• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kaptain Brawe 2 by Steve Ince and Bill Tiller (relaunched on kickstarter).

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

There’s currently a kickstarter in progress to help fund the sequel to the 2010 adventure “Kaptain Brawe - A Brawe New World”, which was a quite decent adventure game, heavily influenced by the 90’s Sierra and Lucasarts games, and The Curse of Monkey Island in particular. With the sequel, they plan on bringing the franchise to another level.

This time around, the story is written by legendary game designer Steve Ince of Broken Sword fame. Joining the team with his artistic vision is none other than former Lucasarts employee, Bill Tiller (known for his work on Curse of Monkey Island and The Dig), who also designed the logo for the Adventure Gamers website. According to Bill Tiller himself, he’s gonna make this “the best looking game possible”. Anything Bill touches tends to become the best looking game possible, so we know he’s telling the truth.
Here’s a video of Bill talking about joining Cateia Games.

Unlike the first game, Kaptain Brawe 2 will feature full English voice-overs.

I’m really excited about this Kickstarter, but as is common these days, it’s going slowly, and they need your help! Check out their kickstarter and make your pledge here !

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I remember when the first game was a promising indie development, a small 3 or 4 room demo created by a one woman team.

She used to post updates on here about it etc.

I wonder if she is still involved in the game or did she walk away when they expanded it into the full release of game one.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

That’s a steep goal. Good luck to the devs, but they should’ve come up with a reasonable sum of money - the original game wasn’t much of a hit, even for an adventure game.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Doom - 07 June 2014 05:41 PM

That’s a steep goal. Good luck to the devs, but they should’ve come up with a reasonable sum of money - the original game wasn’t much of a hit, even for an adventure game.

Yeah, you’re right. Considering the lack of English voice-overs in the original, its chance for success was quite limited to begin with, quite a few people dismissed the game for that reason alone. I bought the German version and installed a fanmade patch that allowed English subtitles with the German voices, and I found it to be one of the most enjoyable comedy adventures of recent years. 

At the rate the pledges are coming in at the moment, it doesn’t look very good, but I’ve good reason to believe Kaptain Brawe 2 is gonna be a fantastic adventure, so I’m really hoping people will give them a helping hand.

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Hello,

Sorry I haven’t been around much lately.  I really do hope you’ll help support the game.

While you may think the goal is steep, I am firmly of the opinion that you get what you pay for.  It is our intention to make this game the best we possibly can and under that proviso I think the goal is not unreasonable.  When you look back eight years to when I started on So Blonde, the budget for that game was roughly three times what the Cateia Games guys are asking.  Even without inflation I think you must agree that this represents incredibly good value for the project we intend to deliver, especially as English voices will be integral to the game.

I hope some of you will be able to see your way clear to supporting the game.

Thanks.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

It’s not that the goal is unreasonable per se, $150,000 isn’t a lot of money to make a professional game, most of us know that, but it may be an unreasonable amount to expect from kickstarter for this particular project, at this particular time - and by that I mean no offence! - As I mentioned earlier, I really believe it’s gonna be an awesome game, and I’ll be hurt if it doesn’t succeed. But, the kickstarter craze has passed, people aren’t pledging like they were in the beginning, and the projects that have received six figure (or more) fundings have normally been franchises that a lot of people have a strong nostalgia towards. Kaptain Brawe isn’t old enough for anyone to be nostalgic towards it, and as far as I can tell, it wasn’t the most commercially succesful title among modern adventure games, so the existing fanbase is probably too small to give that initial boost of pledges that a kickstarter project needs to succeed. Saying that the goal is steep comes from experience as a pledger at kickstarter and similar platforms. I’d say you have a good chance of raising $100.000 though, but I keep my fingers crossed that we can make the current goal.

I loved the first Kaptain Brawe, I love your story telling and I’m probably Bill Tillers biggest fanboi on this forum, so I’m gonna empty my wallet for this kickstarter and I hope more people will do the same. I wish you (or rather, us) good luck with the campaign! Smile

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Thanks, Dag.

When you put it in those terms I see your point and appreciate that.  If they hadn’t involved me or Bill they could probably have done it for 10K (kidding).

The fact that there are already hundreds of people supporting the project without it having a huge franchise factor is heart-warming.  This actually makes it harder if it does fail because we are sharing this campaign as a group.

Thank you again.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Stumbled upon this:

http://donaldraybernard.com/42/top-10-reasons-why-you-should-support-kaptain-brawe-2/

Smile

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Only ten?  Grin

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Steve Ince - 12 June 2014 02:20 PM

Only ten?  Grin

It’s a TOP 10. We can assume there are more. Wink

How do you feel about people acknowledging that your participation and Bill Tiller’s are bigger selling points than the original game was?
It’s almost at a point where it makes me think that if you two would team up for a new standalone project, it could garner more attention than a sequel to an existing game would… Gasp

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I want a top 60.  Smile

I’m not sure why that would be any bigger than working together on this project.  KB2 will be great, assuming we get the chance to bring it to completion.  We are confident it will be so much better than the original, but much of that comes from the Cateia Games guys, who are really talented and will do a lot of the work.  They deserve as much respect as Bill and I.

Even if Bill and I were to team up on another project, there would still be a need for a team like Cateia to make the game, which means it would be no different to what we have here.  Currently, KB2 is the best opportunity for adventure game players to see both of us working on the same adventure project.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Good news! As the newly edited thread title suggests, Kaptain Brawe 2 is up on kickstarter for a second attempt at getting funded, this time with a modest goal of $75,000. Check out their new kickstarter and pledge here.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Thanks for the update, Dag.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2014-07-11

PM

I would have backed the game, but there is something that really bothers me with these kickstarter stuff and the same is happening to you.

I need to give 20$ to get the game, If Don’t Give money now and the game gets released I will be able to buy it for a lot less.

Should’t the people who back these kind of things have like a preferred price?

I mean I should get the game for 10$ since I am risking my money for something that may never come to fruition.

But instead I have to pay more or similar to everybody else. This happened to Broken Age, I never backed the game and then I bought on steam for less than they were asking in kickstarter.

What kind of incentive do I get here? Sorry If I sound rude, but Ithe Kickstarter stuff is something I don’t support.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

AlbertX, you’re not being rude at all.  If you feel it’s not for you, you don’t have to support us, though we’d really like it if you would do so.  But it’s your choice.

Something you may like to think about is this: if people don’t back the campaign and it doesn’t reach its goal then there will be no game available regardless of the price.  KS campaigns are not about pre-ordering a game but about helping to fund development through the support of specific projects, which is also a commitment to the adventure genre, too.  It enables people like Bill Tiller and myself to work on the kind of projects we love.

Again, I hope you’ll still consider helping us reach our goal but I understand if you don’t wish to do so.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

OK, so we just had two pages worth of off-topic talk about about the risks and rewards of Kickstarter in general, and nothing about Kaptain Brawe 2, so I’ve put most of the off-topic talk into the “Have we had enough of Kickstarters and Remakes?”-thread (thanks, nomadsoul, for bringing that thread back to mind).

Please continue all talk about Kickstarter risks and so on in that thread, and keep this one for things related to the Kaptain Brawe 2 campaign.

Thanks.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top