• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelluckyloserTheTMD

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 21 October 2014

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Cuba in the late twenties. Taken from A Golden Wake (2014), which I finished today. I’d really like to hear how other people feel about it before posting my own biased opinion.* Let me just say that I don’t agree with the AG review. .

*I guess everybody knows by now that I’m not a fan of the pixelated retro-look.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

This game covers one of the top spots in my Next-to-play list.

After Gemini Rue, Resonance and Primordia (especially Resonance) I have absolute faith in Wadjet Eye…

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Why is Steve Buscemi in the top-left portrait?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 21 October 2014 06:30 AM

To give the game a certain Boardwalk Empire atmosphere… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sefir, this one is right up your alley, moral wise. Smile I loved Gemini Rue and Resonance, pixels and all. But A Golden Wake is not in their league. IMO.

diego - 21 October 2014 06:30 AM

LOL! Yeah, he’s ugly. BTW, the portraits are very good. Many are based on real people too.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

[Full disclosure - I helped betatest this game]

I enjoyed this game. Don’t get me wrong, I can’t hand on heart say that it is the best thing EVAR and I would agree that it isn’t necessarily right up there with Resonance or some other Wadjet Eye offerings, but I had a lot of fun with it.

The setting is cool, the music and voice acting are generally really good (as you would expect with Wadjet Eye) but what I really like is the way the game tries to be a little different. The idea of playing a real estate salesman is what first intrigued me, I wasn’t sure how it was going to work or even if it could, but for the most part it does work well. There are a variety of puzzles and whilst none of them are exactly difficult they keep things interesting.

The scope of the game - set over 14 years or something - was a brave choice and does mean that the game doesn’t necessarily flow perfectly, jumping forward a few years tends to show the results of attitudes or choices well but means there can be quite a lot to take in quickly, which can feel a little bit jarring.

However, on the whole this is really a good game and is in many ways a big step up from Grundislav’s previous games for those who have played them. I doubt it will trouble many people’s personal top 10 adventure game list, but is definitely well worth playing, at least in my opinion.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top