• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Monday 14 April 2014

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oscar - 15 April 2014 07:43 AM

I agree with him. I grew up with DOS but there’s no reason we should be typing DOS commands in 2014.

But you do realize that the only way to play 80% of DOS games is via DOSBox, right? They’re not on GOG (and perhaps will never be), and they’re not supported by ScummVM (and perhaps will never be). Not to mention that what GOG does is actually using DOSBox. Until someone invents software where you can start the old games by yawning at the screen, DOSBox is still the best option.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 15 April 2014 07:34 AM

I’ll tell you it’s Philip K. Dick (SF writer).

It’s like swimming in alphabet soup. How was I supposed to get that?

You should have remembered that “Advie” had mentioned Ubik (or was it The Man in the High Castle?) quite a few times, so…

Elementary, my dear Watson sport.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

DOSBox is, quite frankly, one of the greatest pieces of software I use. Between that and Virtual Box, there’s almost no need for an actual computer for old PC games at all. In fact, you don’t even need Windows any more (as a Host system). You can run them on Linux, Mac, BSD, etc.

My bias actually swings the other way. I don’t like ScummVM. But I grew up on command line (that’s all there was then) and I’m actually posting this from Linux so I’m not exactly an average user.

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Bastich - 15 April 2014 11:34 PM

I don’t like ScummVM.

Too simple for you, I presume.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

zobraks - 16 April 2014 03:51 AM

Too simple for you, I presume.

Not at all. Simple is good. Simplicity at the cost of utility however is not. Power and freedom are much dearer to me than convenience. A couple minutes of configuration to play pretty much anything? Totally worth it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top