• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Let’s Play Keepsake

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Whoever solved the “pieces” puzzle:

all by him/herself, has my full admiration. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Don’t look at me. I worked at it for more than an hour and felt I was getting close, but finally threw in the towel. Here’s an interesting comment on this puzzle taken from one of the walkthroughs:

Spoiler just in case—

[spoiler]Note and editorial comment: I didn’t spend a bunch of time on this one.  There are over 60 moves to be completed in the correct sequence, to solve this puzzle, which is a silly waste of time, in my opinion. Wink Gimli and Jochen have provided a wonderful step-by-step graphic solution, for this and other puzzles, if you want to use it. You’ll find it here:  http://www.gameboomers.com/Walkthroughs/Kwalkthroughs.html  Or, you can request the solution through the Hint system. Even the automatic solution requires almost four and a half minutes to complete the sequence.

[/spoiler]

On the other hand, here it took three armed guards, three castle walls, three wizards and three mounted knights to accomplish what The Goat did singlehandedly—stopping me dead in my tracks.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The way I’m stuck right now, Lydia (Zak, too!) will lose some weight with me running her around the map back and forth. Few minutes later

Hmm… it’s not snowing, after all.

Yeah, I’ve noticed.

LOL!

Great view!

And another one…

Some more! OK… let me just admit it - I’ve used the hint as where to go next as I forgot about my main objectives in this part (it happens, you know, when you’re not playing for a month or so Grin), and the location shown was that one with the pieces puzzle. Even though I’ve reached it before, I forgot the exact route to it (and not using map doesn’ help either Grin… perhaps it’s time to start drawing my own map of the upper part?). However, there’s a rule: If you’re lost in Keepsake, keep using telepads until they bring you to the desired location. Grin

Few minutes and 100 telepads later…

Voila!

The satisfaction of finding the place soon melted to the hellish difficulty of this puzzle Grin I’m still working on it, but let me just say for now that it’s one of the hardest mini-games I’ve met in games. Foot in mouth (and I’m not talking about figuring the rules to it!)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Becky - 17 January 2014 07:13 AM

On the other hand, here it took three armed guards, three castle walls, three wizards and three mounted knights to accomplish what The Goat did singlehandedly—stopping me dead in my tracks.

LOL! I too needed a nudge from the UHS hints to get past it.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

We’ll be back very soon! (hopefully, not for another 5 months )

Meanwhile, did you see Russian Keepsake cover?

The way it totally changes the mood and the style of the character reminds me of Escape from Monkey Island Playstation cover Tongue:

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

The toy jester/clown has changed much from the actual game.  Smile

Looking at the Russian box cover, you wouldn’t exactly expect a game full of puzzles. Maybe some dragon taming instead?

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Since I’m ahead in Gray Matter playthrough (can you believe THAT?!), I’ve loaded Keepsake. What awaits me is, of course, the “Neverending puzzle”:

yeah, I used the first-level hint, but it didn’t tell me anything I haven’t knew before. Shifty Eyed You know, somehow I get the feeling that even if I didn’t pause playing Keepsake, and just kept trying to solve this puzzle during the previous months, I’d still be at the same place. Grin Also, I believe it’s one of the hardest puzzles I met so far where I KNOW all the rules and the goal, it’s just that the execution seems difficult. OK, time for plan B:

Yeap - drawing it! Now I can solve it while I’m having dinner, riding a bus, sitting on a toil… yeah, you get the idea. And not a word on my horse-head drawing skills!

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I almost cried when I did it! Grin

Even though it’s hard, it’s one of the best mini-games I’ve encountered so far. Never, on a simple 4x4 field I’ve met such “minimalistic” strategy game, feeling almost like a game of chess. (one additional thing that complicates things is that you don’t know if you’re stuck, and if it’s just better if you would reset the puzzle). I’m positive there’re various solutions, but one “global strategy” is to move your knights “out of the way”. Easier said than done - when I first tried to solve it, I had that very same idea, but after I failed to accomplish even that one goal, I strayed away. After I read the first part of the second-level hint, I tried it again, and managed to put the two knights in the bottom right corner. For the third knight, I planned to put him in the most upper right field, but while doing that, I suddenly spotted the possible “route of mages”, and hopped with my dragon to the exit. Tongue.

This root better be THE MOST VALUABLE ROOT in the universe, or I’m paying visit to the designers!

Have I mentioned those grayed-out field for “future inventory items”, as well? Funny, I never really noticed and analyzed those, they could be neat hints as well. Any other game where you can see items you’re still to pick up?

Running away from the “dragon puzzle” room as fast as we can! Wink

Now, where’s the laboratory again? (when you don’t play the game for a while, and forget about the surroundings, there’re two options: play with the telepads, or use the map! (not that it’s the most useful map in the world, but it helped)

I have only one potion to brew option available…

Won’t get wolfed again? Seems you are! Sorry, Zak!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 23 July 2014 10:14 AM

I’m positive there’re various solutions, but one “global strategy” is to…

I’m pretty sure there is only one single solution for all the 60+ moves!

When I battled with this myself, I actually got 4/5 of the way pretty fast without using any help whatsoever. But then I kept getting stuck just 2 moves from the exit, over and over again 1st lvl help did tell me anything I didn’t know, same for 2nd and 3rd, so I had to go all the way and have the game solve it for me. Right up to the place I got stuck every single move was the same as what I had done, but than at the last second it made a single small and in retrospect very obvious move, that I just hadn’t been able to see I could have kicked myself for not spotting that single move.

diego - 23 July 2014 10:14 AM

Have I mentioned those grayed-out field for “future inventory items”, as well? Funny, I never really noticed and analyzed those, they could be neat hints as well. Any other game where you can see items you’re still to pick up?

I believe i have seen it a one other game, but I can’t remember which?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Iznogood - 23 July 2014 05:12 PM

No way! I know of at least two end game “strategies” that work: moving your third knight to the upper left corner, and moving your third knight to the upper right corner, also I’m quite sure the dragon can take the route down the second or down the third column

For example, the end position in the SPOILER PICTURE AHEAD!!! Gameboomers’ solution, is quite different from mine, I had three mages slightly different positioned.

I believe i have seen it a one other game, but I can’t remember which?

Really?! Hmm.. I can’t remember any.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 23 July 2014 06:31 PM

No way! I know of at least two end game “strategies” that work: moving your third knight to the upper left corner, and moving your third knight to the upper right corner, also I’m quite sure the dragon can take the route down the second or down the third column

In that case I stand corrected.
I was basing my assumption on the fact that the auto-solve solution was exactly the same as my own, up until the point where I got stuck.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

diego - 22 July 2014 03:59 PM

And not a word on my horse-head drawing skills!

I like the horse on the top right. He looks like he’s partied all night and has just woken up and is still in his pajamas.

Trying to think of any other game that shows you an image of the inventory items you will eventually gather. Can’t think of one. It works in Keepsake because there aren’t many inventory items. If you pre-revealed all the inventory items in, say, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout, you’d have rows and rows of greyed-out “I’m waiting to be found” images.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sure it has to be a game with very few inventory items, and I’m not even sure that it was an adventure game I saw it in. I just know that when I played Keepsake I had already seen a similar system somewhere.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Becky - 23 July 2014 07:47 PM

I like the horse on the top right. He looks like he’s partied all night and has just woken up and is still in his pajamas.

Accidentally, that horse is the biggest pain in the a… for this puzzle, because he’s right next to dragon’s first possible move. (did I tell you how I spent one hour trying to crack the puzzle with pen & paper, forgetting the pieces can not move diagonally? Tongue). I suspect he’s the piece with the most total moves (horses are the “weak links” in the puzzle), so that’s probably why he’s drunk & all messed up. Grin

Becky - 23 July 2014 07:47 PM

If you pre-revealed all the inventory items in, say, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout, you’d have rows and rows of greyed-out “I’m waiting to be found” images.

Not to mention that if you’re to implement something like this in an inventory-heavy game, you’d be spoiling big part of it. (imagine seeing chicken with a pulley in the middle in advance Tongue)

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Diego, what happened to you? You just stoped playing Keepsake in the midle and then, after a year, started it up again??? You are crazy, man! Who in a right mind stops playing a game to continue after a YEAR??? Only if you have other trozen games to play in between, right?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top