• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Great movie. First one was a decent surprise, I think the sequel is better. Amazing what they do with CGI apes, Caesar has a great perfomance. Moves the Apes story in interesting ways, I hope they go for another one.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Boyhood - 4.5/5

It’s a great thing that after over a century of filmmaking, there are still directors out there coming up with new ideas. Instead of using ageing makeup or visual effects, Richard Linklater decided to make a family chronicle by filming for a few weeks each year for twelve years straight.
Boyhood is a ‘slice of life’ movie about a normal kid growing up and because filming took 12 years, you can really see the kid, his older sister (played by director Linklater’s daughter), and their parents (Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke) age throughout the film. The result is something really unique, and it adds a lot to the realism, drawing you in more and more as the film goes on. The nature of Boyhood makes everything insanely relatable. Everyone in the audience can recognize some of their own experiences watching this tale of a young boy growing into adulthood. It makes Boyhood hit really close to home while at the same time providing one of the most heartwarming and ‘human’ movies I’ve ever seen.
This transcends the coming-of-age premise and during the runtime of two hours and 45 minutes (time that will literally fly by), the characters on the screen will feel like they became a part of your very own family.
Boyhood is a compelling, masterful and unique film. I heartily recommend it to everyone who has ever been a kid growing up, facing life…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

This is one I really want to see.  The actor who plays the boy was on the Tonight Show recently, and his career is unique as far as I know.  He has 12 years of acting experience but only this movie on his resume.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 25 July 2014 08:58 PM

This is one I really want to see.

And it’s really good. Especially because everything in it feels real and ‘normal’. No life-changing events (apart from a few dysfunctional marriages - but who doesn’t know a couple that divorced because the man was an abusive drunk?), just life itself.
This is a movie that’s going to be remembered for a long time. Instant classic for me…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Guardians of the Galaxy

When I first heard they were going to make this movie I was heavily on the sceptical side. It’s not exactly a popular bunch of comic characters, it’s set in space and has a talking Racoon and a living tree.

It had disaster written all over it.

Until I saw it yesterday… The film we got was a rollicking and very funny space adventure and quite possibly the best film Marvel has made to date.

From the opening scene of Peter Quill dancing across a desolate planet to the sounds of ‘Come and Get Your Love’I knew we were in for something different.

The planet like the rest of the film is full of georgous Sci Fi vistas reminicent of 70’s and 80’s novels. Like a Heinlen cover given life. Including a visit to Planet of miners inside a giant skull of a dead alien.

The group of rag tag heros are forced together, a bunch of sarcastic anti heroes, to fight Thanos and his lacky Ronan the Accuser.

Everybody gets their moment in the film. Chris Pratt is fantastic as the thief with a heart, but Rocket and Groot get all the best funny lines. They make an unlikely group but somehow it works and they are great together.

I loved every minute.

I AM GROOT

4.5/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Can’t wait to see next week when it opens here. And it just got an opening of 94M at the domestic boxoffice!
It’s safe to say Marvel Studios can what the hell want to now, everything is a hit!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

That’s also because every Marvel movie these last years has been awesome, great, good or at the very least decent. The DC movies haven’t gone close to that level of consistent quality yet…

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Yeah, that’s very true, Kevin Feige and his production team do wonders for maintaining quality. getting what the audiences want done and very balanced release schedule.
Thor 2 had some problems and presumably he and Joss Whedon stepped in and “fixed” it. Let’s see if they can save Ant-Man next year now that Edgar Wright left and instantly made the movie less interesting.

Meanwhile DC is trying to cram everything they got into Batman vs Superman and nobody has faith in it.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Studio Ghibli shuts down production department, will take a break and consider future.

Thats a downer, i guess i have to hunt their latest offerings.

Still have to check out The Wind Rises.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Just seen The Count of Monte-Cristo from 1975. - what a splendid movie! I’ve seen it earlier, and it still holds up. I didn’t think the 2002. version was bad, but this one with Richard Chamberlain is even better. Don’t know what the book lovers will think of some of the changes and omissions, though. (I’ve heard Gerard Depardieu’s version is the closest to the original)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Usually, I don’t like a lot of US blockbuster movies. However, I finally got back to a series that I still consider a great example for brilliant blockbuster cinema: The Batman movies by Chris Nolan.

Revisted the first two movies so far, will watch the third one for the second time soon. After that I will probably watch the other Nolan movies again.

I liked Batman Begins, and while I thought that the first half was stronger than the second, I realized how much better The Dark Knight really was. I haven’t seen it in some years, and now I was just as blown away as when I saw it for the first time. Along with Inception and Memento, this is definitely my favorite Nolan movie. Nothing I don’t like about it. In my book it’s definitely worth every bit of hype that surrounded the release. Now I’m looking forward to see The Dark Knight Rises again (which I liked a lot when I saw it for the first time, especially as its approach was quite different in comparism to The Dark Knight).

Will probably watch Drive again before that. Another movie I really liked in recent years. Full of atmosphere, an incredibly strong imagery that has something magnetizing about it, and a neat performance by Ryan Gosling.

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Big Nolan fan myself. You’re an awesome director in my book if the worst movie you’ve made is Batman Begins. It also shows how relative “worst” can be. Tongue
I really liked his Insomnia remake as well.

Have you seen his debut, Following? It’s about an hour long, in black-and-white, cost 6000 dollars (which to my knowledge is probably the cheapest movie ever made) and is about as mindblowing as Memento. If you can track this down, I HIGHLY recommend it! Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

It’s funny that you mention Following. I heard about it for the first time yesterday. Being completely hyped by The Dark Knight, I went on Imdb and wanted to see what movie Nolan is currently working on. That’s how I found out that he did another movie before Memento (which is something I didn’t know before).

Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely try to get a hold of the DVD. Trailer looks awesome, and just like you said… if Batman Begins is really his “worst movie” that’s pretty impressive indeed.

Also want to watch Insomnia again. I’ve seen it in the cinema when it was released (primarily because I’m a huge Pacino fan), and I own it on DVD, but I haven’t seen it in ages. I also remember recording the original version from Norway on video years ago, but I barely remember it. The only thing I can recall is pretty much that the ending was different.

Another movie I really want to get on DVD is The Prestige. I’ve seen it when it was released, and know that I liked it, but I would love to refresh my memories. The only thing negative I remember is that I felt like Jackman was far away from Bale’s level as an actor, but maybe that’s just me. Smile

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I agree that Dark Knight was the stongest of the trilogy but In my opinion Batman Begins was much better than Dark Knight Rises that has some really questionable plot points.
In Nolan previous works I wasn’t a fan of Insomnia but the rest was great.

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy, very fun movie, I was expecting more but probably had unreal expectations… and it’s another good Marvel movie. Rocket and Groot stole the show.

The post-credits scene came out of nowhere - such a troll that James Gunn Smile

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Guardians of the Galaxy - 3.5/5

Well, that was fun. Cool
Drax and Groot stole the show, too bad Star-Lord is too generic. The trailer betrayed me a little - I was expecting a larger role for John C. Reilly (who I happen to like).
And then the opening credits betrayed me again when they showed that Karen Gillan was in this. I turned to my mate (who’s not a Dr. Who fan) to say “she’s gorgeous, you’ll see”, only to get the Karen Gillan on the right instead of the one on the left in the film… Tongue

Also, are they really planning on rebooting Howard the Duck??? That’s either insane or genius, or possibly both… Tongue

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 3.5/5

Just like Rise of the Planet of the Apes, this is a very solid film. Apart from the absolutely outstanding CGI work on the monkeys apes, there were a couple of brilliant shots in it. There was the very well-done opening to show the events that happened since the previous film, as well as a rotating shot on top of a tank during the main attack of the film. Stunning work.

Unexpected funny moment: Gary Oldman needs to address a large group of panicking people. Instead of trying to grab their attention by yelling “PEOPLE!”, he yells “EVERYONE!”. All I could think was:

Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top