• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis Special Edition

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Origami - 19 September 2014 06:19 AM

^
Apparently it is still in development.

Yeah. In silence.

I don’t have much faith in a game that’s already been in development for a dozen years or more. Most of the original team members must have moved on by now.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Yes Karlok, I remember “the Fountain of Youth”. And I still have the demo somewhere. Allways hopping that someday it will come a game from it.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2014-08-16

PM

Karlok - 19 September 2014 05:19 AM

I’ll never understand why people want remakes. But this thread reminded me of a very ambitious fan project: Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth. They released a nice demo once, I think somewhere around 2006-07. And the rest was silence.  :cry:

Or the spanish Raiders of the Lost Ark project by Teckel Studios in FOA style. Looks pretty and the second demo was also good.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Grog - 19 September 2014 09:40 AM

Or the spanish Raiders of the Lost Ark project by Teckel Studios in FOA style. Looks pretty and the second demo was also good.

While that demo does a decent job of setting the mood of those scenes from the movie, it really sucks from an adventure game standpoint.

I’m not knocking the effort—I love the idea, and the artwork and use of the musical cues is really nice, but the whole thing just reeks of a lack of creativity in terms of translating a memorable sequence from the film into equally memorable and interesting adventure game puzzles. There are a lot of really strange choices made here that detract from the flow of the sequence and don’t make a lot of sense from a puzzle design standpoint. Backtracking from the idol chamber back past the chasm to the light beam room to trigger the trap? What? Why? And why does Barranca just stand there and let me whip the gun from his hand? That should have been worked into a dialog puzzle, or at least a time sensitive situation. Lastly, Satipo just follows me around, and yet, I can’t ask him for a torch to test the stone floor slabs, or do anything really even remotely resembling the movie sequence there. And then, Indy just walks across the floor tiles without trouble. That would have been much more interesting and made more sense as a top-down stepping stone type puzzle, like the Word of God from the Last Crusade adventure game. I dunno, I want to like it, but I just can’t get over the bad puzzle design decisions.

Also, the translations of lines from the movie are noticeably inaccurate to the actual English version of the film. They’ll want to fix those up before any kind of real English release. I’d really go back to the drawing board in terms of puzzles though—there is just so much more that could be done with this amazing sequence. Why not expand the temple? Why not make the trip through the jungle more of a puzzle in which you have to follow certain clues on the map to get through? They also need to think logically about why Indy would do certain things, like fill the bag with sand, before he knows he needs it in the game. A lot of the “puzzles” rely on the player having seen the movie and just doing what happened in the movie. Just loads of missed opportunities here.

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2014-09-14

PM

From this post on the official Facebook page:

“A lot of progress have been made and soon enough we will show you some of it”.

Stay tuned! Wink

Don’t forget to press ‘Like’ button and invite friends.

Joined 2014-09-14

PM

Demo’s completion date is set to December 2014, subject to change, but it won’t be a public release because developers intend to follow Disney’s Terms of Use and send it for review.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m not trying to be Mr. Gloom-and-Doom here, but I’d expect a cease-and-desist order before that date… Meh

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2014-09-14

PM

TimovieMan - 20 September 2014 08:17 AM

I’m not trying to be Mr. Gloom-and-Doom here, but I’d expect a cease-and-desist order before that date… Meh

Let’s just wait and see what comes out. You never know.

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

I realize when starting up it’s awesome to have something to rally around, something that everyone in the team loves, like indiana jones, kings quest, or whatever, but I think it’s a crying shame to put all that time and effort into a fangame when instead the team could be producing its own new IP. The adventure game scene needs new IP’s, not more rehashing of old stuff. I wonder if there’s any other genre out there that loves to wallow as much in “classics” as ours does. I doubt it. Not saying that’s a bad thing either, just speculating…

That said, I think it looks pretty neat. Smile I too am a fan of FOA but was never that sold on its looks, throwing the old looks out the window won’t do the brand any harm. (Except all the flak they’ll be getting from hardcore fanboys ofc. (Which they’ll be getting regardless, no doubts.))

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

Nice to see they are following Disney’s “terms of use” rules. Wish them luck in the process!

However, I hope Disney applies the strictest standards when evaluating the work and the team’s track record. (I know nothing of the team, by the way.) We don’t need a repeat of what happened when Phoenix Online Studios was allowed by Vivendi (or was it Activision by then?) to mess with King’s Quest IP following that pity/pressure campaign. In a word: disaster. Disney should protect its property and learn from others’ mistakes.

In a way, the idea of doing significant early work on a huge game you don’t yet have the official go-ahead to finish and release reminds me of squatting in someone’s home. Imagine a family going into someone else’s empty and forgotten mansion, making themselves at home, eventually drawing up plans for redecorating and renovations. Later the mansion owner, having been preoccupied with other issues and living out of state, decides to have the police remove them. Then the squatters put on their sad faces and hold up their children for sympathy, beg for mercy, ask the neighbors to petition on their behalf, and argue that they’ll improve a house that would otherwise continue to remain in disrepair.

I realize it’s probably not the perfect analogy for this situation with this Fate of Atlantis project, since, as I said, they appear to be going through proper channels and are being open/upfront. My point is that, “hey, they’ve lived there for that long already, why not just let them stay?” reminds me of what I’d anticipate hearing about these kinds of projects: “they’ve put so much hard work into the game already, why not just let them finish.”

But Disney should note that, when other companies granted subpar development teams (and I’m not saying that this team is subpar… I have no idea) such rights, there wasn’t much lasting goodwill generated for the company, we got a lousy game, the brand was damaged, etc.

If this Fate of Atlantis team gets the approval, then it should be because their work holds up under heavy scrutiny and they have a demonstrated ability to finish complex projects. I hope it works out, since I’d like to see a great remake of that game almost as much as I’d like to see an all-new Indiana Jones adventure game.

Joined 2014-09-14

PM

In a week IJ: Fate of Atlantis Special Edition Facebook page collected nearly 260 ‘Likes’!
Congratulations to all of you, guys! Thanks for your support! Laughing

Keep it up and invite your friends!

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2014-05-13

PM

theo - 20 September 2014 05:17 PM

I realize when starting up it’s awesome to have something to rally around, something that everyone in the team loves, like indiana jones, kings quest, or whatever, but I think it’s a crying shame to put all that time and effort into a fangame when instead the team could be producing its own new IP. The adventure game scene needs new IP’s, not more rehashing of old stuff. I wonder if there’s any other genre out there that loves to wallow as much in “classics” as ours does. I doubt it. Not saying that’s a bad thing either, just speculating…

That said, I think it looks pretty neat. Smile I too am a fan of FOA but was never that sold on its looks, throwing the old looks out the window won’t do the brand any harm. (Except all the flak they’ll be getting from hardcore fanboys ofc. (Which they’ll be getting regardless, no doubts.))

Who said we’re not?
We are all working on different projects, FOA SE is just something else we do just because we love the game and really want to do it.
Apart from programming for FOA, i am also working on an original adventure game with a small indie team (some of them from the FOA team), We’re currently working on getting a demo done, you can view our progress and info about the game here:
https://www.facebook.com/aleapoffate

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

That’s the spirit! Grin

Joined 2014-09-14

PM

Here’s the final look of Indiana Jones character model. What do you think about it?

Image Attachments

Jones.jpg

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

It looks good except maybe way too old.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top