• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Steam vs GOG

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 22 October 2014 05:52 PM

Useful for gaming in more then one device

Yeah, I only game on one device, so pretty useless for me…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 22 October 2014 05:53 PM

Fair enough, but I was just saying how it can be useful.

I actually use all digital services (gog, steam, origin, battle.net, uplay, etc), so you probably won’t see me complaining much about them Smile
All of them have advantages and disadvantages. My first choice is the one with the better price.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I prefer GOG because I can avoid the whole client thing, but I’ll use whatever service is necessary if a game is exclusive to one or the other. Uplay is a pain, though. It rarely works all that well when I play with friends in co-op, where it has problems recognizing if anyone from my friendlist is online so I can invite them and so on.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

If I have a choice GOG. I’ll even pay a premium for games on it and if a game is not available for preorder there (like a Golden Wake), I’ll wait until release to get it there. I usually prefer kickstarters I back to guarantee that I’ll get a key on GOG… Now I wish I had gotten a key for QFI on GOG instead of steam as a backer…

The reason I chose GOG is mostly due to DRMs, I like GOG’s stance. I also really like their website and interface and like centralizing things there. Getting a game on humble bundle kind of gets me there in term of DRM but I much prefer GOG’s interface (I hate waiting for the humble bundle library to load).

I do have quite a few games on steam because of bundles I bought but I’ve avoided buying directly from Steam.

Edit: Writing this post made me realize I hadn’t asked for a GOG key for QFI as a backer, I asked for it and got it Smile  Thanks Blackthorne.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

crabapple - 22 October 2014 01:18 PM

After one of their so-called updates, the Big Fish client stopped working at all on my game computer—so NONE of the games I’d bought from them could be installed and activated on that computer.

I totally respect that position. I have had occasional problems with BFG but thankfully not that one.

One thought. There may be a conflict when trying to play a BFG game because not everything uninstalls when you uninstall a game. To get rid of all the dregs, including saved games go to the following directory

C:\Users\(yourname)\Appdata\Roaming

Look for and delete any Folder/File that contains information pertaining to games purchased from BFG. The Folders will probably be listed by game publisher.

With that done, you might want to uninstall the BFG Game Manager one last time and reinstall it from this link. Then try to reinstall a game. Hopefully that will get you up and running again. If it doesn’t we’ve at least eliminated one more problem from the list.

We’ve missed you on the Casual Games thread. This sure explains why.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2008-01-31

PM

I have used both Steam and GOG, earlier I preferred GOG, nowadays I prefer Steam, mostly because the game updates are automatic and I don’t have to check when the updates are available. Hopefully the upcoming GOG Galaxy client will keep the games automatically updated. I also use EA’s Origin, and it’s okay too.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Zifnab - 22 October 2014 04:50 PM

What TimovieMan said. (and that’s not something I say very often!) Smile
Steam isn’t getting my money, nor any other product with online-DRM crap.
And why in the seven hells would you want your saves stored on a “cloud”? Just put it on my hard drive, thanks.

I’m pretty sure they are also on your hard drive, but the cloud save is convenient. I changed computer recently and with Steam and Origin, you simply download the game again and you can continue where you left of.

No worry of finding and moving your save games, which is mostly ok, but some games manage to drop these on very vague locations.(The Longest Journey was the strangest I believe in that respect)

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

TimovieMan - 22 October 2014 05:53 PM

1. DS
2. ???

And for some reason I thought you needed a PC to access the internet but I must be just old-fashioned Pan

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Zifnab - 23 October 2014 05:42 AM

1. DS
2. ???

And for some reason I thought you needed a PC to access the internet but I must be just old-fashioned Pan

Obviously, I was referring to PC games only.

Last time I checked, my 3DS wasn’t compatible with Steam and GOG. Wink
The (3)DS can access the internet perfectly fine, though. Grin
It’s just not very convenient.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 23 October 2014 06:57 AM
Zifnab - 23 October 2014 05:42 AM

1. DS
2. ???

Obviously, I was referring to PC games only.

Last time I checked, my 3DS wasn’t compatible with Steam and GOG. Wink
The (3)DS can access the internet perfectly fine, though. Grin
It’s just not very convenient.

A portable device to play games on the Steam library would be great. Maybe something like the Steamboy will exist someday:

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

If possible, I will always choose GoG over Steam (though anything with direct control, I’ll usually get from PSN). Steam, Origin, or anything of the sort, which forces you, not only to install their add-packed spyware, but also to log on and run the games from within the client, has on several occasions prevented me from being able to play certain games because the steam/origin servers have been down/unable to sync files/whatever. Though this only applies to online-games, it’s still annoying when it happens, as it could have been avoided if not for the stupid requirement to sync files with the steam cloud. I much prefer just getting the GAME I want, DRM-free, nothing more. Steam sucks. Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

I wouldn’t say that Steam sucks. Imho they made DRM a lot more acceptable than when DRM was forced on games on CD through destructive means such as Starforce.

Compare it to those days and Steam is simply great.

DRM-free is great too, but you can’t expect all titles to come DRM free, it simply won’t work for bigger titles anyway as there would be too much pirating interest.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Well, you’re right about that. I’ve gotten used to steam, and I also have origin, but I’d rather have none of them, and have the games separately.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

GoG has a virtual bookshelf.  Case closed.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

subbi - 23 October 2014 09:16 AM

I wouldn’t say that Steam sucks. Imho they made DRM a lot more acceptable than when DRM was forced on games on CD through destructive means such as Starforce.

Compare it to those days and Steam is simply great.

DRM-free is great too, but you can’t expect all titles to come DRM free, it simply won’t work for bigger titles anyway as there would be too much pirating interest.

All non DRM free games are pirated. DRMs hardly stop pirates from putting the game to download on bittorrent. What it does instead is create difficulties for legit users of the games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top