• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Name ___ Adventure Games

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

And in Paradise you can play as a big cat. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

you’re right, Sefir. I was so happy when I remembered Ralph, didn’t think twice.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

OK, I’m going to act as a vulture, and gather all your answers so we can continue with the thread:

The Cat Lady
Paradise

and I’ll add Keepsake Grin

Name 3 adventures where you get an audience with the king and/or queen.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

King’s Quest I
King’s Quest III
King’s Quest VI
(technically vizier)
King’s Quest VIII

And in case multiple entries from one series don’t count…

Conquests of the Longbow
Toonstruck

Name three adventure games where the main character is telling the story after the fact as a narrative framing device. (i.e., “You won’t believe what happened next…”) (Multiple entries from one series don’t count.)

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Runaway
Tex Murphy: Overseer
Discworld Noir

Name 3 adventures where a butterfly plays an important part in a puzzle.

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

Discworld
Ecoquest 2
The Witch’s House

Name three adventure games with unusual magic systems. (Instead of drinking a potion, or gathering ingredients and using a spellbook as in KQ6, or using lab equipment, or clicking a spell icon, or reading a scroll, the game takes the player to an unusual magic interface.)

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

WitchOfDoubt - 30 October 2014 05:51 PM

Instead of drinking a potion, or gathering ingredients and using a spellbook as in KQ6, or using lab equipment, or clicking a spell icon, or reading a scroll

What’s left?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

Besides clicking on a spell icon to cast, or using lab equipment, or casting using a ingredients + spellbook like in KQ6, or reading a scroll, or drinking a potion?

(Of course, assembling ingredients in a cauldron, shopping bag, etc, doesn’t count either.)

Why, there are at least three very well-known adventures that have magic interfaces that don’t work in any of those ways! If you want a hint, in two of the three ones I’m thinking of, getting ready to do magic takes you to a different screen. In the other, there’s a special magic interface built into the main gameplay screen itself.

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Loom is obviously one of them.
Good luck in finding the other two…

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

Loom confirmed as one of them!

Hint: In one of the other two, you only really use the unique features of the magic system once or twice. One cool puzzle in the endgame hinges on this interface, though. Perhaps you’ll remember that puzzle after further self-reflection.

As for the third game, seeing as I listed Gabriel Knight 2 for “games where you play as a canine,” it should be clear now that I like trick questions. Get it?

(In my opinion, a really good trivia question isn’t just about recall. There should be some twist or misdirection involved!)

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

If by “magic” you accept special powers as well (let’s say like the smells in Discworld Noir or the ability to read minds in The Space Bar), many games can be added to the list.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Trick questions… misdirection…

GRAY MATTER!

How’s that for thinking outside the box.  Cool

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Oknytt had a really unique magic system as well. It was focused in alterating the surrounding environments (aka screen) based on the 4 elements.

EDIT: Lilly looking through had a unique magic system as well, but I don’t know if it can be categorized as an adventure game.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So did Ghost Trick: The Phantom Detective. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

Gray Matter was indeed the third one I was thinking of! I like trickery in my questions; the answer should seem obvious in hindsight - of course that game has a “special interface for doing magic” - but not looking forward.

That just leaves the second… that said, I’ll take Oknytt or even (maybe) Ghost Trick as an answer! Any of you can start a new question.

(The second one I was thinking of was actually [spoiler]Death Gate, with its runecasting spell system.[/spoiler])

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top