• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleJdawg445zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

UruBoo - 27 July 2014 01:39 PM
rtrooney - 26 July 2014 08:50 PM

Suggestions are welcome.

Rtrooney, my suggestion is that you can list at least 5 casual games (good ones, of course) that had nothing to do with fairytales, fantasy and detective scripts. I would like to know of games with sci-fi and space themes (others than Space Legends at the End of the Universe, that I played and can confirm that it sucks).

Well, my request for suggestions was for how we should celebrate our 2-year anniversary. But if you want game recommendations. One game that is truly a space adventure is E.P.I.C.: Wishmaster There is no demo for this game. I liked it although I don’t remember if I reviewed it. Another that I liked was Alien Town. You’ll need to do a search for it on BFG as that’s not the complete title. It’s probably more detective than space adventure. I would also consider any of the House of 1000 Doors games to be sci-fi. Certainly the third, Serpent Flame game.

But that is about it. I don’t think any of the major developers have targeted Space/Sci-fi as a niche market they want to capture. I even went back and reviewed my BFG purchase history to see if anything rang a bell. There are lots of games that explore space and time travel, such as Forgotten Town, but not in a Sci-fi way.

Now if you want some recommendations for spanning the space time continuum in a non-casual way, I’ve got loads of recommendations.

And, BTW, my name is not rtrooney. It’s Tim. Feel free to use it. Most everyone else does. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Thank you to all who have participated. You’ve made this the go-to place to be for Casual Game enthusiasts on a venue that doesn’t like casual games all that much. We’ll have to do something special a week from Tuesday.

Suggestions are welcome.

Tim

Suggestions—we set a time on the big day and at that time we all sing happy birthday and eat a cupcake (wearing a party hat brings bonus points). Or maybe we could have a “Let’s Play” session with one recent casual game that we all agree on starting on the big day. Or we could contribute toward lists—science fiction recommendations could be a good start. Maybe other categories like: undiscovered casual gems or casual games that are refreshingly different in graphics or story or gameplay.

Rtrooney, my suggestion is that you can list at least 5 casual games (good ones, of course) that had nothing to do with fairytales, fantasy and detective scripts. I would like to know of games with sci-fi and space themes (others than Space Legends at the End of the Universe, that I played and can confirm that it sucks).

I second Tim’s recommendation of E.P.I.C.: Wishmaster. This game starts out a bit slow but picks up after the first hour or so. More casual games with science fiction themes: Eternal Journey: New Atlantis (most of this game is set on Mars.) The rest of the games listed below have science fiction themes but are set on earth (a few involve time travel): Tesla’s Tower: The Wardenclyffe Mystery, Unsolved Mystery Club: Ancient Astronauts, Fantastic Creations: House of Brass, Time Dreamer. I’m debating whether The Emerald Maiden: Symphony of Dreams would be considered science fiction—maybe science fiction-ish?

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I also recommend E.P.I.C.:Wishmaster  along with Eternal Journey: New Atlantis. A few others with at least a trace of Science Fiction are: Questerium, Greed: the Mad Scientist, and Secret Order: New Horizons. The other two Secret Order games seem to me more of a fantasy type game though.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 27 July 2014 08:37 PM

Suggestions—we set a time on the big day and at that time we all sing happy birthday and eat a cupcake (wearing a party hat brings bonus points). Or maybe we could have a “Let’s Play” session with one recent casual game that we all agree on starting on the big day. Or we could contribute toward lists—science fiction recommendations could be a good start. Maybe other categories like: undiscovered casual gems or casual games that are refreshingly different in graphics or story or gameplay.

I’m ready for party hats, cupcakes and water balloons. Although coordinating the WB barrage across multiple time zones might be a bit difficult.

But I love the idea of a casual playthough. Becky and I thought that doing a duo for the regular CPT would be a great idea. Her game was Tony Tough and mine was Dreamland. Neither got enough votes. (There’s always another ballot!) Doing a casual playthrough could be so much fun, providing we find the right game with sufficient length and complexity.

I think Becky’s other recommendations are also tremendous. trying to do them within the context of the current thread might be a problem, but not something that can’t be worked out.

Going to take a nap now. So much good stuff to think/dream about.

Thanks to everyone.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Thanks for the recommendations, Tim and Becky. I’ll start looking for the games right now!

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

furgotten - 27 July 2014 01:57 PM

... one of the lead designers died during the production so that might explain the sloppy aspects.

Eeep!  Now I feel a little bad, but that might explain a lot.

By the way, I didn’t encounter the game-ending bug, which I guess was a small mercy.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Dara100 - 28 July 2014 02:55 PM
furgotten - 27 July 2014 01:57 PM

... one of the lead designers died during the production so that might explain the sloppy aspects.

Eeep!  Now I feel a little bad, but that might explain a lot.

By the way, I didn’t encounter the game-ending bug, which I guess was a small mercy.

Don’t feel too bad. There’s a discussion going on elsewhere on AG that talks about lousy games. One of the comments, and I’ll paraphrase, is that a game’s “backstory” should not be a determining factor as to whether a game is considered good or bad. It is what it is.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

rtrooney - 27 July 2014 07:06 PM

Suggestions are welcome.

“...Now if you want some recommendations for spanning the space time continuum in a non-casual way, I’ve got loads of recommendations.”

Tim, that would be great to get your recommendations for casual and non-casual time travel games. 

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Most of these are old games. They will require some effort to play them, unless you can find them on GOG.com. One of my all-time favorites is Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon. Any of the Journeyman Project games. (Number two is the best.) Any of the Atlantis games. (Beyond Atlantis is the best.) REAH. Any of the Space Quest games. (I’m partial to the Spinal Frontier.)

Each of these are worth a good 20 hours of game play, if not more. When you’ve exhausted these, I have more to offer.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Thanks Tim.  I’ve played all of them except the Space Quest ones but that Spinal Frontier sounds like a hoot.

Anyone else have any good casual space/time travel games?  I’m playing E.P.I.C. Wishmaster now and it’s good.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I forgot to mention Timelapse, which is also one of the really good space/time travel adventures.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Yep, played that one too but it’s one of my favorites.  Guess I’ve about exhausted all the good full game ones but am hoping the casual game devs will come up with more in that genre.  The 1000 Door ones and Serpent Flame were very good and I’d like to see more of them.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, at the end of my posts is the link to the Casual Games Developers list. We could always write to a few of them and beg for more Sci-fi! Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

OK! Here is a thought of what an email/letter might sound like when addressed to a developer identified in the link.

Ladies and Gentlemen of your (insert name) development group:

I have enjoyed, and in some cases loved the games you have allowed me to play. That said, there is a market I think you are missing.

That is the Space/Science Fiction market. I can count the number of casual games that cater to this market on one finger of one hand. That game is E.P.I.C.: Wishmaster.

I want to see more games like this.

I’m tired of the fairies and pseudo detective adventures. I’ve played too many of the casual equivalents of a Rom-Com. I want you to develop games such as the aforementioned Wishmaster.

Step out of your comfort zone and give me a game that I can’t wait to play.

Personalize as you see fit. Let’s see what happens

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I just sang “Happy Birthday” to this thread while wearing my jester cap (orange and green with little bells).

Shall we decide on a “Let’s Play” game to do together?  Grin

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top