• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What Remains of Edith Finch

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

As Edith, players travel back to the Finch family home in Washington to explore her ancestral history after recent family events drive her to learn more about herself and the Finches. Edith explores the house through regular doors and secret passageways, as well as the individual rooms of deceased family members who have been preserved like frozen moments in time. Players experience varied stories related to particular family members, with thematic and gameplay elements that change from story to story.

Hope this one picks up where Ethan Carter left.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Gabe - 27 April 2017 12:18 PM

Hope this one picks up where Ethan Carter left.

Is it by the same people? So far it’s a helluva lot better than Ethan Carter.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2017-03-20

PM

Oscar - 29 April 2017 09:50 AM

Is it by the same people? So far it’s a helluva lot better than Ethan Carter.

It looks like it’s different companies. No cross-over as far as I know.

The game is pretty short, but my GotY so far! Love me some magical realism, and it does some of the best environmental storytelling that I’ve ever seen.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Ethan Carter was done by the Astronauts and Edit was done by Giant Sparrow. At first, I too was thinking this could have been done by the same people, but I guess it’s the art style, which I’d say has been done by using photogrammetry the same way the Astronauts did with EC.

Edith has a similar ultra realistic style going on and even their game engine settings feel very similar, giving out very similar vibe to EC art wise.

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

This is clearly one of the best games ever created. I have played almost all highly rated adventure games that exist. This is easily a 10/10 for what it does.

It is NOT puzzle heavy, it is not really even a proper adventure-genre game, but it does what it does spectacularly.

It is almost a “walking sim”, but it does have very smart gameplay challenges, and the mapping/graphics are 11/10.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wait for sale , i am done with 20$ 2 hr story only shit

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Karlok - 05 May 2017 09:08 AM

It says at Steam that a controller is strongly recommended. I have no intention of buying a controller. Is the game really an exercise in frustration without one?

You can drop a msg to him i guess he played it without controller and enjoyed without issues

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

Karlok - 05 May 2017 09:08 AM

It says at Steam that a controller is strongly recommended. I have no intention of buying a controller. Is the game really an exercise in frustration without one?

The game is extremely simple to play and it does not need a controller or any other special setup. In reality the game isn’t great because of the gameplay per se. It’s mainly the story and graphics that make it.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’m clearly no expert on controls, but seeing as you didn’t like The Sexy Brutale’s controls I would beware. You have to “push” and “pull” doors and objects using the mouse. I found this frustrating at times.

test

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

What an amasing game Edith Finch is! Perhaps the best game I played this year. Graphics and story are just 10/10. A game that everyone should play. There is no need of a controler, just mouse and keyboard are ok to play it.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

UruBoo - 09 May 2017 07:57 PM

story are just 10/10. A game that everyone should play

Just finished and i agree
Goty contender along with detention

Some of the storytelling was super creative, loved Walter,Barbara and Fishery guy stuff
Some Unfinished Swan easter eggs

Started out as meh, but picks up very well and ending was thought provoking and not straight, was confused at protagonist’s identity

Great introspection of vague nature of life and human sustainability

Only issue was Walter’s death, avoidable and unrealistic

Another game that pushes the envelope of walking story sims
Best stuff since Rapture

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

There have certainly been a lot of decent “walking sims” lately. I would classify those I’ve played as follows:

Excellent:
Gone Home
Virginia
Dear Esther
Ether One

Good:
The Path
Firewatch
The Stanley Parable
What Remains of Edith Finch?
Sunset

Average:
Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
MIND: Path to Thalamus
Empathy: Path of Whispers
NERO: Nothing Ever Remains Obscure

(There are also poor ones, but I won’t mention those.)

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Isn’t term “walking sim” derogative for this games,obviously there are lots to do other than just walking around and most have better story than old schools ?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Gabe - 21 May 2017 06:37 AM

Isn’t term “walking sim” derogative for this games,obviously there are lots to do other than just walking around and most have better story than old schools ?

It started out as a derogatory term from people who lack the patience to play anything without shooting or killing in it. I’ve stopped caring though. The genre is big enough now to stand on its own both in terms of quality and fanbase.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top