• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

STASIS Kickstarter

Total Posts: 130

Joined 2010-12-09

PM

A TRAILER SHOWING SOME OF THE NEW ENVIRONMENTS IN STASIS!

LINK TO THE KICKSTARTER UPDATE

I’m at the four month mark of full time development on Stasis!

The majority of the Alpha bug fixes and new systems have been done and dusted, and so I have been able to move onto entire new and exciting Stasis environments.

The medical suites are stark and white with a vastly different aesthetic, compared to the rusty, industrial grime you’ve seen so far. It’s refreshing to work on a new experience point with an unfamiliar tile set. I’ve also now created the medical puzzle that was alluded to in the last update.

NEW MEDICAL LOOK & FEEL

CONCEPT ART

SCREENS FROM THE ABOVE CONCEPT ART - IN GAME

“The skeletal remains lie clustered together around the room, as if they died in a stampede, or clutching each other. Somehow the bones hold no scraps of flesh.”

We’ve received some new writing from Christopher Dare and it is excellent! I can already see how the extra depth of this writing will echo through the environments, and really draw a player in.

I’m now moving onto the Hydroponics Bay… wish me luck Smile

AND SOME MORE ART!

-Chris

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

*drools*

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2010-12-09

PM

Thanks guys! Full update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bischoff/stasis-2d-isometric-scifi-horror-adventure-game/posts/940503

Music is incredibly important to me. While I’m usually a I-can-do-it-on-my-own person, I knew that having the perfect music for Stasis would mean having to find a pro.

One of the main goals of the Kickstarter campaign was to bring on a professional composer to translate the Stasis world and story into music. That is way easier to say, than do!

When Mark Morgan asked to be a part of the project I almost fell off my chair. It’s no secret that the Fallout series was a transformative experience for me when I was younger; to have Fallout’s composer work on this little project of mine… well, I was more than a little intimidated!

From the get go, Mark and I shared the same vision for the sound of Stasis. The main sounds of the game come from John’s surroundings (you know who John is by now!) but the music comes from within. It’s his experience - his personal story - that is being told through the score. Mark instantly understood what I was trying to put across and has created a haunting internal score.

The idea was to have a strong melody base around a lullaby. Creepy, huh? There are early leanings towards this idea in the trailers, as well as the opening piano music in the Alpha (played by me when I was in my I-can-do-it-on-my-own stage). Mark took this concept and created a beautiful melody that we are using as a foundation for the score.

Instead of focusing on scene based music, we’re using the score to accentuate John’s emotions. HOPE, FEAR, TERROR: these are the central themes for the music of Stasis - the skeleton that everything hangs off of.

I’m incredibly proud to give you a small glimpse into the musical world that Mark has created.

Q&A WITH MR MORGAN!

The main lullaby is a strong piece of music as a melody - something I know that was difficult to pin down. When creating ‘Dream Of Us’ (the main lullaby tune), what were the inspirations for the piece?

Mark Morgan: To me, it was about John singing a lullaby to his daughter so I envisioned what that would be like and went for a simple melody that could be sung by itself.

Is it difficult to create the emotional aspects from this melody? Do you draw from previous experiences? Or is it a process of trying different keys and instruments and seeing what fits?

Mark Morgan: I think it’s a combination of both. The goal is to have a melody that can speak to you differently depending on the vibe. I believe that it all indirectly comes from your existence and experiences as a human being, rather than finding that emotion though the music. Certain orchestration portrays a certain emotion. Both Chris and I decided that for the more emotional pieces, cello, violin and piano would be the solo voices for the sound of Stasis. Then it’s just a matter of fitting the puzzle together.

While John’s external journey is being told visually, his internal journey is being told through the score. Are you still using the visuals as inspiration or does it help to focus JUST on the story elements?

Mark Morgan: I think for John’s internal journey, musically I am focused on the story elements but I’m always aware of the visuals so not to lose sight of where he is. The visuals directly or indirectly have a huge influence on the musical palette.

Is working on Stasis any different to the other game projects that you have worked on, and if so how?

Mark Morgan: As of late, most of the games I’m involved in are in some way story driven, but in then case of Stasis, the story is so important and the music plays a huge role in telling that story. Sometimes I have found when it’s just about gameplay, musically it’s hard to feel that you’re immersed in the moment. It becomes about broad stokes as opposed to written for the moment.

PROJECT UPDATES

We are past the halfway point and things are moving as smoothly as ever! Nic and I have spent the last few weeks focusing on our writers, even adding another to the team. Mark Odell has provided us with an incredibly terrifying piece of writing. Each body you find has a story to it and exists as a small piece of the puzzle. It’s satisfying to see all of this come together.

Graphically, the game is pushing to completion. 90%, with one final scene being added. I’m purposefully leaving this screen towards the end of production because of how intense it will be to produce.

I’ve also been implementing some additional effects - courtesy of the latest release of Visionaire. GET IT HERE! The implementation of camera effects and screen shaders will add extra life into Stasis.

The script has only the last two chapters to be completely refined before we can send it to the copy editors and the voice artists. There will be a time when I have to say, “enough editing!”, but until that day, I will continue to tweak!

-Chris

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Looks really good. Can’t wait till it is out.

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

Very nice piece.

I love the subtle “off notes” the piano occasionally plays. Notes that are off in a melodic sense is a common concept in horror movies and games, but usually it’s much more on the nose - telling the audience when to feel scared or uncomfortable. In this piece, it’s much more subtle, and the result is an unique atmosphere and musical experience.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Atmospheric is the key word with that music. It also has an ominous tone to it. Sounds like I’ll be uneasy playing the game, even when nothing’s happening. Perfect for the kind of game it is! Mark Morgan is a genius! Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Sounds very fitting for the scenario.
Looking at Mark Morgan previous works the standout for me is the Zork Nemesis soundtrack, really liked it at the time.

Joined 2010-12-09

PM

Thanks so much guys! We have been working very hard at getting the music just right…Im so glad that its hitting the right notes with you!

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2003-09-21

PM

Ah, that music is a thing of beauty and the art direction remains stunning. I love the tone too.

Right or wrong, weak or strong.

Joined 2010-12-09

PM

Thanks D.C!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Each update on this project is just as amazing as the previous one. My expectations are growing by the minute.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

New backer update out along with a YouTube trailer link:

Life is what it is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top