• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Actually, Jane Jensen published a walkthrough on the Gabriel Knight site, which not only tells you what to do, but explains some of the actions. Below you can find some quotes relevant to the Clock puzzle (in spoilers):

Placing the newspaper down, he speaks to Grace and asks if there are any messages
for him. Gabriel’s grandmother called, she wants him to stop by and go through his
father’s things. Wolfgang Ritter called again, he claims to be Gabriel’s relative, and our
hero asks for Ritter’s number. As he looks at the number, it dawns on him: doesn’t
he have a German poetry book by someone named Ritter? He checks the shelf for
the poetry book, in which a particular poem catches his eye but he can’t read
German. Our hero then inspects the nearby German dictionary and is then able to
make out the poem’s title: The Three Dragons. It seems like this was just a wild goose
chase, so he puts the books down and continues his conversation with Grace.

He goes towards the trunk and inspects it, finding a key underneath a picture. Next
he checks an elaborate German clock to the side of the trunk. It seems to have a
keyhole, Gabriel uses the key he found on the clock but nothing happens. The clock
is adorned with a picture wheel on which one of the images is that of a dragon. Its
mechanical parts allow him to rotate the position of the clock’s hands and the
picture wheel. Suddenly Gabriel remembers the Ritter poem, “The Three Dragons”.
Could this be it? He rotates the hands to say 3 o’clock and places the dragon
image on top. He rotates the key. This time it works!

So that basically means that according to Jane Jensen, the logic works as follows:

The Wolfgang Ritter phonenumber that Grace gives to Gabriel should trigger Gabriel to think about the poem, because a)german phonenumber vs german book and b)poem is written by a Ritter and Wolfgang is also a Ritter. Then Gabriel investigates the poem, but it still doesn’t make sense. Then once up in the attic he remembers the poem while seeing the dragon icon on the clock and just tries it out. It works kind of….but it still doesn’t really link anything to Gabriel’s grandfather and for me the indication that the poem belongs to his grandfather is quite relevant, though even Jane does not mention this in the walkthrough

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Heh, that was how I solved the puzzle when I first played the game last year!

I noticed the dragon symbol, remembered the “Drei Drachen” poem, and applied AG logic to try that on the clock. Worked on the first attempt… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Bogi - 24 October 2014 03:14 AM

Who do you consider are the three women that love Gabriel?

Isn’t this quite obvious? Grandma Knight, Grace and Malia. Basically there aren’t any more big female characters in the game, only like 2 more you can even converse with.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

millenia - 24 October 2014 11:18 AM

Isn’t this quite obvious? Grandma Knight, Grace and Malia. Basically there aren’t any more big female characters in the game, only like 2 more you can even converse with.

I was never sure if relatives count, to easy then to be loved Grin

So Gerde was my pick, but it would be too far fetched, she barely knows him at that point.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Bogi - 24 October 2014 12:00 PM
millenia - 24 October 2014 11:18 AM

I was never sure if relatives count, to easy then to be loved Grin

So Gerde was my pick, but it would be too far fetched, she barely knows him at that point.

Why wouldn’t a relative’s love count? I don’t love all my relatives. I have tons of them and I’d only say I really love just a few. Tbh I don’t think I would say I especially love either of my grandmas, though I certainly do care for them. If I talk about ‘being loved’ I certainly mean something much stronger than an aunt that thinks you’re cute and gives you a Christmas present.

Though I don’t even really recall when the whole point came across in the game.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2005-04-18

PM

I’d have to ask Jane, but I *think* at some point I read that the three women that loved Gabriel included Virgin Mary. I don’t know where this is from, but I have it in my head for some reason.

Also, thanks adventuregamers for such a glowing review!!! Smile

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

A Google search yielded this 2012 Reddit AMA where Jane Jensen says what her original intent was for the three women who loved Gabriel purely. Of course, since the game itself doesn’t specify, it’s still open to fan interpretation.

BTW, sincere congrats to everyone at Pinkerton Road, Phoenix Online, Signus Labs, and Activision on the remake, its positive reviews, and hopefully sales. I’m one of those people who was totally satisfied by GK1 in its original form, so in some ways I’m not the target for the remake in the first place. But I still am finding several things to appreciate about it, and I’ll write a post with some of those (probably this weekend—I’m still playing it) to counterbalance some of the critiques and descriptions I’ve given upthread of a few of the differences from the original that I have more mixed or disappointed feelings about.

Thanks for chatting with us, Cesar, Katie, Brian, and anyone I forgot. I know it takes courage sometimes, and I do wish we would all treat each other better.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Finally took the time to pick this up och play through it. It feels absolutely amazing to be able to experience one of my favourite games with new graphics and music.  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

I finished the game so let me say a few words about it. First of all, I didn´t have any bugs or crashes. I had some graphical glitches, but only on 2 scenes in Schloss Ritter ( white lines on the edges of screen).

The backgrounds for the most part look good, and in my opinion better than in Moebius. The biggest surprise for me were the cutscenes, they look really good (specially the one in bayou and the ending one), congrats to the people who were in charge of making them.

The voice acting is good, I liked Mosley, Willy, Malia, DR. John, and the narrator, but think that Grace wasn´t so good, Gabriel was ok but it was hard to replace the voice of Tim Curry.

There is not much to talk about story and music since it is great as in the original.

With the latest patch when you end the game, in game menu you can look through all of the additional content, like screens from the original and some commentaries, and that is a nice addition.

Overall I am pleased with this remake, it is faitfull to the original, even though it has done some things differently (some new puzzles and scenes). If someone would ask me which copy to buy, the original or this one, I would say both. This one is more easier to pick up and play, but the original is important for its historical significance and for the great voice acting.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

It’s nice to read more positive comments about the game. I liked Moebius—I didn’t love it but I liked it—and am looking forward to play this as well.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I’m amused by the amount of angry comments on the AG review.  So many people wanted this game to crash and burn on this site; they can’t grasp the fact that a non-nostalgia-colored review would rate the game as highly as it did.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2014-10-25

PM

I finished the game (I thought I should state that, as if I understood the thread right, it entitles me to critic remarks).
It’s not bad, but it’s not great either. Compared to original it is worse. And I think that’s the main problem: the critics here try to address the fact that the remake is indeed step back, the supporters can’t understand that (“Hey, it’s still pretty good game!”).
In fact there are 2 ingredients. The first one is great base material by Jane Jensen (and let’s not forget the others - she stood on shoulders of giants from Sierra - and looking from today’s perspective it might have been even more important than we thought). The second part is execution by Phoenix - underpaid and underskilled, but overambitious. There’s no need to go over again through the flaws of current iteration of GK, as they were extensively discussed.
This uneven mix of ingredients is responsible for heated discussion: the remake is not bad (actually pretty good) because of its ancestor’s excellence. That explains good overall metacritic score. But on the other hand, the execution is poor. And what makes me anger the most, this cheap copy of original (with many of original animation removed, with unlikable Gabriel portrait and voiceover, with primitive animations, just to name few examples) is expected to be praised, for the sake of “adventure games scene”. As I understood Cesar’s intention it was “shut up and pay or there won’t be no GK4”. Well, if it’ll be made by Cesar and his enthusiastic kids - no thank you, I’ll pass.

EDIT: corrected typo

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I think there are some fundamentally different views on the reasoning behind making a “remake” that are at the core of a lot of the debate here.  A lot of people seem to equate the term “remake” with “improvement,” and that’s simply not the purpose of many of these kinds of projects.

In my view, the purpose of doing a contemporary remake of a 20 year old game is not to “improve” the original, it’s to make the things that people loved about the original available to current audiences in a way that is more palatable to the tastes of current players.  I think GK20 succeeds on that end in pretty much every way.

That said, there are also different TYPES of remakes.  If you look at a lot of the fan-made remakes, those aren’t even trying to appeal to contemporary audiences, they’re trying to appeal to a very specific niche of existing fan.

That GK20 tries to do both may be its biggest stumbling block.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It’s not at all surprising that players new to GK1 like it, as it still is quality writing that holds the game. I still haven’t played the full game, but I did try the demo and it really isn’t the disaster I was afraid it would be after Moebius. There is room for improvement, what game doesn’t, but at the same time it shows that POS has evolved greatly technically speaking, as the demo itself is void of many of the annoyances I had with Moebius on technical level.

If you give them good enough material to work with, I do believe they are capable team, GK1 shows that much.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lambonius - 29 October 2014 08:16 PM

A lot of people seem to equate the term “remake” with “improvement,” and that’s simply not the purpose of many of these kinds of projects.

What is the point of remaking anything, if you don’t intend to improve it?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top