• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04Gabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

King’s Quest announced (Re-imagined by The Odd Gentlemen) 

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

subbi - 29 October 2014 08:44 AM

How do you know it will get the proper treatment? There was some concern voiced earlier that The Oddd Gentlemen have no credits on any real adventuregame either developed or produced, so why is this going to be any different from other attempts?

well i didnt say proper, but full treatment, meaning its going to have the $ with activision, accelerated time tables for a release, high quality standards, and an advertising campaign. Whether it meets your standards for a good adventure is another question. But it will be different from watching struggling kickstarters.. it already is.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Ok, so there is some proper financial backing this time around. But the creative drive is not very clear. There is neither an experienced designer nor development team involved….at least not one that has worked on this style of games.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Well, i think these kickstarters shouldv shown us that having an “experienced designer” in the genre doesnt guarantee anything. So yeah of course its not clear at this point what exactly this team is bringing to the table. We’ll find out.
Sure, a kickstarter headed by the williams wouldv blindly raised a ton of money, with no concept or direction really necessary. But now this team is apparently deep into development. and has a product thats already playable. I’ll take a quality product over name recognition every time.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

subbi - 29 October 2014 11:28 AM

Ok, so there is some proper financial backing this time around. But the creative drive is not very clear. There is neither an experienced designer nor development team involved….at least not one that has worked on this style of games.

Note that these are not officially released pics.  There has been no official reveal of the game yet, so of course the “creative drive” isn’t clear.  It’s good to maintain a healthy degree of skepticism, but it really is too early to make any kind of judgment call on this one.  Nothing official has been said about it, beyond the fact that it’s being made and produced by Activision, and revolves around an elderly Graham telling stories about his life to his granddaughter.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

I also think we know too little to conclude anything. The team behind it definitely seems up to the task, regardless of their past experience—or lack thereof within this genre—and this marks the first time Roberta and Ken have stepped out of retirement to attend a pre-production meeting of any kind. To me, that’s all that matters, really.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

zane - 29 October 2014 11:32 AM

Well, i think these kickstarters shouldv shown us that having an “experienced designer” in the genre doesnt guarantee anything. So yeah of course its not clear at this point what exactly this team is bringing to the table. We’ll find out.

I think this is worth a quote. Of course experience is a good thing, but having experienced devs doesn’t automatically lead into a succesfull end result.

But overall it is still a bit too early to star drawing conlsions in one way or an another about this new KQ game. Lets wait for some more info before we throw away the baby with the bath water.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

Anyone know what the estimated release date is?

I had the weirdest dream about this game last night. I dreamt that Josh Mandel was working on it and that he was rubbing my temples to relieve my headache (which was interesting because I did go to bed with a headache). And I kept asking him if the theme that we hear at the start of KQ5 was going to be incorporated, but he wouldn’t tell me.

Anyway, I know that Mandel isn’t working on the game (though maybe he will be involved in a future one?), and maybe me sharing info about my dream makes me sound kooky, but I don’t care and just wanted to let people know how excited I am about this. Seeing Ken and Roberta being shown a preview of the first KQ in about 16 years makes me very happy. One of the first computer games I ever played was a KQ, and KQ4 remains one of the adventure games I most enjoy replaying. The series has a lot of special meaning to me.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

That’s awesome OrionO! I’ve never had a dream featuring a Sierra designer before!

I’m also extremely excited for this new King’s Quest. Well, very recently excited. I guess seeing Roberta and Ken attending a production meeting changed a lot of things for me. King’s Quest IV is also one of my all-time favorites and the first game I ever played.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

subbi - 29 October 2014 06:03 AM

A new Kings Quest…..I have some severe doubts if this is going to work.
I know there is a LOT of nostalgia around this series (which I never understood to be honest), but you need more than nostalgia to bring this back succesfully.

Is the world in 2015 really looking for a new King’s Quest?
(I’m genuinly curious in case you’re thinking I’m being sarcastic)

To me, very much like Larry Suit Larry, and for different reasons obviously, this game is firmly stuck in the 80’s and early 90’s and I’m not sure this will still work.

And are the Williamses gonna be involved? Are they still capable?
Sounds like just a huge nostalgia fest to me….is this going to be the next SpaceVenture?

I don’t see any reason why fantasy nursery rhyme adventures are an 80s concept.

But what is this mention of SpaceVenture? I feel like I’ve seen that thrown around like it’s a pejorative these days. Was there some huge failure?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

RockNFknRoll - 31 October 2014 02:33 AM

But what is this mention of SpaceVenture? I feel like I’ve seen that thrown around like it’s a pejorative these days. Was there some huge failure?

SpaceVenture has been greatly delayed and the devs have admitted they aren’t as far as they’d hope they be in this stage of production. We aren’t even certain at what time the game will be released, as they don’t even dare to guess themselves. Only thing they’ve said about release, is sometime 2015.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tomimt - 31 October 2014 02:54 AM

SpaceVenture has been greatly delayed and the devs have admitted they aren’t as far as they’d hope they be in this stage of production. We aren’t even certain at what time the game will be released, as they don’t even dare to guess themselves. Only thing they’ve said about release, is sometime 2015.

yes tommy, and just mentioning/sharing that(btw.. ‘i mean’); thats more than a month ago, Scott had told ‘me’ it will be out/released after 9 months at most late (release date .. hehe rhymes?),
sounds like a hell of a ‘difficult birth’, but indeed it is, not just saying.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

subbi - 29 October 2014 06:03 AM

A new Kings Quest…..I have some severe doubts if this is going to work.
I know there is a LOT of nostalgia around this series (which I never understood to be honest), but you need more than nostalgia to bring this back succesfully.

Is the world in 2015 really looking for a new King’s Quest?
(I’m genuinly curious in case you’re thinking I’m being sarcastic)

To me, very much like Larry Suit Larry, and for different reasons obviously, this game is firmly stuck in the 80’s and early 90’s and I’m not sure this will still work.

And are the Williamses gonna be involved? Are they still capable?
Sounds like just a huge nostalgia fest to me….is this going to be the next SpaceVenture?

I don’t see any reason why fantasy nursery rhyme adventures are an 80s concept.

I may have jumped the gun there a bit. I’m not sufficiently informed to make that claim, though there certainly seems to be a lot of controverse around that project, where at least there is some debate about whether or not the dev team can handle the project.

Also, I’m probably a bit premature by stating my concerns on this project. I have no basis for them, other than my own pesonal opinion/taste of whether a Kings Quest type game still fits in this day and age. It just feels dated to me. Perhaps it’s even the word “quest” in the title that sounds off for a game that is now in production…. Laughing

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

Roberta Williams wrote to the new KQ designers after seeing work they had done on the new game:

http://blog.theoddgentlemen.com/post/101694832159/meeting-roberta-and-ken-williams

I am thrilled that Roberta seems so pleased with what she saw. The fact that Ken and Roberta seem so willing to show support for new designers and former Sierra deisgners shows what good, gracious people they are. Ken took time to appear in an online streaming radio show for the SpaceVenture Kickstarter, for example. Just wanted to publicly give them credit and show appreciation for their regular acknowledgment of both Sierra fans and former Sierra employees and designers who helped make the company.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

OrionO - 08 November 2014 02:11 PM

Roberta Williams wrote to the new KQ designers after seeing work they had done on the new game:

http://blog.theoddgentlemen.com/post/101694832159/meeting-roberta-and-ken-williams

I am thrilled that Roberta seems so pleased with what she saw. The fact that Ken and Roberta seem so willing to show support for new designers and former Sierra deisgners shows what good, gracious people they are. Ken took time to appear in an online streaming radio show for the SpaceVenture Kickstarter, for example. Just wanted to publicly give them credit and show appreciation for their regular acknowledgment of both Sierra fans and former Sierra employees and designers who helped make the company.

Good Share, i think they have nailed it completely,

I could see that you truly are the ones to take King’s Quest into the 21st century and reintroduce it to a whole new generation. You totally have it down!

I can’t wait to see how it develops, I can’t wait to play it myself – and I truly can’t wait to see how it blows away the competition!!

Best to you –

Roberta

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

call me a bipolar, but I cant seem to trust Roberta on that after all these years. inviting her and taking some shots with the Odd-man was nothing more than a smart and sneaky act from activision for prompting the game, that never would do it or Roberta any good..
I m staying away of any hype or excitement toward this project.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top