• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Full Throttle remastered announced

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I feel about this the way I do about DoTT remake. It’s not exactly how I would have done things, but it’s not bad, and preserves a lot of what I like about the original.

Making Pixel art higher res while preserving the “impression” the original gives is really tough. It’s like trying to paint a Van Gogh with finer brush-strokes; the coarseness is part of the look, and your brain fills in details that aren’t there.

The only other way is to really remake the art in a way that looks different. If done right, this is the best way, but if it goes wrong, we have the Monkey Island remake.

So yeah, this is fine. I’ll take it.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Frogacuda - 05 December 2016 09:15 AM

Making Pixel art higher res while preserving the “impression” the original gives is really tough. It’s like trying to paint a Van Gogh with finer brush-strokes; the coarseness is part of the look, and your brain fills in details that aren’t there.

You are party right, but I don’t know why everybody insists that the low-res graphics are “better” because they leave plenty for “imagination” - they were made for THAT time period in the best possible tech, they were detailed as much as you could put in the pixel - that’s why they stood the test of time - they look “stylish” today, like any kind of a timeless piece of art. This remake (like all remakes in the past years) is just a somewhat tawdry “imitation” - it doesn’t have a special style to it (any flash based game have graphics like that). The only proper way (as I see it) with, let’s say LucasArts remakes is to preserve the style but with a lot of more details in order for our perception to accept it in a high-res and bigger resolution. I always refer to this Monkey Island fan art  as an example of how the style can be preserved with a little (but not too much) more details than what they’re doing.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1620

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

for me the main attraction to getting these remastered version of the games is the directors commentary

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

april 18

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

nomadsoul - 03 March 2017 01:25 AM

april 18

Yes!! Thumbs Up

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Cosmic Star Heroine the week before? Good month for PSN

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’ll have to pick these up (Cosmic Star Heroine, Full Throttle Remastered) for my VITA from PSN!

They both look great!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

interesting. my views are mixed… i kinda feel like it looks the same but not the same and that running a hq3x filter through the original essentially gives the same feel as this redone hd one lol, but in a way better because its not trying to be something that its not.  i duno… i will play it and enjoy it but hmmmmm

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2013-06-01

PM

If you want to see some actual gameplay footage of the upcoming remaster, I recently hosted a stream for GOG with Tim Schafer as a guest, where we talked about the remaster, and a lot of the history of the game. The stream was a first look at a lot of the gameplay, so it might be a good insight for those interested:

https://www.gog.com/news/watch_tim_schafer_talk_about_full_throttle_remastered

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

ChronoWolf - 20 March 2017 07:46 PM

If you want to see some actual gameplay footage of the upcoming remaster, I recently hosted a stream for GOG with Tim Schafer as a guest, where we talked about the remaster, and a lot of the history of the game. The stream was a first look at a lot of the gameplay, so it might be a good insight for those interested:

https://www.gog.com/news/watch_tim_schafer_talk_about_full_throttle_remastered

Good performance in intro

Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2013-06-01

PM

nomadsoul - 20 March 2017 07:58 PM

Good performance in intro

Thumbs Up

Heh, thank you!

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Been watching small intro letsplays featuring Tim on big site youtube channels like IGN, Gamespot, PCGamer… I have to say, the remastered art in this is the best so far. Animations are, for the most part, excellent, and they don’t really have that flash-like quality to them. I’m pumped.

Btw if you’re planning to get this on PS4, there’s a 20% pre-order discount if you have PS+. Gonna play it on PC myself.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Mr Underhill - 16 April 2017 12:31 PM

Been watching small intro letsplays featuring Tim on big site youtube channels like IGN, Gamespot, PCGamer… I have to say, the remastered art in this is the best so far. Animations are, for the most part, excellent, and they don’t really have that flash-like quality to them. I’m pumped.

Btw if you’re planning to get this on PS4, there’s a 20% pre-order discount if you have PS+. Gonna play it on PC myself.

Pre-ordered on PSN, game is pre-loadad and ready to go tomorrow

Let’s do this!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It’s out now and, as far I can tell, it’s 1:1 with the original. Voices and musics have been remastered and the original Gone Jackals sound track seems to be in as well.

You’ll probably like or hate this version as much as you did the original. It has all the good bits as well as bad ones, so depending on what you think of the original game that conception will very likely remain the same, just as with Day of the Tentacle.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I played a bit of the PS4, I think it looks great. like how they mapped the controls in the dualshock, seems I’m getting more and more confortable with playing adventures in a controller (which is a very strange thing…)

Intro is still goat

Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen
Ripburger! You’re dumber than dirt!
Gone Jackals!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top