply amazing.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2014-08-05

PM

Bogi - 03 September 2014 08:33 PM

No, they won’t until we have a Monkey Island 3/6 (whatever) made with at least 50 million $ budget.
In the Golden Age adventures were the flagships of the gaming industry with budgets that reflected that.

If we still stay satisfied with crumbs from the table, we’ll never climb from mediocrity.

You nailed it. Adventure genre will stay on a life support for a long time. Too bad Frown.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Oscar - 02 September 2014 08:40 PM

It is a comeback of sorts, but mostly for the lover of 3rd person traditional point & clickers. Several years ago you could have said we were having a renaissance of Myst-like exploration in solitude games, especially of the horror variety.

That was the problem—they were mostly horror variety, and few were actually all that Mystlike (except for the RHEM series). Most 1st person games are not Myst-like.

If you are the type of person who loves those games, I imagine you would be pretty depressed with what is being offered in the way of new material. I doubt Bracken Tor will ever be released.

No Coven either. Remember Coven? From the developer of Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches.
http://www.arberthstudios.com/mainpage.html

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

Hmmm, best I could say is that it’s not in decline. Maybe on the rise somewhat, and definitely better off than 4 years ago. Certainly the market is smaller than for other genres.

Haven’t seen any evidence of a true comeback yet where the genre is close to approaching its former glory. But I’m optimistic about the future. Activision reactivating the Sierra brand, Disney remaking DOTT, etc. are positive signs of what could be coming next. Yes, there have been some Kickstarter-funded adventures that may not have lived up to original expectations, and there have been too many Phoenix Online-type products as opposed to high quality products, but at least adventure gaming can count on a very loyal, though currently small, customer base that doesn’t seem to be going anywhere.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

crabapple - 31 October 2014 02:56 PM
Oscar - 02 September 2014 08:40 PM

It is a comeback of sorts, but mostly for the lover of 3rd person traditional point & clickers. Several years ago you could have said we were having a renaissance of Myst-like exploration in solitude games, especially of the horror variety.

That was the problem—they were mostly horror variety, and few were actually all that Mystlike (except for the RHEM series). Most 1st person games are not Myst-like.

I see your point. By Myst-like I really meant exploration-based games without people or dialogue, but there were plenty of those before Myst: Shadowgate, Deja-Vu, LHOD.

If you are the type of person who loves those games, I imagine you would be pretty depressed with what is being offered in the way of new material. I doubt Bracken Tor will ever be released.

No Coven either. Remember Coven? From the developer of Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches.
http://www.arberthstudios.com/mainpage.html

That’s a shame, Rhiannon was great. Still, there’s hope (‘delayed’ instead of ‘cancelled’).

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

OrionO - 31 October 2014 09:46 PM

Yes, there have been some Kickstarter-funded adventures that may not have lived up to original expectations, and there have been too many Phoenix Online-type products as opposed to high quality products

I think your nostalgia glasses are forgetting that we had more than our share of bad games in the 80s and 90s as well. It wasn’t all GK or DotT back then either…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top