• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GirlbrushThreepWoodrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Any news of Bracken Tor or The Last Crown?

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

tsa - 27 November 2013 07:40 AM

I follow Jonathan Boakes on Facebook

If you followed him on Twitter you would know his little Halloween game is now Blackenrock, a full-length Adventure on the scale of The Lost Crown.  For a one-man shop that has always produced good, if not fantastic games…...I say take your time till you get it right.

As for Matt’s game, who worries about this anyway?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I follow Jonathan Boakes on Facebook and he often posts pictures of him and Matt Clarke posing in the middle of nowhere.

They’re going to make a game together. Gasp Or so Jonathan announced on twitter a couple of months ago. Matt is supposed to be helping Jonathan to finish the two Lost Crown sequels. Or was it Jonathan who was helping Matt with his Barrow Hill trilogy? Anyway, the two of them are working on 7 or 8 games.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 27 November 2013 11:18 AM

Anyway, the two of them are working on 7 or 8 games.

...and finishing none.

They really should notice the pattern and actually do something about it.
Or maybe they don’t care about revenue??? Confused

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

TimovieMan - 27 November 2013 04:08 PM

...and finishing none.

And their ever diminishing number of fans.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

TimovieMan - 27 November 2013 04:08 PM

...and finishing none.

That’s a good point: the games are going to look more and more dated the longer the development phase goes on. No one will pay full price for something looks like it belongs in a bargain bin.

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

tsa - 27 November 2013 05:00 PM

And their ever diminishing number of fans.

That’s a crock…....

I guarantee if this game is on the same level as TLC…..everyone complaining here will buy it.

Unless you’re like Z…..then you’ll just steal it.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Bonsai - 27 November 2013 10:59 AM

I follow Jonathan Boakes on Facebook

If you followed him on Twitter you would know his little Halloween game is now Blackenrock, a full-length Adventure on the scale of The Lost Crown.

Which is even more worrying because he also started on the third Crown game a couple of months ago and The Last Crown has been in a nearly ready state for more than two years now.
I’m sorry but I lost all faith in both Clark and Boakes releasing anything soon.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-11-29

PM

As others have also said, I’ll buy the games when they come out regardless if they’re late.  The graphics for the Lost Crown were more than serviceable, and I doubt they will be worse for the upcoming titles.

However, what concerns me is that J. Boakes has indicated he wants to market the Halloween Haunting/Blackenrock game to facilitate the completion of the Last Crown.  And here I thought the Last Crown was almost done….  Quite possibly it will never see the light of day if he needs to sell other games to finance it.  Moreover, he’s now doing the same thing to Blackenrock as he is doing for the Last Crown - adding more and more and diluting his efforts with other initiatives.  I don’t expect to see Blackenrock for a year or more either.

FW

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Nobody has heard anything conclusive for years. I wouldn’t hold my breath.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2007-11-28

PM

Boakes has a Twitter account which is pupolated with all sorts of quaint details about his goings-on, and very occasionally insights into the development of TLaC.
https://twitter.com/jonathanboakes/
Of note a gameplay video dated last May.

As for Bracken Tor…. no idea whatsoever.

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Here’s the Bracken Tor thread.

BTW…

Bracken Tor was first offered for pre-order in 2009.

On the bright side: BT still can’t touch DNF.
DNF = Duke Nukem Forever

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I was just wondering the same thing. The Lost Crown was supposed to be released at the end of the year. Of course that’s still possible, but, like last year, it will probably be another year later…

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2010-04-05

PM

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing. I first got into the adventure gaming scene about 5 years ago and there appeared a surfeit of the type of atmospheric, spooky games I (and countless others) really enjoy: TLC, The Darkfall trilogy, Rhiannon, Barrow Hill, Scratches, etc. I played them all, and yet since then there has been next to nothing. Bracken Tor was an absolute debacle, Coven just stopped, Asylum is always a year away and TLC has become a soap opera of gloriously demented proportions with one game becoming three and none of them seeing the light of day. I read Boakes’ blog and I am aware he is putting a great deal of time and effort into this next game, which, admittedly looks great. But all I seem to have been reading about for the past year is he’s continually putting the finishing touches to it. My frustration has increased because there is nothing of a similar nature to play. With the delays and changes that have beset these games, I cannot feel any excitement for the deluge of Kickstarters which seem to fill these boards. Perhaps I’ve become cynical in my old age, but I don’t want to invest any kind of emotion in the potential of a game, if I don’t feel it will actually get finished. Alas, rather than the treat of a new game, it looks like the empty trick of another missed deadline is all I’ll be experiencing this Halloween.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Lermontov - 20 October 2014 02:40 PM

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing. I first got into the adventure gaming scene about 5 years ago and there appeared a surfeit of the type of atmospheric, spooky games I (and countless others) really enjoy: TLC, The Darkfall trilogy, Rhiannon, Barrow Hill, Scratches, etc. I played them all, and yet since then there has been next to nothing. Bracken Tor was an absolute debacle, Coven just stopped, Asylum is always a year away and TLC has become a soap opera of gloriously demented proportions with one game becoming three and none of them seeing the light of day. I read Boakes’ blog and I am aware he is putting a great deal of time and effort into this next game, which, admittedly looks great. But all I seem to have been reading about for the past year is he’s continually putting the finishing touches to it. My frustration has increased because there is nothing of a similar nature to play. With the delays and changes that have beset these games, I cannot feel any excitement for the deluge of Kickstarters which seem to fill these boards. Perhaps I’ve become cynical in my old age, but I don’t want to invest any kind of emotion in the potential of a game, if I don’t feel it will actually get finished. Alas, rather than the treat of a new game, it looks like the empty trick of another missed deadline is all I’ll be experiencing this Halloween.

You’re not the only one. Lots of people have complained about both The Lost Crown and Bracken Tor never coming out. There is a separate thread about The Lost Crown/Bracken Tor here: http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/58/
Maybe a mod can merge the two threads.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tsa - 20 October 2014 03:10 PM

There is a separate thread about The Lost Crown/Bracken Tor here: http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/58/
Maybe a mod can merge the two threads.

Done.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top