• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckydiego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Improving the AG community - your thoughts on Kickstarter idea

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I understand we need to drag the AG website kicking and screeming into the future. That seems a very good idea to me and I would gladly back it. Better forum software would be great of course but I’m not so sure about the wikis. I don’t really see the added value of game wikis. I’m afraid turning the game information into wikis adds a lot of reviewing work to the maintenance of the site. All data that is added by ‘the public’ has to be checked by the staff. And I surely hope you will not turn the reviews into editable wikis. Reviews should never be edited after publishing them because they not only give you an indication of what the game is about and how it works but also of how it fits into the time it was released in.

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2011-02-27

PM

Just to reassure you, we definitely would never turn reviews or any other editorial content into wikis. These rely on having a single authorial voice as well as clear editorial control and consistency. Wikis would only be for game descriptions, development history, version info, and other ‘encyclopedic’ information. Moderation bottlenecks certainly are a concern (they already are for comments and user reviews, to be honest) and we’d have to limit wikis to members only.

There are some other game wikis out there but they typically only cover the most popular adventures, or just very little that’s below the mainstream radar. Even then, there’s some weird stuff there that’s clearly not written from an adventure genre POV. I read a description of Gabriel Knight recently on Giant Bomb that made a point about how the main character doesn’t have any weapons.

That’s the thinking behind the wiki anyway, we see it as a way to flesh out the 3000+ game entries that we already have.

Retired AG founder

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Marek - 09 October 2014 08:54 AM

I read a description of Gabriel Knight recently on Giant Bomb that made a point about how the main character doesn’t have any weapons.

It is true!!
He doesn’t!!

Grin

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I read a description of Gabriel Knight recently on Giant Bomb that made a point about how the main character doesn’t have any weapons.

HAHAHA that’s brilliant!

On topic: that’s a good idea to limit access to the wikis only to AG members. I think it’s wise to have a minimal posts limit as well to prevent spammers and the like.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

He does: The schattenjager dagger….even though there isn’t much use for it, aside from making himself bleed.
The talisman is also a kind of weapon, a defensive one Smile

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2005-07-14

PM

I would absolutely back this type of Kickstarter. It’s amazing to me how much Marek and Jack (and all of the awesome writers and volunteers) have put into this site; this site was my entry into the adventure gaming community, allowing me to review some of the best (well, and the not so good, hah) stories being created today. I love the passion the community has for the games as well as the involvement and interaction of game devs in the forum community, so I’d be all about supporting improving the site and the forums.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

The problem with Kickstarter is that if you don’t reach your goal you don’t get any of the money you raised. So maybe it’s a good idea to use an alternative like Indigogo.*

* They have the worst website I have ever seen for a company that delivers services. Even their page on How It Works doesn’t tell you how it works. Hell, even their Partner Terms leave many questions.

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2013-08-10

PM

EDIT: Bah, a re-read of Marek’s posts kind of addressed some of my issues, in that edits would be members-only, but I still worry that consistency might be an issue. Perhaps not a deal-breaker, but still something to consider.

Original Post: I would definitely contribute. While I don’t really have much of an opinion about the current state of the forums, I can definitely get behind the wiki idea for the game info pages. Seems like a great way to involve the larger community beyond just the forumites and writers. Sort of let everyone have an opportunity to get invested with AG’s future.

On the other hand, what concerns me most is having to deal with inconsistent/constant editing. The nice thing about it now is that Jack is the unifying editorial voice for the majority of the site, making it consistent in quality and professional in tone.

A wiki would (from my understanding) throw this idea out the window, and I wonder how that disconnect would reflect on AG’s reputation.

Assuming good-faith from all involved, a wiki is a fabulous idea for encyclopedic info. I just don’t want AG’s rep to become sullied because someone thought “hur hur, bewbs!” was an appropriate entry for the latest Nancy Drew game.

K R Parkinson - Staff Writer

Contact: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

This made me laugh!

And while I’m here, I’ll add my support to the Kickstarter idea. I would be more than willing to contribute an amount of money for the proposed features, having used the site for free for many, many years.

As a side note, I may be in the minority but I love your current forum software. I finally signed up today after decades of lurking and what strike me is how simplified it is over vBulletin and similar setups, where you typically have to spend one hour configuring your options when you sign up to become a member. I applaud such a streamlined design, to be honest. And it looks fantastic, too! With that said, I wouldn’t mind switching to something else either, if that’s what most people want.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Marek - 28 September 2014 08:00 AM

If we do swag we’d definitely need some help from a graphic designer. Smile We’d need vector graphics, preferably something that can be printed in 1 or just several colors.

I’d be up for doing this if you’re in need of someone—it’s the least I could do after years of enjoying the site Smile I recently designed the logo (and made a 2-colour t-shirt version) for Back in my Play, the retro gaming podcast. I’m a web/graphic designer by trade.

As for the Kickstarter, I’d most definitely back it. I agree that you should avoid physical rewards, and I think forum badges are fine to have. I don’t have a huge problem with the current forums but I’m all for making them better. I’m not the type of person who’d add to a wiki (I think), but the wiki format would be a much nicer way to find info on a game.

So these proposed changes wouldn’t include a general update to the design of the main site? There’s nothing wrong with it I guess, it just looks a bit dated now. Most sites have moved on to wider widths, bigger images, and responsive designs suitable for phones and tablet. Could make a great final stretch goal.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I don’t know if that is possible but how about selling T-shirts with the AG logo on it? Part of the price you pay then goes to the new site.

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Excellent, Marek and Jack! I’ve always hoped and wished for something like this to happen!

I’ll back this on the first day, and I’m sure many others will.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I was wondering. If/when you improve the site, will you also get a new logo? This one is getting a bit stale IMHO…

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

The goal to move to a better software is admirable, and I’m all for it. I know deep in my heart that the folks at AG are doing it for the benefit of the community, rather as a cash grab kind of thing. Also as an old timer,(10 years and counting Smile) I am giddy with excitement to get all the old posts back. I was bummed we lost most of them in the last transition.

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Sounds great! Count me in!

- Atle

Last Completed
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine ★★★

Currently Playing
The Night of the Rabbit 20% ★★★★★
Fran Bow 80% ★★★★
Batman: A Telltale Game Series 40% ★★★★★
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine 25% ★★★★