• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiertrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #42: Fran Bow

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

OK! I hope everyone enjoyed playing. I know I enjoyed reading all your comments on the game - especially the end.

Lady Kristal or another admin please unpin this thread.

If are still playing, please continue to do so, just keep posting to this thread your comments as you play.

Thanks all for playing this very strange and creepy game!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2010-10-14

PM

Hello Smile
I’ve played the demo and I was very impressed from this game. I look foward to play the full game

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’ll leave it pinned until Monday, Mike, since I hope to finish it this weekend.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Lady Kestrel - 21 April 2017 06:49 PM

I’ll leave it pinned until Monday, Mike, since I hope to finish it this weekend.

Thank you, that’d be nice. I am in the same boat as you, Lady K.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

And now I am done. It was a strange ending that didn’t wrap up things in a nice little bow. But, then again, I didn’t expect it to. And I am Ok with that.

I won’t analyze the last chapter too much. At the beginning, after seeing the picture with Fran’s friend Alice (holding her Cheshire cat), I decided to approach the rest of the game like a dark Alice in Wonderland: with a sense of wonder, rather than analytically. I had a good time both in this chapter and overall, and I am glad I participated in the playthrough.

To those of you still playing: enjoy what’s left of the game!

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I won’t analyze the last chapter too much

Yea, both this game and Kathy Rain’s last chapters were more than a little strange and really - although they both wrapped things up, left more than a few questions that were not answered.

I played both twice and each time thought the endings were just plain twisted.

The scores for the indy horror games is:

The Cat Lady - 4.5

Fran Bow - 4.0

Kathy Rain - 4.5

All three scores are quite good, which one is your favorite depends on how attached you get to the characters and relate to the story. All three games varied in how much gore and violence they contained. So another deciding factor would be how much horror you like in your horror game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I just finished the game, and I have to say I liked the happy/sad ending.  It tied up what had been done to Fran, which we caught glimpses of in other chapters, and it shed some light on the chapter with the twins.  The universal good vs. evil or heaven vs. hell themes played out nicely in the game, although it troubled me that a doctor would ask an 11-year-old to dig up her dead parents and pet.  The scene where Fran’s tears were collected reminded me strongly of Jake’s scene with Dr. Dupliscidous in Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’ll unpin this thread tomorrow evening unless someone is still playing.  Let me know.

Thanks so much for leading this, MikeKelly!  I really enjoyed the game.

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

It’s over a year since the playthrough ended, but I’ve finally returned to the game. Last year I only did the intro before sinking my teeth into Thimbleweed Park. Now I played through the first chapters, reading along with the comments in this thread.

I’m enjoying the game (it’s pretty weird and creepy), but I am stuck in the second part of Chapter 2. I’ve got all the ingredients for the Revealing the true soul potion, except for the hair. Fran gives as a comment that the girls should be tricked to obtain the hair, but I have no idea how to do this. It feels like I’ve already tried all hotspots in the environment, and don’t see any use for the objects in my inventory. Any gentle hint as to how I should approach this?

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I actually had to look this up as it’s been over a year since I played it. You need to show the twins the tampered bad recipe to get their hair. This is quite complicated - the full walkthrough is here: https://www.walkthroughking.com/text/franbow.aspx#4

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

Thank you for responding to my question, mikekelly Thumbs Up

I’ve now managed to complete the second chapter and am starting out in the third one.

I was quite surprised to leave the island by [spoiler]playing a Frogger clone. I played that on the C64 thirty years ago![/spoiler] It sure made me laugh.

And somehow it felt less out of place in the story than the sliding tile puzzle to unlock the mirror.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Fran Bow is one of my favorite adventure games in the horror genre.

Please keep posting as you play the game, your comments make interesting reading.

Another horror game I love is Kathy Rain, I turned down leading it because it was not out on IOS. Then what happens, it gets released on IOS right before the CPT!

Heart

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

I have now finished Chapter 3. Reading back in this thread, I agree with what TerminusEst and Mikekelly posted about it: interesting mechanic with Fran’s ability to change the season. I found especially the dancing shoes puzzle rather neat. You meet some interesting characters, and Fran’s childlike innocence and spontaneity keeps things light despite the rather disturbing material presented in the expositions. And bringing back together the two parts of the mountain was rather sweet Smile

I did get stuck and looked up a few hints though. I just couldn’t think of a way to obtain a lemon. I had the idea I should get into to the bar to get a lemon, and of course before you solve all four riddles, there’s no way to enter the bar. And as for the solution to the first riddle, it just didn’t occur to me that the matches were a valid answer as well. I was just annoyed I couldn’t pick up some coal that was lying in the wizard’s cave, as that seemed an obvious solution to the riddle to me…

This also showed me the advantages of playing with somebody else. For the past few years, most adventures I played together with my wife. This one I’m doing alone as she’s currently too busy with other matters. And I find myself stuck more often than I’m used to. With two people usually somebody has the right idea how to proceed - and it’s easier to keep each other motivated to keep looking for the solution without looking up a walkthrough as well.

Still, I’m enjoying Fran Bow, and will proceed with Chapter 4 this weekend.

Mikekelly - 05 June 2018 09:57 PM

Another horror game I love is Kathy Rain (...)

I also enjoyed Kathy Rain. I thought that was a well-paced adventure, and I didn’t mind the rather off-the-wall ending - but I would love to have a sequel that made some more sense out of what happened near the end Laughing

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Mikekelly - 25 May 2018 07:23 PM

https://www.walkthroughking.com/text/franbow.aspx#4

On a totally unrelated note.. does anyone know who is the owner of that website? Walkthroughking?

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The puzzles in this game are just plain strange. I got stuck in this game a lot. This game is not for everyone, as it’s bizarre in pretty much every way a game can be.

The only game out there to me that is more bizarre is The Cat Lady, this game is kinda a warm up for that game.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top