• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Maker’s Eden

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2006-03-27

PM

Hey all!

Our upcoming game was covered by Jackal here and I figured I’d just plonk this thread here in case anyone has questions or wants to know more. I imagine some will want to know about the funding campaign and what the plans are with that. Or more about the story/setting.

Either way, we’re very excited about this!

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Scifi noir is my absolute favourite genre in any fiction. I find it quite funny though that it was mentioned in the article to be a scifi-noir crime-drama when crime and drama are pretty much the main ingredients of noir Wink. But better to be clear of course, not everyone is a noir fan like me.

I have not participated in any Indiegogo projects yet but I might be interested enough to do so here.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2006-03-27

PM

Hey millenia! Smile

The “crime” aspect is not as central to the story as some other elements, but there is a “seedy underbelly” type vibe going on in places. And even though it’s the story of you, the player, we also have some commentary about society in there. Some subtle, some a bit more hammy.

And any support is welcomed, even if it’s just a mention to friends. Some have concerns about the flexible funding scheme, but we explain on the Indiegog page that the game itself is not in jeopardy if we don’t reach the goal, just our ability to devote our time to it.

EDIT: And I am also new-ish to Indiegogo, it definitely needs more love. I’ve backed 22 projects on Kickstarter and only 2 on Indiegogo. I guess “Kickstarter” has become like “Xerox”.

Joined 2006-03-27

PM

Just a quick update. We have added a few new screenies to our IndieDB page http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-makers-eden

And also have a new dev diary at http://makerseden.screwylightbulb.com/

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I pledged for the first act now, (don’t really have that much money to “throw around” anymore). But will follow the progress now and then anyway. I like the looks and the atmosphere so far.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2006-03-27

PM

Much appreciated, and I know what you mean about not having money to throw around. Smile

We’re working on a demo right now, but if you’ve pledged already I suggest skipping the demo and just waiting for act 1 so you can get the full experience in one go. Smile

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Personally I do exactly that. If I already know that I want something or have pre-ordered it, I’m really not that interested in the demo, I’d rather have the full experience. I’ve done some betatesting a few times in my life but don’t really have time for that either.

I hope you get your goal and then some more. At least you already have more than 10% Smile

If I start feeling too rich I might up my contribution to the soundtrack tier. I like the perk table in the indiegogo page too, very clean and efficient (I might have an unexplained attraction for tables and graphs).

Joined 2006-03-27

PM

Quick note to say we have a fairly rough early demo/prototype to look at. Available here:

http://screwylightbulb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35

Do be sure to check the “known issues” list and also comment if there’s any other weird things going on.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I tried the demo out. It was very short indeed but it was pretty and the story is interesting. I’ll definitely play the first act when it comes out.

And it seems to me that the funding has picked up a bit after the demo.

Joined 2006-03-27

PM

While we are well below our goal, the funding is reasonably ok thus far.

People generally seem to be enjoying the demo, however rough it currently is. Someone posted a hilarious playthrough of it on YouTube in which he tried to do voices for all the characters. I’ll point people there to show why we’re not doing voice acting. Wink 

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

No one else played the demo?
The campaing has 9 days left.

Joined 2006-03-27

PM

We’ve had about 1500 downloads of the demo and about 230 plays of the web version. It has had a definite effect on donations and loads of shout-outs from industry people plus news coverage.

We likely won’t make the original goal, but the donations so far has carried us through a month and a half of development. I also managed to finish a lot of the core code, so most of the remaining additional work is in the artwork, so I will be paying for the artist meself. All ‘n all it looks like we’re still set for our original plan to release Act 1 around September-ish.

Anyway, fear not, we’re good! Smile

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Bumping this thread since act 1 has been out for a while now and I played it a while ago. Wrote a short review on the site too but I’ll say about the same things here too:

Basically the gameplay is a visual novel/adventure hybrid. There are more than a couple of puzzles so I wouldn’t label it as a visual novel alone. Personally I really enjoyed the music, graphics and overall atmosphere of the game.

The first act is rather short, took me a bit over an hour, but I didn’t feel disappointed by the length, as the story was very interesting and the act formed a nice arc with a great ending.

The story itself is indeed sci-fi noir with mystery/conspiracy and while it uses the old memory loss cliché, it’s still very engaging.

Joined 2006-03-27

PM

“around September-ish”- haha, fool. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top