• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Sherlock Holmes game: Crimes & Punishments

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I don’t want to see all those videos, that spoils part of the game! I’m also very much looking forward to this one, having played almost all of Frogware’s SH games now.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

A bit confused about the release date.
Is it out this week in Europe and 30th in North America? Seems that way according to Amazon.
Steam only has a September release date, no specific day.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

This looks great! I actually have only just watched the trailers now, and I’m pretty impressed with what I’ve seen.

Looks rather splendid.

In particular, the idea of being able to choose outfits/disguises is utterly inspired.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

wilco - 02 September 2014 07:20 AM

A bit confused about the release date.
Is it out this week in Europe and 30th in North America? Seems that way according to Amazon.
Steam only has a September release date, no specific day.

According to what I’m seeing on Amazon in America, it’s Sept 30th for all platforms, and according to Amazon UK it’s Oct 3rd for all platforms. I wonder why USA gets it first considering Frogwares is based in Ukraine and Ireland.
Hope there’s no delay, what with all the trouble in Ukraine.

First registered in 2005. Original creator of: Place that Quote! - Adventure Game Sounds - Decipher the Anagram! - Name that Inventory! - A Face to Place!

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2012-03-07

PM

Noticed that the price at Steam was almost 40 Euros (about 52 dollars, though I don’t know if the amount for USA citizens will be the same.)  That will be a great incentive for some people to use a crack. Don’t understand why they promote piracy in this way. Fortunately though, Amazon UK offers it - on pc/dvd -  for about 22 pounds (28 euros, 36 dollars). 36 dollars for a hard copy, 52 dollars for a download. I guess I simply don’t understand the difference (even when released in different countries).

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

robert foster - 13 September 2014 11:50 AM

Noticed that the price at Steam was almost 40 Euros (about 52 dollars, though I don’t know if the amount for USA citizens will be the same.)  That will be a great incentive for some people to use a crack. Don’t understand why they promote piracy in this way. Fortunately though, Amazon UK offers it - on pc/dvd -  for about 22 pounds (28 euros, 36 dollars). 36 dollars for a hard copy, 52 dollars for a download. I guess I simply don’t understand the difference (even when released in different countries).

Steam price of the game is $39.99 in North America and £29.99 in UK - you can compare Steam prices in here. Regional pricing sucks really bad on Steam, that’s why sites like gog.com are usually more fair.
I think Steam prices are usually the same as retail except for UK where amazon, game.co.uk usually have better prices (don’t know why). I used to buy stuff from amazon but now they decided to charge shipping for Europe so I’m done with them for pc games.
Best way to buy digital pc games is usually wait for a deal (usually doesn’t take long in on of multiple sites) or a site like Greenmangaming that offers discounts on new games.
I actually pre-ordered sherlock holmes from them for €30.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2012-03-07

PM

Thanks for your information! Europe is 39,99 euro, according to your Steam link (because it shows the price of the Steam store in my country). Amazon UK has indeed a better price, the dvd version is 26.73 pounds (22.03 + 4.70 shipping to my location) so 33.52 euro. That’s a fair price for a hard copy. I prefer the dvd version, but like you say, it’s probably best to wait a bit till prices drop.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

After seeing the trailer (didn’t like the graphic violence/gore and thought the trailer was a bit boring and a random mess), I had low expectations. Then I watched the gameplay video for a short time (hate spoilers) and was somewhat impressed. Usually seeing the gameplay after a trailer is a letdown, but in this case the reverse was true. I hope that you are put in danger throughout the game, since it adds to the suspense. In the Conan Doyle stories Holmes and Watson were always faced with mortal danger. They would just leap right into the most perilous situations. And didn’t Holmes go into hiding for a long time because the professor’s henchmen were out to kill him? Anyway, I will probably be getting this game. Wish it were also available for iOS.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It actually does always surprises me a bit how gory some of the Frogware’s Sherlock games are, but I guess that’s more because of the novels themselves don’t have that many gory details and the old TV-series and movies are also void of similar approach.

But then again, if you are going to examine a mutilated corpse in a game, it’s hard to show the corpse without the marks of mutilation.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

New trailer.

In six cases, the player will have the opportunity to interrogate up to five suspects per case, and you are responsible for deciding how to punish the criminal, with the option of letting the criminal go, should you empathize with the guilty.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/09/18/sherlock-holmes-crimes-and-punishments-gets-new-trailer/105836/

http://www.sherlockholmes-thegame.com/en/news/59-crimes-punishments-discover-the-darker-side-of-london-in-new-trailer-pretty-little-crimes.html

First registered in 2005. Original creator of: Place that Quote! - Adventure Game Sounds - Decipher the Anagram! - Name that Inventory! - A Face to Place!

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

The ability to select disguises is a great addition. I’m surprised it hasn’t been tried before in a Sherlock Holmes game. Don’t make him too grim. Jeremy Brett looked right but acted wrong. Looks like this character was modeled after Brett. Hope the character is likable.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

OrionO - 21 September 2014 05:04 AM

The ability to select disguises is a great addition. I’m surprised it hasn’t been tried before in a Sherlock Holmes game. Don’t make him too grim. Jeremy Brett looked right but acted wrong. Looks like this character was modeled after Brett. Hope the character is likable.

Everybody considers Jeremy Brett to have potrayed the best iteration of Sherlock Holmes, but I agree…..I missed the enthusiasm. I always considered SH to be hyperemotional. Depressed when not making any progress but giddy as a child when one step closer to solving the mystery.

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

Exactly! I saw Doyle’s Holmes as not afraid to show emotion. Conan Doyle, a famously warm man himself, likely wouldn’t have meant to create an aloof, cold main character like that. I saw every Granada movie. Loved them. Great production, great stories (both the new and old), really fun to watch. The thing I liked least about them? Brett/Holmes. Honestly, I also pictured Holmes a bit more athletic, ready to jump into action and then quickly regain composure after a duel. A little like a Percival Blakeney character from those Orczy books. So that’s what I’d like to see in the game.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

In other words, Robert Downey Jr. nailed it in the movies, as did Benedict Cumberbatch in the series… Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

^
Two interpretations I personally really enjoyed. After that it all just boils down to personal taste. I favour Benedict Cumberbatch as he really comes close to how I always imagined SH to be and RDJ too often reached into the realm of reverie.

Another favourite of mine is Basil of Bakerstreet from Disney’s The Great Mouse Detective.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top