• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Age story discussion (includes spoilers!)

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

OverflowURS - 13 February 2014 06:35 AM

Also, Alex said he couldn’t talk and communicate properly with these people so that’s why he went into cryo, 300 years ago. It can be that people in Shay’s party have managed to open some sort of rift between reality and some other dimension, something like “story reality” or “limbo dreaming realm”. Alex’s spaceship wasn’t really traveling space but rather dimensions. He went throw the reality portal and this is where he end up, in this sort of dreamland. The plague dam could also be the reality frontier.

I really like this idea. Maybe whatever mistake Alex made that caused the ship to crash is to blame for opening up the alternate dimension.

Blah blah games blah blah books blah blah life - 14 February 2014 03:43 AM

*When broken, timelines can intersect between eachother creating a whole new timeline in itself. And when that happens, it can interfere with anyone’s lives and how fate is interpreted.

*It leads me to believe when a new timeline is made, everything happens spontaneously. (So maybe when we find out that shay was mog chothra, maybe it happened because the stories between eachother were similar, so fate interpreted it to be like that.And possibly, even Marek didn’t know that he was technically eating maidens.)

The title “Broken Age” does sound a lot like the idea of broken time. Another intriguing idea. I wonder if we get to meet a character like Fate? Personally, I think Marek knows exactly what he’s doing. He’s too sinister to be an innocent. None of the maidens from previous maiden’s feasts 14 years (etc.) earlier are showing up on the screen that monitors the containment area. Something has happened to them in the meantime, and I find it hard to believe that Marek wasn’t somehow involved in what happened to them.

jaap - 16 February 2014 03:52 AM

I wonder how many players encountered the snake, as for act 1 he’s just a red herring. 

I thought the snake was important because the lumberjack mentioned it and told Vella what to do about it. This would show that he is aware of reality or possibly creating/influencing reality.

I’m with Blah Blah. How long until Part Two releases?

BTW—does anyone remember Vella’s full name?

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2014-02-24

PM

I joined this board just to post this!!!! I think I’ve got it!!! Grin

Marek is part of the ships programming which activated when Shay willingly put himself into danger, jepoardizing the mission.  Marek is still bound by the rules of the ship which required him to protect shay at all costs; however, Shay was never in any real danger performing his objectives for Marek (couldn’t die in outer space, even if you cut the air hose without attaching the air bottle first).

This generation of Shays is self destructive, activating a new protocol to replace Shay. Obviously, this Sun has failed to raise a non-destructive child. Shay is now unsuited for the next “home planet” because their original “home planet” was destroyed by his self-destructive ancestors. The Sun and Shay must be replaced. The princesses all contain the best properties of all the other women in their respective towns, the ideal one will be collected out of the lot (Marek only needed a few to improve chances, he didn’t need all of them) and she will be sacrificed to replace the Sun who failed in her mission to raise a non-self-destructive child. The Sun already tells us that she was sacrificed as well and also tells us Shay will “understand one day…” because HE is going to be sacrificed for the good of the mission as well.

The “surprise” that the sun is working on is the next generation “Shay” and as much as I don’t want to fall into the “clone” trope, it explains why Alex (the dead-eye god) looks strikingly similar to Shay. This explains the name of the mission “Dandelion” which is a flower that can reproduce without pollination resulting in offspring that are genetically identical to the parent!! Alex was a misnomer, who managed to break the cycle once before and sabotaged the ship, escaping his sacrifice. Alex isn’t in a full blown ship by the way, it is just and escape pod which explains why it has a search beacon and “long term” cryo-storage. He believes the rest is buried, but there isn’t an entire ship under there.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

disback - 24 February 2014 01:26 PM

I joined this board just to post this!!!! I think I’ve got it!!! Grin

Marek is part of the ships programming which activated when Shay willingly put himself into danger, jepoardizing the mission.  Marek is still bound by the rules of the ship which required him to protect shay at all costs; however, Shay was never in any real danger performing his objectives for Marek (couldn’t die in outer space, even if you cut the air hose without attaching the air bottle first).

This generation of Shays is self destructive, activating a new protocol to replace Shay. Obviously, this Sun has failed to raise a non-destructive child which was unsuited for the next “home planet” because their original “home planet” was destroyed for the same reasons. The Sun and Shay must be replaced. The princesses all contain the best properties of all the other women in their respective towns, the ideal one will be collected out of the lot (Marek only needed a few to improve chances, he didn’t need all of them) and she will be sacrificed to replace the Sun who failed in her mission to raise a non-self-destructive child. The Sun already tells us that she was sacrificed as well and also tells us Shay will “understand one day…” because HE is going to be sacrificed for the good of the mission as well.

The “surprise” that the sun is working on is the next generation “Shay” and as much as I don’t want to fall into the “clone” trope, it explains why Alex (the dead-eye god) looks strikingly similar to Shay. This explains the name of the mission “Dandelion” which is a flower that can reproduce without pollination resulting in offspring that are genetically identical to the parent!! Alex was a misnomer, who managed to break the cycle once before and sabotaged the ship, escaping his sacrifice. Alex isn’t in a full blown ship by the way, it is just and escape pod which explains why it has a search beacon and “long term” cryo-storage. He believes the rest is buried, but there isn’t an entire ship under there.

That… actually sounds pretty plausible.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I like your explanation of the use of the word Dandelion, but it’s still pure speculation, in particular the self-destructiveness part. Unless you’re a Schafer clone.  Tongue

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Becky - 21 February 2014 11:57 AM

BTW—does anyone remember Vella’s full name?

Her last name is Tartine but her maternal grandfather’s last name is Beastender, which has to be foreshadowing of some kind.

(There’s a bakery in San Francisco named Tartine, maybe that’s where Tim got the idea for the name?)

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

And her full first name is Velouria, isn’t it?

All the plot theories are interesting, but personally I think a lot of them are too involved (like the stuff about all the magic in Vella’s world needing to be explained), and some are too gruesome, to be very likely. Having the maidens be seemingly eaten by a giant monster is one thing. Having them forcibly impregnated by a 14-year-old and then euthanized in some grotesque breeding program is rather more graphic, and I don’t think DF would want to go there.

As for Operation Dandelion, I would think the metaphor is the seeds from the old, “dying” flower being blown through the air to colonize and grow in far-flung places. The seeds representing the evacuation/colonization ships floating through space, of course.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Velouria Beastender Tartine. I agree with fov about the foreshadowing in “Beastender.” Apparently “tartine” is French for “a slice of bread,” which makes sense for a family of bakers. Or a bakery in San Francisco.

The only reference I can find for “velouria” is a song by a group named the Pixies. I don’t think it has anything to do with Broken Age. Maybe “Velouria” refers to “velour,” which is a soft fabric. So Vella seems soft and sweet on the outside, with hidden warrior abilities at her core.

I don’t think Shay was rejected for being self-destructive. I think eventual rebellion in that environment was inevitable, and it signalled that Shay was beginning to see what’s fake and what’s real, and so he’s now ready for the next phase of training—which is what Marek is doing.

Shay’s upbringing reminds me a bit of the wire cloth monkey experiments. He’s been purposely given a fake substitute for parents and companions, and we’re all guessing as to why.

I don’t think Marek is also the moon. I left him at the controls in one room and saw the moon outside the window about 2 seconds later in the next room. He’d have to be able to zap himself instantly all over the ship. Which, given this ship, is probably possible, now that I think about it.

In addition to my other wild speculations about this game, I’m respectfully submitting the idea that the graphic designers at Double Fine talked Tim Schafer into the Sugar Bunting location so they could do “research” at the Tartine bakery. This confection, for instance, could easily have been the inspiration for the top of Mog Chothra’s head.  Wink

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-02-14

PM

I think another thing I should mention is something about the Mom; you know how she was programmed with some kind of scarificial memory of some sort of event. Well then, the Mom’s memory was probably what programmed the ship to grab the ‘sacrifice girls’ or what made Mark target the creatures and/or maidens. If he was innocent in any way.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2014-07-17

PM

Has anyone found the meaning behind Mog Chathra’s name?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The only thing I could find is that Mog Chothra is a great Godzilla monster name.

I do LOVE this game - best adventure game I’ve played on the ipad. It is amazing - can’t wait until part 2 is released.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Mikekelly - 03 August 2014 06:41 PM

can’t wait until part 2 is released.

And does one know WHEN this may EVER be??? After 7 months, there is no sign of that’s gonna happen - a part 2.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Double Fine wants to release it in the end of the year, but in their latest doc they did say it will most likely go to next year.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Yikes.  That’s a bummer - sometimes game development can take longer than you’d like, for sure.  I’m interested to see how the story ends.

Bt

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

JayGamer - 17 July 2014 12:59 PM

Has anyone found the meaning behind Mog Chathra’s name?

It’s gibberish, but I think it’s meant to evoke the monstrous elder gods of HP Lovecraft, with names like Shub Niggurath and Gol Gorath.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

tomimt - 20 August 2014 01:18 AM

Double Fine wants to release it in the end of the year, but in their latest doc they did say it will most likely go to next year.

I don’t think they went as far as to say most likely, but I wouldn’t blame you for taking it that way. They just said their goal is still to get it done by the end of the year, but the way they said it made that sound like less than a 100% certainty.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top