• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Great Ace Attorney

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

New PW game which is basically PW vs Sherlack Holaymus

More,

http://minus.com/mhU2hwhDW29s5

Not digging the design of Sherlack’s partner aka watson Confused

Takumi has a deep love of the Sherlock Holmes stories, so he’s trying to respect the character. Holmes is described as falling somewhere between the “storybook Holmes” and a “real Holmes” - a man who focuses maybe too much on his investigations, but isn’t a bad person at heart.

Well i wanted GhostTrick sequel but i guess PW makes more money for Capcom.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

(I am actually not a big fan of the “English” title The Great Ace Attorney, as Ace Attorney is just the franchise name in English. Now it sounds like Super Special Awesome Attorney, while a more literal translation would be Grand Turnabout Trial, which may be of importance to the contents of the game)

More information (footage etc) is to follow on Saturday, on TGS. You can follow the Dai Gyakuten Saiban Special Stage live through Capcom TV (Sept 20, 12:15-13:00 JST).

Really looking forward to the game, as I love Takumi’s writing and I think that DGS is a logical way for him to continue what he did in Layton VS AA. And the new system sounds fun too: Holmes goes on a reasoning rampage and comes up with the most outrageous deductions, and it’s up to the protagonist Ryuunosuke to keep his deductions grounded to reality. The screenshots also show some dynamic camerawork going on during Holmes’ deductions (which seem like the testimony parts of the older games), so that has a lot of potential too.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Jesus, can they stop churning out games? I played the first three PW this year and quite liked them although they were by no means adventure classics. Then I found out there were dozens more being released yearly, which has got to be a cash grab. Quality vs quantity guys…less quantity means more quality.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Zifnab - 18 September 2014 06:20 AM

Then I found out there were dozens more being released yearly, which has got to be a cash grab.

This is the 9th game in 15 years if you go by the Japanese releases, and that’s including two spin-off titles and a crossover (and the spin-offs and crossover had a different gameplay approach). That’s not that much really.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Zifnab - 18 September 2014 06:20 AM

Jesus, can they stop churning out games? I played the first three PW this year and quite liked them although they were by no means adventure classics. Then I found out there were dozens more being released yearly, which has got to be a cash grab. Quality vs quantity guys…less quantity means more quality.

It always felt more compressed than it was because they first came to the US via remakes, which were released close together, and years after the originals. So in Japan, Apollo Justice came about 3 years after the third, but in the US it was like a few months after. In any event the fifth one was about 5 years after that, so they’re slowing way down.

That said, the series is very episodic and sticks pretty closely to its formula, so I could see how one would get tired of it playing them all together like that.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

It’s probably easier for Takumi to take Ace Attorney into weird new directions rather than convincing Capcom to gamble on an original IP. I’d certainly like to see what other ideas he’s got cooking but as long as he’s working I’m happy. With not-Sherlock Holmes being in the game I hope there’s a shake up to the investigation side. Looks charming as per usual.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Its this way or no way. Capcom is giving him hand to keep on churning these, they are
somewhat profitable, crapcom would pull the plug, as soon as they overstay their welcome.
So enjoy it while it lasts.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

They’re not even changing his name, actually. It says Sherlock Holmes (transliterated into japanese) in that last screenshot. (I can’t tell you what the rest says, but I can mostly read the kana used for writing english loanwords and names.)

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

“Her gaze goes up and left, clearly a mind in the midst of deductive reasoning”
“Actually I’m just hungry…”

“In other words, this woman true identity is… a paralegal Yamato Nadeshiko”
“Well, that is introduced after all…”

Smile Holmes is going to be fun. Announce localization already Capcom! Digital or whatever.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’ll get the ios version of this game - looks like great fun. Hope it gets localized.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

The TGS presentation was fun. The joint reasoning system, where you make comments on Holmes’ deduction-train-which-went-too-far is fun and the dynamic camerawork really adds something to the experience.

In another interview with Dengeki, Takumi mentioned the whole game basically started with the concept of Sherlock Holmes (he was asked to do a completely new AA. The first thing Takumi came up with was Holmes), which was surprising. Also, he mentions he’s loved the Holmes stories since a long time, but that he’s also familiar with the many, many Holmes parodies/pastiches, which is why he wanted to add something with Iris (and personally, I think she isn’t just what she appears to be, knowing Takumi).

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

The series has kind of lost its magic for me. The latest entry didn’t really grab me, and I have no interest in the Layton crossover. I guess I’d give this Sherlock one a go if the reviews put it up there with PW1 & 3.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Launch trailer for Japan - release date 9 July, still no news for a english version

This is looking great, might be the revival the series needs.

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Finished the game in the weekend. I wrote a longer review on my blog, but in short: it takes some of Takumi’s new ideas for the series from Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney and rearranges them for a better experience (the closing argument sections where you need to convince individual jurors). The new segments with Holmes are not difficult, but very fun, because it’s simply amusing to see how far a mind like that of Holmes can go if his starting point is wrong. Overall, the mysteries are OK, and the games delves deeper into some themes seen in earlier games (case 3!). For the Holmesians there are also plenty of neat references.

One big “but” however is that for the first time in the series, the game is actually made with the assumption a sequel will be made. Important plot related are left unanswered and while I had a blast with the game, it still has a somewhat unsatisfying aftertaste because it also feels incomplete.

The music is absolutely fantastic though.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

A sequel for this has been announced at TGS

but still no word about an English version Frown

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top