• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Three Questions

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Lee in Limbo - 25 October 2012 07:41 AM

1) What’s the trickiest piece of music you enjoy listening to (or playing, if you’re a musician who can play that sort of thing)?
2) What’s the weirdest piece of music you enjoy listening to?
3) What’s the ‘poppiest’ piece of music you enjoy listening to?

1. Once upon a time I played “classical” piano to a reasonable level and there are certainly one or two Chopin/Liszt pieces that I couldn’t play now but could reasonably well before.

2. Tough one, Escaped and Lost Down in Medina by Ghost is an acquired taste I suppose. They are a Japanese experimental rock band and I think the track qualifies as Weird. If not then Peter Maxwell Davies’ 8 songs for a mad king should do it.

3. I’ve never really been that much into mainstream stuff, but I did buy The Divine Comedy’s greatest hits album recently.

Same questions.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Intense Degree -

1. What is your view of advertising in “free” apps or games on whatever platform? What, if anything, is too much?
2. Which one of the following is the most important for you to have, a desktop, laptop, phone, TV or similar?
3. If you had to choose between (1)computers/consoles/teh internetz and (2)TV/Films (on the assumption that you couldn’t get TV/films on the computer/console/internet and don’t have a smart TV) which one would you have?

1. I get the need for advertising (or better: revenue) for ‘free’ apps or games, but personally I draw the line at any advertising that’s noisy and unskippable or otherwise very much in-your-face. Basically anything that’s not a silent banner or that’s not a ‘natural’ part of the game.

2. Desktop (for all kinds of gaming, and the internet, and as a potential replacement of the TV), TV (for movies and series), laptop (don’t have one, but for adventure gaming and the internet I’d want one if I couldn’t have a desktop), and lastly phone. I could get by without a phone.

3. GAAAAH!!!! Don’t make me choose between them!!! Gasp
I wouldn’t be able to miss either one of them. Seriously.
Well, console and TV I could miss, but not computers, internet and films…

Lee in Limbo -

1) What’s the trickiest piece of music you enjoy listening to (or playing, if you’re a musician who can play that sort of thing)?
2) What’s the weirdest piece of music you enjoy listening to?
3) What’s the ‘poppiest’ piece of music you enjoy listening to?

Whew, tough questions… Define ‘tricky’, ‘weird’ and ‘poppy’, please! Grin

1) Anything that switches genre mid-song, like Queen’s ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’, or ‘Innuendo’, or Porcupine Tree’s ‘Arriving Somewhere (But Not Here)’. Or songs that are extremely difficult to play, like half the songs by Tool, since that drummer has the insane ability to drum at two (or sometimes even three) different tempos *at the same time*. Seriously, Danny Carey is the most talented drummer to ever walk this earth…

2) Trent Reznor (or better: Nine Inch Nails) occasionally has songs which can be considered “weird”, and I absolutely love his music. When I was young, I found David Bowie’s two “Tin Machine” albums to be weird, but I liked them. It’s been almost 20 years since I last heard them, though. Don’t know if I could still consider them weird now.

3) Well, Counting Crows and the Dutch band Bløf are amongst my favourite bands (so it’s not like I *only* listen to rock and metal), but for something that’s actually ‘poppy’? I’d probably have to say ‘Mika’ since I rather enjoyed his debut album (and even willingly put it on my iPod when on vacation a few years ago).

Same questions.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

New Questions:

1. If you suddenly found yourself in possession of £1,000,000 what is the first thing you would buy?
2. If you had to move to another country for one year, where would you go?
3. If you had to end your own life (hypothetically of course! Smile) and frame somebody else for murder, how would you do it?

(I think we have probably had all of those questions before but who’s counting?!)

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-06-23

PM

Intense Degree - 01 March 2013 11:10 AM

New Questions:

1. If you suddenly found yourself in possession of £1,000,000 what is the first thing you would buy?
3. If you had to end your own life (hypothetically of course! Smile) and frame somebody else for murder, how would you do it?

(I think we have probably had all of those questions before but who’s counting?!)

1. I’d pay my debts and hand the rest over to my wife and let ehr do whatever teh BLEEP she wanted.
2. Most unoriginally, I’d probably move to NYC, ostensibly to live with my wife in her new mansion, bought with that million dollars I gave her. One assumes it would take that million dollars to enable us to travel to NYC, because we can’t afford it now.
3. There are a lot of unspoken ‘ifs’ in that question. I can’t answer it on principle, because I would never do that to anybody, no matter how I felt about them. That said, if it ever became necessary, I would plan it out in much greater detail than this post would allow. There might be a book in it, though…

1) Are you playing any old games at the moment?
2) If so, what game(s), and have you played it/them before?
3) If not, what older game would you consider playing if it were available to you and would run on your current machine?

Lee Edward McIlmoyle,
Probably NOT the kind of guy you think he is.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Intense Degree - 01 March 2013 11:10 AM

1. I wouldn’t buy anything, but I would stop working. I’d be content to simply maintain my current lifestyle, but with a lot more free time, and that amount of money is just what I’d need to make low-risk investments and live on my own investments for the rest of my life…

2. Either Sweden or New Zealand. I haven’t been to either of the two, but based on what I’ve seen in photos / on TV / online / etc., I think both are beautiful countries. I also rather like their social-political approaches (at least when compared to most other nations), so they’d be my top picks.

3. Wut? Confused
OK, I’d try to obtain an object that has the fingerprints of the person that I’d like to frame on it, and then use that as my ‘suicide’ weapon. For instance, scissors to cut my car’s brake fluid tube (before I crash into a tree at 140 km/h), or a knife / screwdriver / other pointy object that I could slam the back of my neck into.
I don’t know, I’m clutching at straws here… Tongue

Lee in Limbo - 11 March 2013 06:15 AM

3) If not, what older game would you consider playing if it were available to you and would run on your current machine?

1) Apart from some Nintendo (3)DS games, I’m playing nothing but old games at the moment (and have been doing so for several months). Thumbs Up
Just look at my signature, it’s all there… Grin

2) “Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon”, released in 1997, which is the community playthrough game here. I hadn’t played it before (in fact I hadn’t even heard of it until a few years ago when I saw it mentioned here by pretty much everyone as one of the best games of all time - and so far they’re right!).
I’m also playing “King’s Quest VII: The Princeless Bride”, released in 1994. I had partially played that before, but I got stuck somewhere in the middle and since I didn’t have internet access back then, I couldn’t continue. My guess is I got stuck near the end of chapter 3, but I’ve already passed that point without trouble now, so I must’ve overlooked something silly back in the day.

3) There are a lot of late 80s / early 90s classics that I’ve never played before, and I’m currently working my way through the biggest gaps in my adventure gaming experience. The Gabriel Knight games are coming up, as are the Tex Murphy games, The Last Express, etc.
Do the early-to-mid 2000s count as “old”? ‘Cause I’ve got the Post Mortem / Still Life games and the Syberias on my list as well… Tongue
Ugh, and I call myself an adventure gamer… Crazy
On the bright side: there’s not a single game that I haven’t been able to run, between my regular Vista64 setup, ScummVM, DOSBox and my virtual Win98 machine…

Same questions.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

1. Yes, indeed.

2. ‘Grim Fandango’. I played it before a long time ago, and wanted to replay it just to appreciate it as the culturally more clued-up 21-year-old I am, something that had proved beneficial when I replayed ‘Sam and Max Hit the Road’ and found it even more hilarious than I had before.

3. There’s loads of older (though not really old-old) games I’d like to play. For example, I want to replay Silent Hills 2 through 4, as well as Forbidden Sirens 1 and 2. PS2 controller’s broke, and I can’t see myself using the PS2 again unfortunately. Maybe an emulator will do the trick, though.

__

Either same questions, or I’ll think of some later on.

Joined 2006-06-23

PM

1) Yes. I’d dare to say that all of the games I’m playing are old at this point, because I have no money for new games.
2) I have been poking lamely at Black Dahlia and The Last Express on and off for at least a year, and I recently started replaying The Longest Journey, which I am enjoying almost as much as the first time, because it’s been over half a decade since I last played it.
3) I would like to replay a number of games I actually already have, but that do not run on my machine too well. It’s one of the reasons I haven’t finished playing Black Dahlia, in fact. The Last Express seems to work, so far, but the workaround is a little messy. If I could afford to, and could find them on Steam or GoG, I’d download new copies that don’t require emulation or dodgy patches or whatever.

Same questions. This is fun.

Lee Edward McIlmoyle,

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

1. I’ve actually been dipping my toe into some new (or new-ish) games recently thanks to the good old Steam Christmas sale! However, I have also been going back to an old favourite or two.

2. Mainly Oblivion. I have certainly played it before and have lost count of the hours i’ve put into it over the years, but it’s still great to replay. I’ve also recently loaded up Age of Empires (the original) - still a great game, and Pharaoh, which doesn’t hold up so well for me.

3. I’d like to replay a game called Chip’s Challenge which came free with a Microsoft something or other in the 90’s (maybe Win95?). Seriously addictive game although i’m not sure you can legally obtain it any more. Frown

I’ll pass those questions on again.

Joined 2006-06-23

PM

I think it’s time we had new questions:

1) Has your view of sexuality (including sensuality, but this could just be about gender) changed as you’ve gotten older?
2) Has your view of sexuality in Adventure Games changed as you’ve gotten older?
3) Do you think mature themes in games have evolved in more recent games, or do you think they are still misguidedly perpetuating old stereotypes?

Lee Edward McIlmoyle,

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

*thread necromancy*

Lee in Limbo - 01 June 2013 07:19 PM

I think it’s time we had new questions:

1) Has your view of sexuality (including sensuality, but this could just be about gender) changed as you’ve gotten older?
2) Has your view of sexuality in Adventure Games changed as you’ve gotten older?
3) Do you think mature themes in games have evolved in more recent games, or do you think they are still misguidedly perpetuating old stereotypes?

Three questions that killed a thread… Grin

1) I don’t think so. Experience has made preferences surface, certainly, but I don’t think my actual view on sexuality has changed all that much since my teen years…

2) No. There was too little of it then, and there’s too little of it now. It’s like a forbidden topic. And the few bits there are, are either played for laughs (Larry, GAG) or for shock value (Harvester, Phantasmagoria 2). We could use a couple of good mature games that tackle this properly.

3) Well, games (as well as movies and series in general) have gotten Darker and Edgier™ over the years, but that has often merely resulted in more sex, violence and profanity, and not actually in more mature content, so I’m inclined to say they’re still mostly perpetuating old stereotypes, just with coarser language.
I do feel that some devs are trying to evolve the mature content a little, but those that do seem to be getting close to “It’s not an adventure game!”-land (Gone Home, Beyond: Two Souls, Walking Dead, etc.).

I was going to suggest the same three questions again, but I don’t want to kill the thread again. Grin
Here’s three (lighter) new ones:

1. Who is your favourite TV presenter?

2. How often do you still watch “live TV” (as in: at the actual moment of broadcast, not recorded to watch afterwards, not even with a 10-minute delay to fast-forward commercial breaks)?

3. Where were you when you first heard the news about the 9/11 World Trade Center attack?

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

TimovieMan - 25 March 2014 05:55 PM

Here’s three (lighter) new ones:

2. How often do you still watch “live TV” (as in: at the actual moment of broadcast, not recorded to watch afterwards, not even with a 10-minute delay to fast-forward commercial breaks)?

3. Where were you when you first heard the news about the 9/11 World Trade Center attack?

Hi everyone!
Good to see this game is fairly alive. I mean it’s not exactly kicking, but it’s breathing.  Wink

1. I do not like TV presenters. They annoy me!
2. Perhaps an hour a week. That is, some tv show I follow. When it comes to films on tv I often use the delay-tactic to skip the commencials. For the most I watch series and films on my computer.
3. I was at home from work since I was ill and I had the tv on when the news came. I remember it so well.

——————————————————
1. What languages do you speak fluently or fairly well? (so you can get around as a tourist)
2. What language would you like to learn and why?
3. What language do you find most ugly?

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

TimovieMan - 25 March 2014 05:55 PM

1. Jonathan Ross, especially the late 90s - early 00s Jonathan Ross who I considered hilarious in his own talk shows and in panel shows. I also liked his film review programme (despite often disagreeing with him).
I haven’t been that impressed in recent years, though, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the overblown Russell Brand - Andrew Sachs debacle. These days I’d be more inclined to go for either Stephen Fry or Graham Norton. Let’s pick Norton. Fry’s too much of a bully towards Alan Davies… Tongue

2. For shows I actually want to watch? Hardly ever. It’s all pre-recorded to watch at my leisure (even if only with a 10 minute delay to bypass commercial breaks).
When the TV’s on as “background noise”, it’s all live, though. But I’m not actively watching then (only glancing occasionally when I hear something interesting).
Actually, the news and major sports events I tend to watch live. Especially since most of them are on the public broadcasting channel here, so they don’t have commercial breaks…

3. At the sports center when I showed up there for training (I played table tennis back then). The team mate who told me had a reputation as a joker and he said it without any amount of gravitas, so I didn’t believe him at first (expecting there to be a punchline to his statements)...

Jelena - 20 April 2014 05:54 PM

1. What languages do you speak fluently or fairly well? (so you can get around as a tourist)
2. What language would you like to learn and why?
3. What language do you find most ugly?

1. Dutch is my mother tongue, I’m fluent in English, decent in French and I have a basic knowledge of German. Yay for the Belgian education system! Cool

2. Tough question. I’d actually say “none” as I just lack the time to invest in learning a new language, but I do tend to memorize certain words and phrases when going to a country in which I don’t speak the language. Although the downside of this is that, when you know just a few words, the locals assume you understand most of it, so they start replying in full sentences that make you go

3. Italian. Not an ugly language at all, but on Italian TV (well, at least Rai Uno) they make it insanely ugly by speaking so mindnumbingly fast that it makes me want to murder the presenters (as an alternative to sticking knitting needles in my ears).

—————————
How about some lowbrow questions about toilet paper? Tongue

1. Toilet paper on the holder: do you roll from over or under the roll?

2. When using toilet paper: do you scrunch it or fold it?

3. Do you reach to wipe from the right, from the left or from underneath?

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

TimovieMan - 21 April 2014 12:32 AM

How about some lowbrow questions about toilet paper? Tongue

1. Toilet paper on the holder: do you roll from over or under the roll?

2. When using toilet paper: do you scrunch it or fold it?

3. Do you reach to wipe from the right, from the left or from underneath?

1. I roll from ‘over’ of course!
2. Wouldn’t you like to know…. Tongue
3. It varies.

——————

1. What beverage do you enjoy the most at the moment?
2. What food do you enjoy the most at the moment?
3. What do you eat/drink too much of at the moment?

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Jelena - 22 April 2014 05:07 PM

1. What beverage do you enjoy the most at the moment?
2. What food do you enjoy the most at the moment?
3. What do you eat/drink too much of at the moment?

1. Lemon/orange/carrot/honey juice.
2. Cheese.
3. Hard-boiled eggs Tongue

1. Do you wear any piece of clothes that could be considered unisex apparel?
2. How would you dress for Adventure Gamers Forums meetup?
3. Just when you decided to buy a new pair of fabulous shoes you’ve had an eye on for some time, they’re sold out. Do you:

a) buy similar shoes
b) spend money on beer
c) do nothing
d) other (please elaborate)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

diego - 22 April 2014 06:16 PM

1. Do you wear any piece of clothes that could be considered unisex apparel?
2. How would you dress for Adventure Gamers Forums meetup?
3. Just when you decided to buy a new pair of fabulous shoes you’ve had an eye on for some time, they’re sold out. Do you:

a) buy similar shoes
b) spend money on beer
c) do nothing
d) other (please elaborate)

1.  My husband’s jeans
2.  Comfortable but dressy slacks, a pretty top with a jacket & good walking shoes
3.  d) Buy a new purse instead
———————————————————
1.  What book have you read and enjoyed lately?
2.  What tv show have you watched and enjoyed lately?
3.  Do you spend more time reading or watching tv?

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top