• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445TimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreamfall: Chapters

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 22 October 2014 02:02 PM

S***bot!!!  Laughing  Grin Grin

The new Crow Grin

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

RxBandits123 - 22 October 2014 01:29 PM

Darthmaul…have you played the game?  I would definitely call this an adventure game and does a better job of combining choice gameplay with logical puzzles than The Walking Dead.  There is nothing too challenging but there are a few that involve combining items and multiple steps to complete that would definitely take someone new to genre a little while to figure out.  To people that are veterans of point and click games they will not struggle at all during this first chapter.  But the fact that it wasn’t hard doesn’t mean it is not an adventure game.  It definitely improves on Dreamfall in many ways. 

If you are only a fan of hard-core puzzles and games with generic or no story to get in the way of the puzzles than I would definitely avoid this game.  I am biased in the sense that I enjoy this game world so much that I would be cool with it just being a book or something but the fact that it’s a game and a decent one at that I’m excited for the next parts.

I never said that it wasn’t an adventure game.  Even Telltale games are in the adventure genre.

Why the false dichotomy with the hard-core puzzles/generic story and great story/easy puzzles?

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

darthmaul - 22 October 2014 12:28 PM

In your opinion there is.  In my opinion, it is so minor as to be indistinguishable.

No, in fact there is. In your opinion that difference is unimportant. In my opinion it’s very important.

But I’m really not sure what your opinion is adding to this conversation.

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Frogacuda - 22 October 2014 02:24 PM
darthmaul - 22 October 2014 12:28 PM

In your opinion there is.  In my opinion, it is so minor as to be indistinguishable.

No, in fact there is. In your opinion that difference is unimportant. In my opinion it’s very important.

But I’m really not sure what your opinion is adding to this conversation.

The same thing any opinion adds to any conversation.  What is your opinion stated in this post adding to this conversation?

I suggest you learn to deal with different opinions more productively or avoid forums. You, and a few others, seem to work in overtime trying desperately to discredit people with differing opinions rather than simply letting it go and accepting that not everyone will share your point of view.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2009-10-24

PM

darthmaul - 22 October 2014 02:13 PM

Darthmaul…have you played the game?  I would definitely call this an adventure game and does a better job of combining choice gameplay with logical puzzles than The Walking Dead.  There is nothing too challenging but there are a few that involve combining items and multiple steps to complete that would definitely take someone new to genre a little while to figure out.  To people that are veterans of point and click games they will not struggle at all during this first chapter.  But the fact that it wasn’t hard doesn’t mean it is not an adventure game.  It definitely improves on Dreamfall in many ways. 

If you are only a fan of hard-core puzzles and games with generic or no story to get in the way of the puzzles than I would definitely avoid this game.  I am biased in the sense that I enjoy this game world so much that I would be cool with it just being a book or something but the fact that it’s a game and a decent one at that I’m excited for the next parts.

I never said that it wasn’t an adventure game.  Even Telltale games are in the adventure genre.

Why the false dichotomy with the hard-core puzzles/generic story and great story/easy puzzles?

It was a cheap joke but just merely pointing out that if you prefer puzzles over story than this is probably not the series for you.  Not to ignore a game that can successfully combine the two it just seems now a days there is clearly a line drawn between games that have hard core puzzles and games with a great story.  I wish there were more games that could combine both elements well and I believe this game does that but to someone like you I feel like you would find the puzzles too easy.  I will always love games like original The Longest Journey and Still Life but developers are weary of including puzzles that are too challenging with the fear it will scare off gamers that aren’t familiar with the point and click genre.

If you could point me in the direction of a good modern adventure game that combines both elements well I would definitely be interested.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’d say based on this first book, it looks like the puzzles seem to become more complex towards the end. Not super difficult by any means, but definetly at least medium difficulty.

The game does take some ques from Telltale, but that was expected as this was always meant to be a story heavy game, but it also does aim towards more tradional adventure games with inventory puzzles and there’s even some light dialogue puzzles as well.

All in all, it was a very pleasing 6 hours I spent with it. And as I recall this was meant to be one of the shorter episodes as well, I can see the final game ending up somewhere near 20 hours of game time. For reference my recent The Longest Journey replay took 18 hours.

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

RxBandits123 - 22 October 2014 03:40 PM

It was a cheap joke but just merely pointing out that if you prefer puzzles over story than this is probably not the series for you.  Not to ignore a game that can successfully combine the two it just seems now a days there is clearly a line drawn between games that have hard core puzzles and games with a great story.  I wish there were more games that could combine both elements well and I believe this game does that but to someone like you I feel like you would find the puzzles too easy.  I will always love games like original The Longest Journey and Still Life but developers are weary of including puzzles that are too challenging with the fear it will scare off gamers that aren’t familiar with the point and click genre.

If you could point me in the direction of a good modern adventure game that combines both elements well I would definitely be interested.

I have recommendations, but you’d need to define “modern.”  Is the last 5 years modern or only in the last year?

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

You’re belaboring the point, which is particularly wearying when you haven’t played the game and don’t have any ability to elaborate.

I really don’t have any problem at all with you giving your opinion. It’s a perfectly valid opinion. I just don’t understand your psychotic compulsion to repeat that opinion 100 times to deafening disinterest. If you don’t want to play the game because it’s too easy then say that once and move on with your life.

No one is telling you to play this game so arguing just comes off as antisocial and bizarre.

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Frogacuda - 22 October 2014 04:40 PM

You’re belaboring the point, which is particularly wearying when you haven’t played the game and don’t have any ability to elaborate.

I really don’t have any problem at all with you giving your opinion. It’s a perfectly valid opinion. I just don’t understand your psychotic compulsion to repeat that opinion 100 times to deafening disinterest. If you don’t want to play the game because it’s too easy then say that once and move on with your life.

No one is telling you to play this game so arguing just comes off as antisocial and bizarre.

I guess it is just like how I don’t understand your “psychotic compulsion” to try to dismiss my opinions in every thread because I have different views than you.  I suggest you move on with your life instead of engaging me in every thread.  The only one arguing here is you.  You are trying to argue with me.  Feel free to continue without me.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Iznogood - 22 October 2014 02:09 PM
wilco - 22 October 2014 02:02 PM

S***bot!!!  Laughing  Grin Grin

The new Crow Grin

Oh yeah, welding. Welding, wel-ding.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

We’ll not have yet another thread be derailed by one or two people foisting their own spiteful agendas, so this kind of behaviour is going to stop.

As always, negative opinions on a game are more than welcome. Repeated, pointless negativity is not—and needless to say, if you’re pissing on a game you’ve never even played or have any apparent interest in, this means you.

And now back to your regularly scheduled Dreamfall Chapters discussion.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2009-10-24

PM

darthmaul - 22 October 2014 04:34 PM
RxBandits123 - 22 October 2014 03:40 PM

I have recommendations, but you’d need to define “modern.”  Is the last 5 years modern or only in the last year?

I guess anything in the last 4 years would be a good starting point.  I’ve kind of fallen off the adventure game train for a bit but I’ve played Book of Unwritten tales and Sherlock Holmes.

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Done. Thoroughly loved this episode.  I will replay it if/when a patch comes out for the fps issues I had. Anyone know how often these episodes are to be released?  One a month would be awesome.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Tried playing it, it crashes in the middle of the intro on OS X Yosemite on a retina macbook pro with dedicated GPU. I almost gave in to the tentation but thanks to that I’ll go back to my original plan of waiting until all episodes are released Smile

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Anyone know how often these episodes are to be released?  One a month would be awesome.

Heh. You’re not a backer. Or one who can’t be bothered with updates.
If they would release one episode a month, I would not wait for the full game to be released.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top