• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Not very recent really but I saw the X-Men movie early this summer too and it was awesome, like First Class was. I mean I actually like all of them, but the quality with these two is clearly higher. The old ones are good, these are great.

I’m sure Fassbender has a lot to do with it, that guy is just perfect in anything. I already loved him in the 2004 Brittish series Hex, took him a while to really get to the top. I also like Evan Peters, the Quicksilver one. And who doesn’t like Jennifer Lawrence? And I mean more than sex appeal here though all of them surely have that too.

I have watched the animated series and read some of the comics but not really thoroughly, so I don’t consider myself an expert or a fanatic, but it’s nice to meet familiar characters. Overall I do enjoy the X-Men mythos a lot and I think I’d rather keep it apart from Avengers, it’s like a whole another dimension really. But I wont be freaking out if they do start mixing them up.

And talking about DC movies… I’m sorry but I still can’t get over what they did to Daredevil and Elektra. What a waste. I’m kinda really excited about the incoming Lobo movie, but then again I’m pretty scared too. Overall like that they do try to do something instead of sitting on stuff, and not touching it fearing it might not be perfect, but if they do a daredevil to my Lobo too, I’m not sure if I can stay so positive about it.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I should point out that X-men,Avengers, Daredevil and Electra are Marvel characters and not DC.

Lobo is the only DC character mentioned.

I went to see Lucy then new luc bessom movie with Scarlett johanson. I was an interesting idea ,if extremely flawed. The idea that a drug could unlock the mythical 90% of the brain that we supposedly don’t use and that this would give you Matrix like powers sounds like a fun movie.

Scarlett was pretty good in the movie, tapping on her Black Widow training and trying to portray an increasing lack of humanity as the film went on.

However the plot was basically daft as a brush and got increasingly odd towards the end as she neared 100%.

Turn off the brain to enjoy.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Oh right, of course Daredevil was Marvel, that was some weird mix up in my head, I guess I just somehow switched it with Batman. X-Men and Avengers I was already talking about as Marvel heroes.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lucien21 - 27 August 2014 03:10 AM

unlock the mythical 90% of the brain that we supposedly don’t use

I wish Hollywood would stop using that. We DO use 100%, just not at the same time (where do you think we store all the knowledge and memories we’re not using at this exact time, for instance?). This idea has been obsolete for decades!

TimovieMan - 03 August 2014 03:25 PM

That’s also because every Marvel movie these last years has been awesome, great, good or at the very least decent. The DC movies haven’t gone close to that level of consistent quality yet…

About this (and The Guardians of the Galaxy), I just came across this on Twitter:

DC/WB is all like “Wonder Woman’s too confusing for a movie!” and Marvel/Disney is all like “Here’s a raccoon with a machine gun”

Sums it up nicely, imo. Cool Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2014-08-30

PM

Oculus - 8/10; Being made by the WWE is not usually a good thing, but this movie was quite good for what it was. It wasn’t at all scary, but it was interesting to see how everything played out. The story was very interesting. I just wish it was a bit more scary.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Frontera - Another classic performance by Ed harris, really unique scenario and original
story. Highly recommended.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

To be honest, it’s not very often that I watch foreign language films (i.e. not in English) but some spare time and an interesting premise convinced me to try out Timecrimes (Los cronocrímenes) over the weekend.

The basic premise is that a man accidentally travels back in time by an hour and must then attempt to understand what has happened (or possibly what appears to have happened) and deal with it over the course of a 90 minute film.

I do enjoy time travel in a film when it is done well but am fully aware that it isn’t always done well and therefore was really unsure how good this would be, given a (presumably) minimal budget and nothing like a big name actor in sight.

The film started OK, but when a bandaged scissor wielding figure appeared fairly early on (not a spoiler - he’s on the cover of the DVD!) I began to fear that it would turn into a rubbish horror film. However, my fears proved to be unfounded as this cast of 4 actors began to weave the story around me.

The longer I watched, the better it got, as what first appeared quite simple (with a reasonably obvious “twist” early on proving to be just a small part of the proceedings) turned into a really very well done story in which your feelings for most of the characters are played with and turned on their head more than once leaving a morally ambiguous but strangely satisfying ending.

The technology of the time travel element is not gone into in any detail (a deal less than BTTF for instance) but this is fine in the film as it is really secondary. Obviously the idea of consequences is right up there and dealt with very well and while there probably aren’t many massive surprises or twists that you completely won’t see coming, enough changes in your perception of events to keep things very interesting the whole way through.

Although in many respects you don’t get to know any of the characters very well, this is very fitting as things keep changing and everyone is dealing with unexpected and strange events and reacting to abnormal things as they happen.

In summary, it isn’t high octaine, or filled with special effects, or crammed with pseudo-scientific techno-babble, but it is the better for it and easily worth 90 minutes of your time, even if you’re not a sci-fi or time-travel nerd.

Thoroughly enjoyed this on a Saturday afternoon - 4/5

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The Castle - 4/5

I first saw this Australian low-budget film back in 1998 and remember it as being funny and heartwarming, and at that time the film struck VERY close to home.
My parents were in the middle of fighting an expropriation / compulsory purchase / compulsory acquisition / eminent domain at the time, very similar to what happens in the movie - we took it to court and “won”, still having to leave the house but at least getting a correct value for it instead of half its value like was offered at first Shifty Eyed (which sadly, all 19 others in the neighbourhood took after being intimidated slightly - we were the only ones that battled it).
I’d been meaning to watch this film again for some time now, to see if it really was as good as I remember, or if my judgment was clouded by the legal battle we were in at the time.

Well, the film’s not only as good as I remember, it’s practically better!

It’s utterly hilarious (the redundant narration! the running gags!), has a surprisingly realistic approach to law (except for the final verdict but I’m happy to overlook that) and is extremely heartwarming at its core.

I don’t think this film’s well-known outside Australia, but my recommendation would be that anyone interested in a very funny Aussie film should really check this one out. You’ll also see a young Eric Bana in a small role (and it predates Chopper so it’s got to be one of his first film roles).

The Fault in Our Stars - 2.5/5

Given the immense praise this film has gotten this year (plenty of accolades, good reviews, and an 8.1 rating out of almost 120K votes on IMDb), I had some expectations for this. Sadly, I got a very run-of-the-mill cancer-themed romantic movie. It has a couple of good quotes, some solid performances, and it’s by no means a bad film, but I’ve seen too many similar films for this one to stand out.
Heck, it even reminded me of A Walk to Remember (which starred Mandy Moore and was based on a Nicholas Sparks novel) and I liked that movie better... Gasp
It’s also one of the few times where Willem Dafoe has a five-minute cameo and does NOT steal the entire movie. Maybe he needs to do a film with Christopher Walken to get back on his game as one-scene wonder? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

“August: Osage County”

Slow pace Drama of dysfunctional family, full of arguments and insanity.
Amazing cast and Meryl Streep acting (to me) was best acting i have ever seen by any Actress.

For the first time i found EwanMcgregor doing acting.

How dominant people in your family directly , indirectly messes with your life to break it all down in the end.

Wonder why Meryl didn’t win the Oscar and Cate got it for Bluejasmine.
Guess i have to check how good Cate was.

@Tim

Willem indeed does steal , his perofrmance was amazing in Out of the furnace.
And recently in Most wanted Man too.
Later one was Philip Hoffman last film and he was top of his game. Acting like a boss,
like acting is his second nature.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Anyone seen Gone Girl?

First time I’ve been disappointed with a David Fincher movie, not that I think it’s outright bad but the plot twists in the last third of movie become too implausible… The acting by the main couple also didn’t convinced me. Fincher still saved the movie, in more incapable hands could have become a cheesy thriller.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

TimovieMan - 27 August 2014 06:28 AM

DC/WB is all like “Wonder Woman’s too confusing for a movie!” and Marvel/Disney is all like “Here’s a raccoon with a machine gun”

Sums it up nicely, imo. Cool Grin

They listened to you. There is a wonder woman movie coming out in 2017. Here’s the list of DC movies:

“Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” directed by Zack Snyder (2016)
“Suicide Squad,” directed by David Ayer (2016)
“Wonder Woman,” starring Gal Gadot (2017)
“Justice League Part One,” directed by Zack Snyder, with Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, and Amy Adams (2017)
“The Flash,” starring Ezra Miller (2018)
“Aquaman,” starring Jason Momoa (2018)
“Shazam” (2019)
“Justice League Part Two,” directed by Zack Snyder (2019)
“Cyborg,” starring Ray Fisher (2020)
“Green Lantern” (2020)

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2014-08-05

PM

Rise of the planet of the apes (doh).
It’s an okay movie, but far from perfect. Don’t know why they casted Gary Oldman, a great actor, but the way his character goes it’s really bad. They didn’t use him the way they could. 

I liked the battle and not-so-deep philosophical metaphors. It’s better than the first one.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

To celebrate Halloween, I watched Interview with the Vampire and Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein (the 1994 Kenneth Branagh version) again over the weekend. Both are now 20 years old, almost day to day.

Interview has aged extremely well. The sets and costumes are still amazing and the story unfolds with great pacing and a moody atmosphere. The film is beautifully framed and shot. And overall, Cruise and Pitt act their parts well.

Frankenstein, on the other hand, feels stuck in the past and way too theatrical. I remember loving the film when it came out for those reasons, but its melodramatic nature seems to work against it by now and only seems to highlight the disconnect between the events that take place and the overdone performances. I still enjoyed it and am quite fond of Branagh’s early works, so it was fun nonetheless. The music score by Patrick Doyle is haunting and memorable as well.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Anyone saw Interstellar yet.

Found it pretty long, melodramatic and exaggerated.

Music was really good but way overdone, for space sci-fi there were too over the top moments to please general public, hardly any attempts to be subtle and sublime.

Atleast they didn’t bother with explaining whats cryogenic sleep is for laymen.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

I haven’t seen it yet, but it’s on my list.

Most Christopher Nolan films are quite long, at least the more recent ones, so I’m pretty much used to that Laughing

I read that even most of the actors had a hard time understanding what they were supposed to be saying. For Nolan, just acting isn’t enough, you have to fully understand the role….which I imagine can be pretty tough on some of the actors, especially if they don’t have a personal Sci-Fi interest.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top