• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #27: Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Took the best part of an hour for me!

Cheers
Nod

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2014-04-21

PM

Hey all,

First time poster here. I heard about this thread over at the official Big Finish Games forum and figured I’d stop by. I’m a longtime Tex Murphy fan (basically since UAKM was released in 1994), and while I’m not officially taking part in the Community Playthrough, I am in the process of re-playing all of the Tex games in advance of the Tesla Effect release in a couple of weeks, so it’s been a lot of fun seeing everyone’s reaction to a game that I’ve loved for so long.

I also thought I’d take a second to address a couple of things that I’ve seen mentioned in the thread, in case anyone is interested in this stuff. Hope I’m not stepping on anyone’s toes. In no particular order:

- There’s been some criticism of the away-and-back deal at the Garden House, where you have to wait for Malloy to return and leave his jeans for Tex to find. This snafu is widely regarded by longtime Tex fans as one of the most regrettable gameplay elements in the Tex franchise, and multiple people (myself included) mentioned it in a thread last year when Tex fans/backers were asked for some gameplay feedback in advance of Tesla Effect. (There’s a sequence in Overseer that is similarly counter-intuitive, and it’s usually mentioned in the same breath. There’s also a second instance in Pandora that is kind of similar and gets criticized occasionally, but you guys aren’t there yet, so I’ll hold off on mentioning it for now.) My hope is that Big Finish will avoid this kind of thing in the new game.

- I saw someone mention the Pandora walkthrough available on Aaron Conners’ site. (Thanks for the heads-up, by the way… I didn’t even know the walkthrough existed.) It’s an interesting read, but fair warning: it’s pretty inaccurate in several spots, making references to puzzles/locations/narrative that either don’t exist or are different in the actual game. My guess is the walkthrough refers to an earlier version of the game and/or is the product of simple misremembering. It’s definitely an interesting look into how the game might have been different, though.

- Regarding the crashes that people are experiencing in Autotech’s Evidence Room. It’s funny… I’ve played through the game literally dozens of times and never had it crash on me in that location until today. My guess is it’s some kind of issue that only cropped up in GOG’s most recent release of the game.

- The novel! I haven’t read it in a while, but it’s been a lot of fun hearing Kurufinwe’s descriptions. I know that for me, the book helped a lot in explaining/expanding upon some of the minor details of the game, most notably the mystery of Archie Ellis’ puzzle box, which was mentioned earlier. (Warning: there’s a really major story spoiler in this next spoiler text, so if you’ve never played Pandora all the way to the end before, avoid looking at it for now.) My understanding of the saga of Archie’s box is that Malloy sent it to Ellis, but the NSA stole it from him and gave it to Regan, who is eventually revealed to have been working with Jackson Cross the whole time. Regan then gives it to Tex in order to gain his trust, presenting it as if it had been hers all along. Regan had never been one of Malloy’s five intended box recipients (those would be Archie Ellis, Emily Sue Patterson, Oliver Edsen, Elijah Witt, and Gordon Fitzpatrick). Oh, and to answer one other random question that was mentioned: I don’t think Gus Leach is ever presented as Emily’s brother in either the game or the book, so in that respect I don’t think the novel’s characterization of Gus is inconsistent with the game.

OK, I think that’s it for now. Good luck in Roswell, everybody! (You’re gonna need it.)

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

ASimpson - 21 April 2014 07:12 AM

Oh, and to answer one other random question that was mentioned: I don’t think Gus Leach is ever presented as Emily’s brother in either the game or the book, so in that respect I don’t think the novel’s characterization of Gus is inconsistent with the game.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have no idea where I got that idea that Gus was Emily’s brother from…

(And welcome to the forums!)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

(There’s a sequence in Overseer that is similarly counter-intuitive, and it’s usually mentioned in the same breath. There’s also a second instance in Pandora that is kind of similar and gets criticized occasionally, but you guys aren’t there yet, so I’ll hold off on mentioning it for now.)

I think I know what puzzle in PD you’re refering to, but what was the puzzle in Overseer?

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

wilco - 22 April 2014 02:48 PM

(There’s a sequence in Overseer that is similarly counter-intuitive, and it’s usually mentioned in the same breath. There’s also a second instance in Pandora that is kind of similar and gets criticized occasionally, but you guys aren’t there yet, so I’ll hold off on mentioning it for now.)

I think I know what puzzle in PD you’re refering to, but what was is puzzle in Overseer?

You have to return somewhere to pick up some post. Personally, like Malloy’s jeans here, I have never had a problem with either, nor with the next similar trigger in PD, but many people didn’t/don’t like them.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Finished Day 6. Walking through the laser field wasn’t nearly as hard as I thought it would be. (Although I did save very frequently.) But solving the puzzle itself was perplexing. Without having a top-down view of the grid I had no idea what effect the numbers I entered on the keypad would have on the laser field. I finally resorted to a WT, and, to be honest, I’m still not sure what the numbers mean.

I didn’t like the seeming requirement of going through the laser field four times. I thought that was a little tedious. However, I did find that you actually only need to go through it three times. It is possible to place the bomb from the other side of the laser field.

I was unable to start Day 6 on Saturday. I’m guessing the episode took me a little over an hour to complete. About twenty minutes were spent trying to figure out the code. And then there was maybe seven minutes for each of the trips through the laser field. So, over half of the total time was spent on the one puzzle.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m only partway through Day Six. The gameplay in Day Five was tough! I used a walkthrough for the puzzle box—the one that has to do with the map. Once I saw the solution, I knew I never would have figured it out on my own. Well, maybe if I was stranded alone in a snowstorm and the puzzle was the only thing I had to do for a week.

I experienced the same crashes in the Evidence Room that other people have mentioned. It usually happened when I was close to the door with the security device.

I had a nice chat with Mac Malden about juicers. Someone on this thread (I think it was Jabod) mentioned that the actor who played Mac was the brother of Chris Jones. They did seem to be enjoying their time together on-screen. I wonder if Chris Jones wrote particularly lively back-and-forth dialog for the conversations with Mac so he and his brother could insult one another with impunity.

Interesting that Regan describes Emily as a gold digger. Malloy didn’t seem to have any money that would be worth digging for. Regan, on the other hand, is clearly out for money at the expense of everything else. Maybe she’s projecting her own faults onto Emily? (BTW, I think the reason Regan looks weird in that brown wig is that the actress who plays Regan is a natural blonde, but the writers must have decided that yet another blonde temptress would be confusing.)

I don’t understand why the NSA didn’t kill Tex right after Dag Horton fell from the roof—they had a hover craft right there, and the NSA agents always seem to be armed. Why’d they hold back when Tex was unarmed and vulnerable and had apparently just offed one of their people?

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2014-04-21

PM

Jabod - 22 April 2014 03:03 PM
wilco - 22 April 2014 02:48 PM

I think I know what puzzle in PD you’re refering to, but what was is puzzle in Overseer?

You have to return somewhere to pick up some post. Personally, like Malloy’s jeans here, I have never had a problem with either, nor with the next similar trigger in PD, but many people didn’t/don’t like them.

Yeah, that’s the one. I’ve actually never had a huge problem with them either, but when asked to nitpick, I felt they were worth mentioning.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

rtrooney - 22 April 2014 06:33 PM

Finished Day 6. Walking through the laser field wasn’t nearly as hard as I thought it would be. (Although I did save very frequently.) But solving the puzzle itself was perplexing. Without having a top-down view of the grid I had no idea what effect the numbers I entered on the keypad would have on the laser field. I finally resorted to a WT, and, to be honest, I’m still not sure what the numbers mean.

I’m a bit perplexed here Tim. When you enter the code (Alpha) and then supply the correct schematic to satisfy the all boxes crossed criteria sections of the laser field turn blue instead of red. You just walk through the blue bits quite safely. This is true both in both playing modes - unless I’ve missed something completely over the years or have misunderstood what you meant (both quite likely Laughing )

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have just managed to finish Day 6 myself, after being a bit preoccupied with both Moebius and BS5 Smile so here are some more or less unstructured notes.

That Alpha code for the lasers always gets me, I don’t know why but I never notice it on that laser grid note, so instead I run around like a headless chicken looking for some clue I have missed, until I finally take a second look, and remember I did the exact same thing last time The grid puzzle itself is however nice and not too difficult, though it requires some “out of the box” thinking.

I’m glad no one has complained about navigating the laser grid, as this is something many has complaint about over the years. And yes, you can throw the lit dynamite at the door from the other side of the laser grid, saving yourself two trips through it whereof one would be under time pressure.

Isn’t it wonderful that when we have to strip a piece of wire we simply find and use a wire-stripper, instead of having to use a nail-clipper or some other kind of McGyver solution to the problem?

I find the Tex’s PI rulebook is beginning to get suspiciously specific, in fact I’m beginning to suspect that he just makes up the rules as he goes along:

Now isn’t it nice to know that Cross is really on our side - I just wish he had told us that instead of all that shebackle at the NSA. But it does kind of explain a few things Wink

Damn it! They sure would have come in handy if they had worked, I’m not sure I trust that Cross is actually on our side.

Have you ever wonder would the game would look like if you could walk inside the walls, well now you have the chance, as there is a hole in the geometry in this chapter, not exactly an Easter egg but still…

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I know that for me, the book helped a lot in explaining/expanding upon some of the minor details of the game, most notably the mystery of Archie Ellis’ puzzle box, which was mentioned earlier. (Warning: there’s a really major story spoiler in this next spoiler text, so if you’ve never played Pandora all the way to the end before, avoid looking at it for now.) My understanding of the saga of Archie’s box is that Malloy sent it to Ellis, but the NSA stole it from him and gave it to Regan, who is eventually revealed to have been working with Jackson Cross the whole time. Regan then gives it to Tex in order to gain his trust, presenting it as if it had been hers all along. Regan had never been one of Malloy’s five intended box recipients (those would be Archie Ellis, Emily Sue Patterson, Oliver Edsen, Elijah Witt, and Gordon Fitzpatrick).

You know, I have never really thought much about that, or perhaps I have and just forgotten it again. It has never really occurred to me to count the number of boxes, or question that Regan didn’t get her box legitimately, but your explanation makes perfect sense.

And please feel free to post your thoughts, even if you are not taking part in the actual playthrough.

Becky - 22 April 2014 08:53 PM

I’m only partway through Day Six. The gameplay in Day Five was tough! I used a walkthrough for the puzzle box—the one that has to do with the map. Once I saw the solution, I knew I never would have figured it out on my own. Well, maybe if I was stranded alone in a snowstorm and the puzzle was the only thing I had to do for a week.

Well if you think day 5 was though, then you ain’t seen nothing yet Wink I did mention that it was not an easy game - didn’t I? (And why does that song remind me of the relationship between Regan and Tex?) Anyway that puzzle box is imo the most difficult one in the game, and the only reason I solved it this time without any help, was because I remembered not the exact solution, but the principles for solving it from my last playthrough. 

Interesting that Regan describes Emily as a gold digger. Malloy didn’t seem to have any money that would be worth digging for. Regan, on the other hand, is clearly out for money at the expense of everything else. Maybe she’s projecting her own faults onto Emily?

Yeah, I though about that myself, she is obviously not very fond of Emily. Perhaps there is a story here, that is not really told in the game?

I don’t understand why the NSA didn’t kill Tex right after Dag Horton fell from the roof—they had a hover craft right there, and the NSA agents always seem to be armed. Why’d they hold back when Tex was unarmed and vulnerable and had apparently just offed one of their people?

Witnesses perhaps? Besides it is a covert operation, and not an official one according to Lucila’s Fax, so it makes sense that they do not want to draw too much attention to themselves.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I think it is about time to once again ask a few questions to round up things up a bit:

1) Did you:

Or did this happen:

2) In chapter 4, did you also remember to:

My own answers:

1) Both actually, I did warn him, but for some reason he apparently didn’t take the warning seriously and still ended up dead!

2) Not possible on BoBD as he won’t even talk to me.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

1a) I talked to Archie and then returned to Roswell. I don’t know if I could have lingered at the scene and thus triggered…

1b) which I did not see.

2. Yes. So I’m obviously not on the BoBD path.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 24 April 2014 06:26 PM

I don’t know if I could have lingered at the scene and thus triggered…

No, option B is just shown to us at the end of the chapter.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, I finished the chapter and didn’t see it so I am guessing viewing that scene is path-sensitive.

But, at this stage of the game I am more interested in finishing the game than anything else.

It would appear that I am on a different path than others. Some of the puzzles are more difficult for some than others. I found the map-box puzzle difficult, but not impossible. But then I just didn’t “get” the control box puzzle which others found very simple to solve. Right brain/Left brain difficulties I imagine.

This game is kind of wearing me out. If there was ever a playthrough that begged for a “time out” and come back in a week or two with the brain cells refreshed this is it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top