• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Syberia III

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

darthmaul - 28 April 2017 01:20 PM

People never seem to learn that you need to wait for reviews before buying games.  Buying a game based on hopes and wishes and hype only leads to more hackjobs like this being released.  Be more skeptical the more hype or anticipation you have.

Good point, but who to listen to? The reviews range from 30% to 80%.  Confused

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 27 April 2017 04:29 AM

The review? Probably not very much - it’s not very good and was written by someone called Fraser Brown, which frankly sounds like a made up name.

AHEM

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Mr Underhill - 29 April 2017 11:58 AM

Wow, maybe not a surprise, but John Walker destroyed it, and Syberia II along with it.

Well, to be fair, I tried to play Syberia 2 through again and it just hasn’t aged very well. It certainly wasn’t as good as I remembered it. But then again, I came to the same conclusion about Syberia 1 as well during my recent playthrough: good, but not really as amazing as I remembered it.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Syberia will always shine at its mechanical puzzles… don’t know where the 3rd part stands from this

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Mr Underhill - 29 April 2017 11:58 AM

Wow, maybe not a surprise, but John Walker destroyed it, and Syberia II along with it.

“It literally just carries on from the end of the previous game without even a written recap. The arrogance of this is – well, it’s bloody amazing. All credit to you, Microïds, it’s a bold and inventive move, to deliberately alienate just about every single person who could be playing this game. I applaud you.”

Typical french.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Pushsquare

This game feels like it should’ve come out over a decade ago, and even then, it still wouldn’t have been ready for release. Some sprawling mechanical puzzles, an intriguing world, and a solid soundtrack can’t save Syberia 3 from its disappointing delivery. Poor writing and even worse voice acting make its humdrum story a chore to chew through. With major technical issues in tow along with too much errand-like gameplay, the series should’ve waved a final goodbye like its protagonist in her last outing.

I thought even Syb2 was forced even it wasnt that bad
I think after Paradise Sokal realized that Syberia is better cashcow and any investment in new IPs will be less intuitive than milking Syberia brand dry

What happens now, a 80% MC od original Syberia shot down to 50% of Syberia 3, series die disrespectfully

And i wonder he can break even on 8million euros
Thats quite a sum if Shenmue3 was same ballpark, atleast Shenmue3 is UE4 and not another unity technical mess like Syberia3, just found about unity , maybe the reason why Syb3 textures get Yookalaylee in some scenes

Total Posts: 510

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Advie - 29 April 2017 12:55 PM

Syberia will always shine at its mechanical puzzles… don’t know where the 3rd part stands from this

Just replayed both Syberia 1 and 2 in preparation for the third part and enjoyed them both. Puzzles is one strong point of both imo, even if some parts of the second game is tedious with a lot of running around knowing very little what to do and in which order. But both are completely enjoyable gaming experiences with solid puzzle design.

But this third one… Now with the patch it plays decently, but unfortunately that only puts focus on some other less than stellar design elements. Pretty much all of the gameplay so far (12 hours in) is about running around, hoping for a relevant hotspot to light up or event to trigger. And when you hit a mechanical or logical puzzle there are more often than not no clues around as to how to solve them. Pure trial and error and guesswork, with some timed elements incorporated in some of the puzzles. The worst example so far involving getting an “ice breaker” to work. Once you actually stumble upon the right way to do this and do it fast enough with controls that makes it pretty much impossible to do it you begin to wonder just how drunk this Steiner fellow was when designing this machine. It just makes no sense.

And with risk of being overly politically correct the game is borderline racist. I guess the developers mean well, but the way this nomad people are being pictured (and voiced) bothers me more an more the longer into the story I get.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

BitingWit - 28 April 2017 05:34 PM
darthmaul - 28 April 2017 01:20 PM

People never seem to learn that you need to wait for reviews before buying games.  Buying a game based on hopes and wishes and hype only leads to more hackjobs like this being released.  Be more skeptical the more hype or anticipation you have.

Good point, but who to listen to? The reviews range from 30% to 80%.  Confused

Wait a few weeks, and then read a few “professional” reviews and then read the general consensus and a few negative reviews on Steam.  Sometimes it is still a gamble.  Sometimes it is obvious, like here.

And always be extra skeptical when they try to make a sequel to decades old games or use one person’s name to hype a project.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I usually check out both, positive and negative, reviews from pros and regular users and draw my conclusions from there, as the truth most often is somewhere in the middle. Like Arkham Knight for an example. It still is somewhat of a buggy game on PC, but after reading some reviews I came into conclusion, that I’d enjoy it none the less and I did. The driving bits were still glitchy, but rest of the game worked pretty well.

And judging Syberia 3 from reviews, I’m leaning towards that it’s not the worst game ever, but technically broken and mediocre. Which is a shame.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

tomimt - 30 April 2017 06:12 PM

Like Arkham Knight for an example. It still is somewhat of a buggy game on PC, but after reading some reviews I came into conclusion, that I’d enjoy it none the less and I did. The driving bits were still glitchy, but rest of the game worked pretty well.

And judging Syberia 3 from reviews, I’m leaning towards that it’s not the worst game ever, but technically broken and mediocre. Which is a shame.

If anyone who can finish Aknight, they can finish any game Smile

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I loved Syberia 1 & also Syberia 2 which in my mind concluded the ‘quest’ perfectly so no need for a 3rd in the series unless…....but unfortunately the ‘unless’ (for me) hasn’t happened & that along with less than glowing comments doesn’t entice me. I just wish that Benoit Sokal had invested his time in a completely new project.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

chrissie - 02 May 2017 10:25 AM

I loved Syberia 1 & also Syberia 2 which in my mind concluded the ‘quest’ perfectly so no need for a 3rd in the series unless…....but unfortunately the ‘unless’ (for me) hasn’t happened & that along with less than glowing comments doesn’t entice me. I just wish that Benoit Sokal had invested his time in a completely new project.

Or:

a) employed some better programmers (or gave the existing programmers more time)

or:

b) Carried on with the 2D approach from Syberia 1 and 2

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Even in 2D or with better programmers it wouldn’t have been a much better game. A little better, perhaps, but there were bigger problems than the graphics and tech issues.

I agree with chrissie that it was an unnecessary sequel. In fact, it was barely a sequel at all. Nothing got resolved or moved forward with Kate’s situation. Poor Oscar was dragged out of the grave for a pathetic return. It could (and should) easily have been a standalone adventure, but Sokal decided to be lazy. And possibly greedy. We all know how much the brand name influences sales.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Oscar - 02 May 2017 10:38 AM

Poor Oscar was dragged out of the grave for a pathetic return

You spoiled the only twist Tongue
This was the crappy return i was talking about they showed in launch trailer
Oscar running smh

And yes , yokal exposure got all over the board
Moreover, instead of Sokal communist architecture of Syberia 1 is now typical generic european
places…it feels like some one copying sokal at best

Maybe in 2D he could have put his charm and more screens of beauty to wander around

Irongiant909 - 02 May 2017 10:27 AM

employed some better programmers (or gave the existing programmers more time)

One word

Unity…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top