• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

things we lost in fire

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

I dont know man…. if this is the pinnacle of 2000-2010 AG graphics…. well are things really all so bad now !!!!

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

You can’t tell how well something is animated from a still shot.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

WillBarr - 10 March 2017 05:14 AM
Gabe - 10 March 2017 02:56 AM

Just remove nostalgia googles for a minute advie,compare the games of City Interactive, Future Games, Deck13 you longing with Daedalic,Double Fine,TTG,KING Art,Quantic,Dontnod..
you’ll see baseless presumptions about production values and enough nostalgia naiveties.

^ This. Advie’s original point saying “[they] can hardly see at them the same kind of quality of animations or the represented art made at the mentioned older games”, from a technical point of view, as a professional animator, I don’t agree with. There are exceptions but the standard you have to be to get a job as an artist in games in 2017 is light-years ahead of 1997 let alone 1987. All the examples mentioned of modern adventure games (Unwritten Tales, Kelvin, Nelly, Broken Age etc) if shown to a kid to compare with classic Serra/ Lucas adventures they’ll definitely say the modern games’ production quality is better.

However, I do think that, in the distant past, adventure games were at the bleeding edge when it came to pushing what hardware was capable of, that won’t happen again because the budget will not be made available to allow that.

on a 2nd thought you did a good job for the animations at her majesty’s;  the hero walked nicely (a bit strange but better than Broken Age a man on sticks animation) climbed, crouched..etc so again i might have been wrong to include your game here.. and that has nuthing about you showing up at the thread WillBarr Smile

but what i had in mind (while posting the OP) is the cutscenes from Pendulos and City Interactive and Future games.
and also this, which might be so silly to bring in, but however i dont see this kinda of ingame animations at the new adventures; how the hero at Runaway (for instance, and its one of the many many smooth actions he make) climbed walked down the stairs.. which is veeery neat!

anyway this discussion would need me to bring on and on examples from the period of 2000-2010 when adventure gaming animation (imo) had hit the roof.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

What about Paradigm? The animations arent totally smooth but its a nice throwback to 00s and traditional era with zany comedy and 2d graphics,

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

I second Paradigm. I’m currently in chapter 2, and it’s really good. I’ve also heard awesome things about the first episode of Midnight in the Celestial Palace.

2017 is a good year for adventure games. Trust me, there’s so much more to come. Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure, Syberia 3, Detectiv Gallo, Detective Di: The Silk Rose Murders, A Little Less Desperation (I recommend the demo, it’s great), Mage’s Initiation, Star Flint: The Black Hole Prophecy, and two new Daedalic Adventures are announced for this year. And those are just some of my most wanted games. Check the list of upcoming releases and enjoy.

I’m also still hoping for The Mystery of Oak Island, Blackenrock, A Spaceventure and Asylum, but we’ll see.

If I miss any of the old companies? Of course I do. Most of all Sierra, Lucas Arts, Coktel Vision, Infocom, Legend, Burst, Westwood, and even Cranberry. We’ve lost a lot of them along the way. Some didn’t even get the chance to make more than one fantastic adventure for us, but I won’t give up on the genre. In the days of download stores like GoG or Steam, there are plenty of indie games for us.
I’m currently worried about Daedalic, though. Word has it that they’re in financial trouble. Let’s hope for the best.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

cyfoyjvx - 09 April 2017 03:18 AM

What about Paradigm? The animations arent totally smooth but its a nice throwback to 00s and traditional era with zany comedy and 2d graphics,

I think we lost Advie in the fire as well - normally he’d be all over this kind of game.

Actually I might give it a try myself. It looks hilarious. Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Oscar - 09 April 2017 02:16 PM

I think we lost Advie in the fire as well - normally he’d be all over this kind of game.

Actually I might give it a try myself. It looks hilarious. Smile

The demo at least was pretty funny

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

me too..

but hey Oscar, i just having one of those chores of family headaches phase in my life now Meh but you damn right! Sci-Fi and Steampunk adventures are my top desire Smile

Total Posts: 72

Joined 2017-03-27

PM

Pardon me. I’m new although I’ve been lurking around for years. Hope you don’t mind me muscling in on a conversation with established members. Just tell me to go away and I will.

I agree with a lot of what has been said in the thread. But I think, as an old adventure gamer, part of the problem is my own fault. I’m just not willing to pay $30 or $40, or there abouts, for an adventure game any more. I’ve been spoiled by Steam, GOG and bundle sales. I’ve got Silence, Thimbleweed Park, The Franz Kafka game and Blackwood Crossing on my wishlist at Steam but I’m waiting on a sale.

That didn’t use to be the case. I would read previews in anticipation of a game release - take the Longest Journey as an example. I wanted that game so badly I couldn’t see straight. Remember when adventure games were far and few between? When it came out, I couldn’t find it at my local Best Buy or Media Play stores. I flew to another state to visit my sister and found it at her Media Play. I think I paid $40 for it. I carried it home in my purse. The airline could lose my undies but they weren’t going to misplace my game! Granted, this was pre-digital but now if I had to pay $40 for a game, I’d probably have the vapors and faint dead away. But if I was a hard core, console, AAA game player I wouldn’t blink an eye.

When I get almost all of my games on sale for 50%/80% off, how am I supporting and encouraging a game studio to make really great adventure games? (I’d have to define “great” as directly reflected in my level of involvement and immersion, not necessarily by frame rate or clarity of images. If losing Joey in Blackwell reduces me to tears and the fear of what I’ll find with the sister in Gone Home makes me sweat, I’m fully invested in that game regardless of the graphics.)

Maybe I’m not willing to pay a premium price for an adventure game because, somewhere in my little head, I’ve started thinking of adventure games as second cousins to real games - kind of in the family but not invited to the wedding. Have I been fed enough media crap to buy the premise that only AAA titles are valid? Do gamers constantly waiting for sales jeopardize a game developer so thoroughly that the devs pack it in?

I have to go think about this.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I’m just here for the Low reference. Great band.

But seriously, extending the discussion a bit and generalizing it to “old vs new” in adventure games, I agree it’s a combination of this genre no longer representing the bleeding edge, at least as far as graphics are concerned, for a looong time; small budgets, and as a result way, way smaller teams where everyone has to wear many different hats instead of being able to focus on their area of expertise and polish it to their heart’s content.

And it’s a bit of a pity, because - at least with graphics- with the advancements we’ve been making even in sheer resolution, with the right budget hell yeah there could be 2d adventure games that would rival with any kind of AAA tens-of-thousands-of-polygons mainstream game. You just need the hefty budget needed to pay a lot of skilled illustrators and animators a lot of money, otherwise they’ll flee to greener pastures such as advertising or becoming another small cog in a huge AAA machine.

Personally, I’m not kidding myself that I made the right choice financially, since I would literally be making at least 5x the money I am now by giving up on my dream to make a kick-ass adventure game, but I don’t regret my choice for a second. We’re pulling super hard to make as impressive a product as is humanly possible, but there’s always a sad realization in the back of my mind that, unless some kind of major paradigm (no pun intended) shift happens soon, we will not be seeing the 2017 equivalent of Lucas or Sierra productions any time soon.

Well, except for Thimbleweed Park.

Thimbleweed Park is AWESOME.

Then again, I can’t think of one other truly indie adventure game that had anywhere near that kind of money (and I think TWP actually cost a lot more than that).

Sorry for the rant, was taking a break from animating, so it seemed like a relevant topic of discussion Laughing What I can say is that without you beautiful bastards buying all these adventure games and keeping the dream alive, we’d have diddly squat, so let’s count our blessings, I say!

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Thimbleweed Park will almost definitely not be my top game of the year. In fact it is already in 3rd spot behind two better games. There is more to life than Ron Gilbert, Shafer and other Lucasarts/Sierra cast-offs.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 11 April 2017 08:24 AM

Thimbleweed Park will almost definitely not be my top game of the year. In fact it is already in 3rd spot behind two better games. There is more to life than Ron Gilbert, Shafer and other Lucasarts/Sierra cast-offs.

I don’t think anyone would claim that ex-Lucasarts staff are the only people capable of creating great games, Headycakes. But if someone with that kind of track record is producing something new, especially if it’s something specifically pitched as an update with a similar flavour to the classic games, surely anyone but a real grumpy grump would be at least a bit excited!

May we ask what your two better games are?

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Phlebas - 12 April 2017 04:47 AM
Headycakesofdoom - 11 April 2017 08:24 AM

I don’t think anyone would claim that ex-Lucasarts staff are the only people capable of creating great games, Headycakes. But if someone with that kind of track record is producing something new, especially if it’s something specifically pitched as an update with a similar flavour to the classic games, surely anyone but a real grumpy grump would be at least a bit excited!

May we ask what your two better games are?

Sure - Blackwood Crossing and Night In The Woods.

Of course I was excited at TWP and it is a good game. Just wanted to point out that there are a lot of other great games (freeware included) because someone said there weren’t and/or you need billions of $$ to make them.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 12 April 2017 05:51 AM

Of course I was excited at TWP and it is a good game. Just wanted to point out that there are a lot of other great games (freeware included) because someone said there weren’t and/or you need billions of $$ to make them.

Then we are in agreement Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 12 April 2017 05:51 AM

Sure - Blackwood Crossing and Night In The Woods.

Blackwood Crossing? Saw this show up on PSN but didn’t see much about it. Reviews seemed divisive. I’m interested.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top