• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] The Casual Playthrough Voting Thread

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

This is a game I haven’t played. Does anybody mind if I join in?

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

The more the merrier! Your joining increases the odds that someone can figure out that crazy-challenging puzzle Tim mentions (I couldn’t figure it out either).

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Since Big Fish had a great sale a few days ago, I bought 4 CEs, two at the regular price and two for $1.99.  Angela Weaver was one of the bargains.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Good for you! While the playthrough will only cover the SE material, I’m sure others will be interested in what you think of the bonus material.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

colpet - 20 August 2014 08:39 AM

This is a game I haven’t played. Does anybody mind if I join in?

What Becky said. Thumbs Up

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Alright, got the game and fired it up (for testing purposes).
Opening cinematic looks *really* good, gives me confidence about the graphics.

What’s going to be the difference between the ‘casual’, ‘advanced’ and ‘expert’ difficulty levels?
I instinctively want to go for ‘expert’ but if the only difference between that and ‘advanced’ is that everything’s timed, then it’s not worth the trouble. I like a challenge, but I’m not a glutton for punishment…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I always play in “casual” mode (well, isn’t the type of the game “casual game”?). The difference between “casual” and “expert” is that the “hint” and “skip” buttons take ages to recharge in the expert. Sometimes, you don’t have the hint button or you can’t skip a puzzle. Since is up to you to use or not those buttons, I always play in casual mode.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

UruBoo - 21 August 2014 08:25 AM

I always play in “casual” mode (well, isn’t the type of the game “casual game”?). The difference between “casual” and “expert” is that the “hint” and “skip” buttons take ages to recharge in the expert. Sometimes, you don’t have the hint button or you can’t skip a puzzle. Since is up to you to use or not those buttons, I always play in casual mode.

I try to avoid casual play because that usually means sparklies. However, I’m not sure about playing a timed game. Can you switch difficulty levels in this game mid stream?

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I loaded the game and chose “Casual” mode and played one screen and then looked for a way to switch to the other modes: “Advanced” and “Expert.” I couldn’t find a way to switch and I couldn’t find any information about switching. I suspect you can’t. Mini Frown Switch.

This is what the game says about the modes:

Casual
Tools & areas of interest sparkle on occasion
Puzzle skip possible after 3 minutes
Hints recharge at a steady rate

Advanced
Tools & areas of interest don’t sparkle
Puzzle skip possible after 5 minutes
Hints recharge slowly

Expert
Tools & areas of interest don’t sparkle
Dreamcatchers are removed; hints by recharge only (on the Casual level—and, I’m assuming, the Advanced level—you can find Dreamcatcher icons in the gameworld that increase the number of hints)
Puzzle skip possible after 10 minutes
All tool messages are removed

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I usually play the mid-range level or customize my own, if that’s an option.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sounds like the optimal experience would be ‘advanced’ then, especially if ‘expert’ removes dreamcatchers (whatever those may be in-game).

Edit: I just read the first page of the Strategy Guide, apparently ‘dreamcatchers’ are a sort of ‘hint coins’ if I’m not mistaken. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Looks like the advanced mode will work for me. I’d be hesitant with expert if there are strategy AI puzzles (playing against the computer). I’m bad at those. Even tic tac toe can be a challenge for me :-) .

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I would suggest that people who regularly play casual games chose whatever difficulty level they want. For those that will be doing this for the first time, I suggest starting on Casual. The first three sections are relatively short, so if you feel it’s too easy, replay at the next higher level. Unlike some other casual games, you cannot change the difficulty level in mid-game.

Also, for those new to casual adventures, there is no “Save Game” function. So there is no way to go back a replay a sequence. When you restart a game you don’t load it from a saved game. It picks up from where you last quit the game.

As far as I know there are no timed puzzles regardless of difficulty level.

As I’m trying to collect screenshots, and that is best done at the easiest level, I can only tell you what I remember about the 2nd and 3rd difficulty levels.

On level one hints charge in one minute. Collecting “dreamcatcher” icons means you don’t have to wait for hints you recharge. You have to wait 1 minute after starting a puzzle before you can skip it. The game says that there are “sparkles” but I’m not so sure. I’ve seen sparkles where there is nothing to do. It does highlight where the hidden object scenes are.

The only thing I remember about level two is that the Skip button takes quite a bit longer to charge. I don’t remember whether there are any dreamcatchers available in level two. I think you still get a Hint button, but absent a dreamcatcher, you have to wait for it to recharge.

Playing level three you get nothing. So either you solve it yourself or consult a walkthrough. As Becky and I have reported there are one or two puzzles neither of us have been able to solve even using a walkthrough. So play this level at your own peril.

The new thread will open tomorrow. Maybe the “other Tim” will move some of the pertinent final messages from this thread onto the start of the other one.

My availability to answer questions is somewhat “iffy” until Monday. Although I may get a chance to take an occasional peek at the thread. My granddaughter, who graduated from IU culinary college this past May, is coming into town, and it will be our first chance to cook together since she got her name embroidered on her chef’s jacket. There are priorities. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 21 August 2014 06:41 AM

Opening cinematic looks *really* good, gives me confidence about the graphics.

You won’t be disappointed. But am I so far removed from European nomenclature that what I call a tracking shot is what you call an Opening Cinematic? Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 21 August 2014 07:08 PM

The new thread will open tomorrow. Maybe the “other Tim” will move some of the pertinent final messages from this thread onto the start of the other one.

My availability to answer questions is somewhat “iffy” until Monday. Although I may get a chance to take an occasional peek at the thread. My granddaughter, who graduated from IU culinary college this past May, is coming into town, and it will be our first chance to cook together since she got her name embroidered on her chef’s jacket. There are priorities. Smile

As I haven’t played any CGs for quite a while I’ve got quite a few credits at BF so have taken advantage & got the CE! I’ll be good & wait until Monday to start it but meanwhile congratulations to your granddaughter on graduating Tim & hope you have a wonderful time cooking - wish I could be there as I love eating (despite that I’m very thin BTW) & will ‘see’ you on Monday for the start of the playthrough!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top