• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanGabrielrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Citizens on Patrol - A Police Quest Playthrough

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Maybe play the PQ1 remake in release date order along with the rest of your playthrough?

wilco - 17 March 2017 09:22 AM

Big jump in difficulty for PQ2, took me forever to leave the station at the beginning. Seems the puzzles get a lot more harder.

Yea, the one time I played PQ2 (which is now over 15 years ago I think), I was never able to get my car started and leave. I’ll go back to it.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Advie - 18 March 2017 01:18 PM
wilco - 18 March 2017 11:12 AM

“There’s an envelope corner in the left hand”
LOOK AT ENVELOPE - you don’t have it ; TAKE ENVELOPE - you can’t get that ; OPEN LEFT HAND - I’m not sure what you want me to do ; 30 minutes later after reaching a dead end , restore, TAKE ENVELOPE CORNER - You pry the fingers and take the envelope corner

Crazy
hwhwheehe
when its corner it is just the corner, do not let your imagination get the best of you wilco LOL

At least it shouldn’t have let me advance the game without taking it Neutral

tomimt - 18 March 2017 02:27 PM

I’d say the parser in PQ2 is probably stupider than in PQ1, where the parser understood even some shortened commands, like O D instead of Open Door.

I did not know that about the O D, but it did seem a lot more flexible

Venkman - 18 March 2017 03:15 PM

Maybe play the PQ1 remake in release date order along with the rest of your playthrough?

That’s a good idea, after PQ3 I’ll go back and see the differences.

A question - PQ4 is still an adventure, right, only the Swat games start to be more simulation/strategy games? Although the first Swat game I’m not sure with all the FMV

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

yes, PQ4 is an adventure.
Gates take a different dark approach from Walls and a bit more difficult too

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

PQ4 is an adventure game. Easily the worst one in the series, but still an adventure. Swat games are all strategy games, though they did have FMV plot as well as instruction videos.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Thanks, playing 4 but skipping all SWAT games.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

I read a great blog post on SWAT 4 a while back that makes me want to play it. He argues that it’s one of the only shooters ever to treat life and death seriously, to treat violence with consequence. It’s not an adventure game at all, but at least the blog post should be interesting to most of us who are interested in thinking about games as art:

http://exploringbelievability.blogspot.com/2015/07/analysis-swat-4.html

Since I’m so OCD about these things, I’d basically have to play through PQ1-4 (and remake) and SWAT 1-3 before I could play SWAT 4. (SWAT is “Police Quest 5” so really, SWAT 4 is Police Quest 8.) But they are all on GOG now I think.

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

I have played one of the SWAT games. I hate shooters but SWAT is very good because it’s not running in and killing everything, you have to think about getting hostages out alive and so on. It’s very tactical. I can’t remember if you need to be good at action or looking down a gun barrel.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Heard a lot of good things about Swat 4, the recent release on gog was well received. It’s by Irrational of System Shock 2 and Bioshock fame.

Now PQ2 is by one hand keeping on the edge because of the story, but in the other hand it’s very annoying…
Another example:

Sonny is exploring the bathroom behind the white wall. The player can’t even see it. I typed “Look” and that’s the message it appears. Doesn’t seem like anything important, right? After I still did “Search bathroom” and the answer was “Nothing important” or something like that. I carried on and reached a dead end some time later. You have to type specifically “Look at sink” in that place to find a business card that has no reason to be there. Come on…

Another in same place

I typed “Look under bed” and the answer was that… Nothing, right?... Wrong. You have to search in the other side of the bed (the one the player can’t see…) to find a lipstick. What the hell?!?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

ahh, i remember this (the lipstick) thing.. i was stuck because of it too..
but remember Jim walls had this style at his games at least i am sure of Iceman and PQ2,  depending on where you are standing you get a different answer from typing ‘look’ judging on where exactly. i think you don’t even need to mention what exactly to look at, you get a different answer at the each different place.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

quoted myself from the AG Ost thread, some valuable info i guess

Did you ever wonder with all the talk about how frustrating and difficult Sierra’s adventures were what is most difficult of them all? the answer is; if we put Woodruff aside as its not developed by Sierra but only published by ,then with no doubt and from me (who I can claim to be) a Sierra’ freak , its Codename: ICEMAN .

Codename: ICEMAN is a great adventure that holds many genres melt within (mostly all the gaming genres) ‘partially’ ,you can find (bedside the great adventuring mode); Simulation (the Submarine part) ,Action (the Shootings parts) ,RPG (the diving part which needs guiding our hero into being ready and capbale for it) ,Strategy (the life guard saving part at the beach).

James Walls games always had taken different approache than all the other ‘designers’ ones from Sierra at Codename: ICEMAN ,speaking of his gameplaying style that featured text parser ,the syntax of the common ‘Verb+The-Object’ was different for him; typing LOOK upon entering a new room doesn’t hold the usual replay of describing the surroundings ,instead it was concerned over the object/subject the protagonist facing/standing-next to;  For example while standing next to a ladder the program understands CLIMB UP, when at similar games from Sierra it only would understand “CLIMB-UP-The-Ladder” ... and so on.

The game was released 1989 one year after Police Quest II , three things I noticed obviously WERE very similar and common at both; Shooting ,Diving and opposing some fanatics-extremists-Muslim-Wahabi’-Qaeda-terrorists’ ,but what is more noticeable is that time the game (1989) released ,it was still far from the 9/11 incidents, which shown/and-mostly-created the world’s awareness (propaganda) for this sect/cult ,so mostly it seems that Walls as an Ex-Policeman had personal experience(s) or at least interest toward these issues, not to mention diving all the same.

Mark Seibert had created a very strong remarkable soundtrack for this game likely pretty feels similar to his previous work forPolice Quest II: The Vengeance which I had posted earlier.

Codename: ICEMAN - Full Soundtracks Compilation REALLY worth listing to especially when keeping in mind the release date, Mark Seibert was and always to be remembered as the master of the MIDI especially when it comes to the Roland MT-32 ‘sound’.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yeah, you rally, REALLY have to look every object and preferably from multiple sides in PQ2. I know it’s meant to be like real crime scene investigation, but I’d bet an investigator on a real scene wouldn’t have huge problems looking at a skin in a bathroom, unless CSI in the states is also parser operated.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It’s like the game is really trying to frustrate the player. I mean why say the “bathroom is empty”, or “there is nothing to search”? At least say something like “something in the sink caught your eye”. Or in the bed thing “there’s something at the other side”.

In this scene, for example, you could at least see there was something in the floor worth exploring

I’m at the terrorist in airplane scene (Sonny is the unluckiest guy in the world), apparently my gun sight is not adjusted Frown , back to the station… (I thought I did that in the day before).

@Advie
Not looking forward to playing Codename Iceman Smile

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

but seriously this time remember this Tip Always “Adjust your gun” wilco.. you will know what this tip is about.
good luck.

wilco - 19 March 2017 03:06 PM

I’m at the terrorist in airplane scene (Sonny is the unluckiest guy in the world), apparently my gun sight is not adjusted Frown , back to the station… (I thought I did that in the day before).

@Advie

so my tip (which was for exactly this incident ) didnt help Smile

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Advie - 19 March 2017 03:37 PM

but seriously this time remember this Tip Always “Adjust your gun” wilco.. you will know what this tip is about.
good luck.

wilco - 19 March 2017 03:06 PM

@Advie

so my tip (which was for exactly this incident ) didnt help Smile

You should have said “Everyday” Smile

Edit: I think the game is making fun of me now, went to the target area and after shooting and checking the target it says the “gun is aligned”  Shifty Eyed  , maybe I didn’t check the target the other time…

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

maybe, but is it bull’s eye or not, that what matters

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top