• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your Top 10 Adventure Games on Nintendo DS ?

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2014-09-20

PM

Hello people. I’m currently in a big handheld gaming mood and I would like to know what anybody here favorite Nintendo DS Games.

I’m looking for obscure ones too so I hope to read a lot of different games names here Smile

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan will be with you in a minute.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

No particular order:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
999: 9 hours, 9 persons, 9 doors
Another Code
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Last Window
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

On my “to play soon” list because I’ve read good things:

Time Hollow
Jake Hunter: Detective Story - Memories of the Past

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

My top 10 15:

1. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

2-4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
2-4. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
2-4. Time Hollow

5-8. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - And Justice For All
5-8. Hotel Dusk: Room 215
5-8. Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
5-8. Jake Hunter: Detective Story - Memories of the Past

9-15. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
9-15. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
9-15. Another Code
9-15. Professor Layton and the Curious Village
9-15. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
9-15. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
9-15. Professor Layton and the Spectre’s Call

Alex Nevermind - 20 September 2014 06:07 PM

I hope to read a lot of different games names here Smile

Oops… Meh

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

For a few “fresh” names, I’ll throw in AGAIN, Theresia, and the Touch Detective series.  I probably wouldn’t put any of them above the games already mentioned, but they are still good games in their way.  There are also ports like Broken Sword: Director’s Cut, So Blonde, Myst, and Paradise, and a few games that have enough adventure game elements that I’ll throw them in too, namely the Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor series(which is a combination of strategy RPG and visual novel, both games are very good).

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Alex Nevermind - 20 September 2014 06:07 PM

I’m looking for obscure ones too so I hope to read a lot of different games names here Smile

I can give you plenty of obscure DS adventures, but you’ll need to know Japanese for them…

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

^
Exact reason I am studying Japanese. =)
Also to explore all those literary gems in the murder mystery genre.
And ofcourse buy the Tantei Gakuen Q manga, since the anime went astray and I never got any sense of resolution. Frown

Anyways, I think it would have been better if you’d have ask for a top 5 list since the DS adventure library is not that expansive(in western markets anyway) so you will probably hear a lot of the same titles mentioned.

My fav titles:
Phoenix Wright: Justice for All
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Hotel Dusk
Jake Hunter

Was slightly disappointed with Time Hollow but it’s a fun ride for its novelty.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I didn’t like 999 at all, I wonder why it always gets high scores. I’m working my way through them, but haven’t played 10 yet. PW is so far the only one I like so far.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

I too don’t get the 999 hype. I know I should finish the game completely before really rating it, but I never felt the urge of going through the game again after reaching my first ending. But I loved all of Chunsoft’s other sound novels.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

You have to reach all the endings to enjoy 999 story. If you stop after the first ending its like stopping halfway through a game. The ending parts and when everything clicks together is when all the magic happens in this game. Smile (same as the sequel).

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

wilco - 21 September 2014 10:33 AM

You have to reach all the endings to enjoy 999 story. If you stop after the first ending its like stopping halfway through a game. The ending parts and when everything clicks together is when all the magic happens in this game. Smile (same as the sequel).

Oh, god. I think I’ll skip it then, I don’t like those sort of games. I haven’t even got out of the first room.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2014-09-20

PM

HitBattousai - 21 September 2014 01:34 AM

For a few “fresh” names, I’ll throw in AGAIN, Theresia, and the Touch Detective series.  I probably wouldn’t put any of them above the games already mentioned, but they are still good games in their way.  There are also ports like Broken Sword: Director’s Cut, So Blonde, Myst, and Paradise, and a few games that have enough adventure game elements that I’ll throw them in too, namely the Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor series(which is a combination of strategy RPG and visual novel, both games are very good).

I’m interested in both Again and Theresia. How fun and playable are they ?

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

AGAIN is basically a poor man’s Hotel Dusk(also a CING product).  It has very similar gameplay and art style but not as good in my opinion on either count.  The story is decent but plays more like a police procedural than the noir mystery style of Dusk.  That said, still a good game.

Theresia has great atmosphere and story, plus is pretty lengthy for an adventure game, but from a gameplay standpoint is a little frustrating.  I’d rate it as “decent” but it’s very dependent on what you feel about story over gameplay.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Alex Nevermind - 21 September 2014 08:47 PM

I’m interested in both Again and Theresia. How fun and playable are they ?

I was really excited to play AGAIN when it first came out being a big fan of Cing, but sadly it doesn’t really compare to their other DS games. The overall mystery is fine from what I remember, if a little silly, but the presentation is extremely bare bones and kind of ugly. I remember the 3D investigative sections could be kind of finicky as well. I wouldn’t put it high on a to-play list, but it’s not terrible, either.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

^ I agree with these assessments of AGAIN. It’s not a bad game per se, but it’s definitely not a great game.
There’s a reason it didn’t make my top 15…

And the same could be said of Flower, Sun and Rain (which can be funny, but is mostly tedious and makes less and less sense as it progresses).

Also, be wary of PC games that got ported to the DS. Most of the time, you’ll enjoy the PC version more (because of the better graphics, voice acting, and because it was actually designed for the PC).
But above all: stay away from Myst. That has got to be the worst port of any game ever made…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

You going to get different opinions from different people. From 2005-2012 the DS was THE system I played adventure games on - the Dsi XL rocks.

1) The Last Window

2) Hotel Dusk

3) Thersia Dear Emily

4) Broken Sword: Director’s Cut *

5) The Last King of Africa *

6) Flower, Sun, Rain

7) Again

8 - Another Code

9) 999

10) Time Hollow

* Denotes a PC Port. Actually, these PC Ports I liked better than the PC originals.

A used Dsi XL is around 60 bucks and these games are 5-15 each. So lots of fun for little $$$$$

I have 104 DS games and these are the cream of my collection.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top