• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

More games like Manhole, Cosmic Osmo, Spelunx?

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

Heyyy so before Myst, Cyan made some games designed for children about exploring without any objectives or endings or anything. You click stuff and weird stuff happens or music plays or you play a little mini-game. It is kind of surreal actually.

Are there any other games kind of like that?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I can only think of one: Monty Python’s Complete Waste of Time Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I love, love, love, love Cosmic Osmo.  When I first played that, oh, like 25 years ago… it was magical! It was just about exploration… such a cool experience.

Bt

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

TimovieMan - 30 August 2014 07:22 PM

I can only think of one: Monty Python’s Complete Waste of Time Tongue

Why the ” Tongue “?

That’s the game that hooked me on AG’s!

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

The Humongous Entertainment titles could fit. They do have objectives but you can just the same wander around and play mini-games as much as you like.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

zobraks - 31 August 2014 02:28 AM

Why the ” Tongue “?

Because being a Monty Python game means it’s a Tongue type of game. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Oh.
Ok then.
I guess.
I didn’t really want to write what I’m writing now, but I had to. I mean there’s that stupid forum software rule that the message can’t (shouldn’t?) be shorter than 746 characters…

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I actually think that Botanicula fits that mold. It’s got objectives but it still feels pretty much like that.

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

@TimovieMan: Thanks, that looks like it fits what I’m looking for. That reminds me, Peter Gabriel made some interactive multimedia projects called EVE and Xplora1 that had music and video clips in it.

@Antrax and giom: I was actually thinking of Humongous Entertainment games and also Botanicula to an extent. Yeah I remember in the HE games you could click lots of things on every screen and see lots of goofy stuff.

@Blackthorne: I first played them after I’d already played Myst. Even though they’re designed for kids, I think Spelunx and Osmo have a creepy, lonely atmosphere, in part due to the synthetic music and also how there’s usually no background music.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top