• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Black Mirror static crash

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2013-12-23

PM

Hi. I bought The Black Mirror from Just Aventure Shop last year and just got around to playing it now.

I’m having the problem described in this archived thread…

http://archive.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25995

Specifically, I’m talking to the groom outside the stables and asking him about wine when it happens.

My character’s voice turns into static (like an old TV when there’s no signal) and the game crashes.

Back in 2011, a few helpful people in the above thread had put the files needed to fix the problem in dropbox, but those links no longer work.

From the looks of that thread this is going to happen many times throughout the game.

I’ve tried to log in to Just Adventure support, but I’ve forgotten my password, and despite it saying it’s emailed me a new one it hasn’t arrived yet. I could be wrong but from the looks of the site I’m not sure support is something they’re particularly keen on supplying anyway.

Does anyone have the required files to post, or any other ideas on a possible fix (I’ve also tried various compatibility modes) I’m using Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks.

Joined 2013-12-23

PM

Hi.

I found a workaround for the problem.

I’d been trying to get it working on a Windows 7 desktop.

Just for laughs, I decided to install it on a Windows 8.1 laptop, thinking that if it doesn’t work in Windows 7 there’s no chance of it working in Windows 8.1, particularly a laptop.

Happily, I was wrong.

On the laptop I still get the static, but the game doesn’t crash. I can tell what was supposed to be said by turning on subtitles and can now continue my game.

So if anyone else has the problem, try installing the game and testing your saved game on some other computer.

From what I’ve read there’s the possibility it will crash elsewhere and I might not be able to solve that one by changing computers, but I’m crossing my fingers!

I also heard back from Just Adventure support, who said they’d write to the publisher to see if there was an update or patch to solve the problem. The version number on the title screen is ‘1.0en’ - I have no idea if there’s a later version or not.

Joined 2013-12-23

PM

A response and solution arrived from Just Adventure today (after I prompted them with another suggestion)

Here’s the update I requested yesterday…

Any update from the publisher?

If not, maybe you’ve updated the version but you aren’t aware. Would you like to try giving me a new link to the game download to see if you’ve already got a bugfixed version?

January 19, 2014 04:18 PM

And their response…

Hello,

The publisher was not very helpful. He just said the developer is no longer available, so there is no technical solution. He mentioned the same thread from adventure gamers that you did. I read through that thread, but I’m not sure how useful it is either. There are some links in the thread to download files that supposedly solve the problem, but the download links no longer function.

Here is a link to the latest installer for The Black Mirror:
<link removed>

Let me know if you continue to have problems.

The new link they sent me worked (at the first point I crashed at least - I’d given up and finished the game with files I found elsewhere in the meantime.)

So if anyone has bought the game from Just Adventure and has the same problem, contact support and ask for a new link to the installer.

Hope this helps someone.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top