• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

millenia - 13 April 2014 12:08 PM

I couldn’t resist starting Memoria and I “accidentally” played it 7 hours straight. Jeez. These games are indeed good. Engaging story, beautiful world and mostly very good puzzles. I was surprised that Memoria actually was a sequel - kinda. Pleasantly surprised of course.

Memoria is not from the same guys that made Chains of Satinav. Hence the difference. I too agree that Memoria is better than Chains of Satinav even though I do have soft spot for that one as well.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Yeah, so far Memoria is feeling even better than Chains of Satinav, but the romance in it will always make me feel very tender thinking about the game Heart Eyes.

To Eleah: in the off chance that you haven’t played The Longest Journey and Dreamfall yet, they have the similar type of grand fantasy adventure. They even have a crow! TLJ’s gameplay is also very similar.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I was surprised that Memoria actually was a sequel - kinda. Pleasantly surprised of course.

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav -> The Dark Eye: Memoria Wink
Seems pretty obvious to me that it is a sequel, even if the TDE prefix for some unknown reason has been omitted from the game in the database here on the AG site.

gray pierce - 13 April 2014 01:11 PM

Memoria is not from the same guys that made Chains of Satinav.

What do you mean, both are from Daedalic Entertainment and according to the credits many of the same people was involved in both games?

Though the “Game by” credit does seem to go to two different people respectively Franziska Reinhard and Kevin Mentz.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Iznogood - 13 April 2014 02:46 PM

I was surprised that Memoria actually was a sequel - kinda. Pleasantly surprised of course.

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav -> The Dark Eye: Memoria Wink
Seems pretty obvious to me that it is a sequel, even if the TDE prefix for some unknown reason has been omitted from the game in the database here on the AG site.

I didn’t mean that. I had heard from many sources that it wasn’t a sequel but a prequel. I had no idea that I’d be seeing Geron and Nuri again.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Iznogood - 13 April 2014 02:46 PM

What do you mean, both are from Daedalic Entertainment and according to the credits many of the same people was involved in both games?

Though the “Game by” credit does seem to go to two different people respectively Franziska Reinhard and Kevin Mentz.

That’s exactly what I mean! Twp different people in charge. It’s like during a movie series they change directors, usually the sequel is ging to be different from the previous entry. Every person brings his or her own personal touch to the series. In this case it’s a much more epic story. Somewhat reminiscent of Kevin Mentz’s A New Beginning (but with better writing luckily)

But yes a lot of the same people were involved but did a better job this time. I mean compare Chains of Satinav’s horribly dissapointing soundtrack to Memoria’s awesome soundtrack which was done by one of the two people that did the Chains of Satinav soundtrack.

I make it sound like Chains of Satinav was one big dissapointment now. Even though there were some things that I think could’ve been handled better, mostly the story and characters, I do still like it. It looks pretty and most of the puzzles are fun. Also the ending is pretty good.

Memoria on the other hand I though was quite good. Geron’s storyline was rather dull but Sadja’s awesome story more than made up for it. The writing was better than in Chains of Satinav with a couple of really good charcters including are feisty but hardboiled female protagonist and her trusty companion. And the ending was absolutely fantastic and really makes me hope for a Dark Eye 3. As long as it’s done by Kevin Mentz again that is.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

gray pierce - 13 April 2014 07:59 PM

That’s exactly what I mean! Twp different people in charge.

Ah, well I never noticed that it had two different lead designers, before your post made me check. I just thought of it as a natural progression in quality, like The Empire Strikes Back is also much better than the original Star Wars.

But I guess you have a point, and I agree that Memoria is better than Chains, even though I also quite liked Chains.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Iznogood - 14 April 2014 07:41 AM
gray pierce - 13 April 2014 07:59 PM

That’s exactly what I mean! Twp different people in charge.

Ah, well I never noticed that it had two different lead designers, before your post made me check. I just thought of it as a natural progression in quality, like The Empire Strikes Back is also much better than the original Star Wars.

But I guess you have a point, and I agree that Memoria is better than Chains, even though I also quite liked Chains.

Agreed and you know why that is? Because George Lucas had virtually nothing to do with The Empire Strikes back. It was neither written nor directed nor even produced by him. The only thing he’s credited for is “story” which is pretty vague. He did co-write Return of the Jedi though which is exactly why it isn’t as good as The Empire Strikes Back. The Empire Strikes Back was co-written by the same guy who wrote Raiders of the Lost Arc by the way.

My point being: almost always when a series suddenly gets better or worse it’s because different people got in charge. Check it if you want. You’ll see I’m right.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top