• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkGabrielJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Congrats! And a rescue too. He’s lovely.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve downloaded the demos of chrissies two games and the one furgotten recommended. Think you will be surprised with the Friday AGSOTD post.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

He’s not exactly a “pup”. He’s a seven-year-old rescue. But he’s our pup nonetheless. Needs a LOT of training. He is beyond CUTE! Thanks Colpet. Rescuing a dog can be an expensive proposition. But well worth it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Finished playing the demo of Mystery Trackers - Queen of Hearts. It appears to be a duplicate of Four Aces, including one villain carryover from that game. The setting is changed, but we still have our boon companion Elf.

Our antagonist is a mad scientist who is practicing genetic engineering on whatever person/animal he can lay his hands on.

It all seems to be a “Been there. Done that.” scenario.

BFG just had a BOGO sale. The next sale would have to be at least that good to justify purchasing this game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Beamer is adorable! I hope he beams sunshine into your days.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

He does. Thanks. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I played the The Wisbey Mystery demo and the Myths of the World - Bound by the Stone demo. I think chrissie played the first. I know there were some things about it that she didn’t like, but I don’t know if she played the whole game. I won’t be playing the whole game. I finished the demo in 29 minutes. I don’t have anything against “easy” but this was way too easy. I didn’t like the design of the game. It was as if the game had been designed in 2008, and was set aside because it wasn’t good enough. Then somebody found it recently, October 2016 to be exact, and decided to release it with all its flaws. Two major flaws revolve around the same thing. One the voice acting is horrible. Two, while you can turn down the volume on music and effects, you can’t turn down the volume on the voices. So whenever someone speaks, which fortunately isn’t that often, you have bad voice acting blaring at you. And, other than muting all sounds, you just have to endure it. Which I won’t.

I think the Myths of the World series has gone a bit downhill since I first suggested Of Fiends and Fairies as a great game. Gratefully not as much as have other franchises. I’m not totally sure about the storyline after finishing the demo, but it seems interesting enough that I will probably purchase it. Basically sometime back in history an individual absorbed all the evil that existed in the world into his body which was then turned to stone so that the evil could not escape. Skip forward to latter 19th or early 20th century Romania. Something is apparently happening in a small town that portends to set the evil free. You are a member of a sect that finds and destroys whatever it is that tries to release the evil. (Considering where we find ourselves in 2017 America, the sect has not always been successful.) Naughty
I had a problem with one or two puzzles, and was forced to use the skip button.
The problem is that while the puzzle’s objectives are reasonably well explained, the mechanics of the puzzle are not.

I still have the domos of the other two games that chrissie and furgotten mentioned left to play.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I played the two demos Small Town Terrors - Livingston and Infected - The Twin Vaccine. I don’t know how old the former is, but it appears old. It is made by Gunnar Games who also put out a slew of games under the Hidden Mysteries banner. Fateful Voyage Titanic, Salem Secrets, Vampire Secrets and Notre Dame are the four I’ve played. The latter was an AGSotD post a while ago. Good games but not great. And I pretty much was thinking the same here.

The second game is from Gogii Games, which we discussed as part of the Safecracker and Vaultcracker AGSotD posts from about three weeks ago. It is more my style. I don’t know if there was a end point for the demo. If there was, I timed out before reaching it. That bodes well for it being a nice, long game experience. It and Myths of the World - Bound by the Stone will be my next two purchases.

Since chrissie and furgotten already game mini-reviews, I’ll only review MotM when I’m done.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just finished playing Surface: Return to Another World
I’ve got quite a penchant for the Surface games although they do vary in quality but I found this one to be an absolute gem amongst them.
I was hooked by the demo of the SE but actually went on to buy the CE in today’s ‘Fat Tuesday’ sale.

The story has an unusual twist in that the disappearance of the population of a town in the normal world is down to a ‘local’ infiltrating another world & ‘stirring up trouble’ there rather than the weird events in ‘our’ world caused by the usual range of evil people/entities etc either within it or have gained access to it.
I’m not a great fan of pure fantasy but this game seemed to have just the right amount of balance for me.

There’s a nice variety of different types of HO screens & an assortment of interesting puzzles. The game in my mind would be a nice candidate for a CG playthrough - the CE is not necessary to complete the game & is truly an extra.

Just a moan about CEs - I don’t mind incidentally collecting flowers or whatever, ‘collectibles’, morphing objects etc but I do wish when you click on one of these you didn’t keep being alerted with one of those very intrusive notifications! 

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It’s added to my list. I’m waiting until after 1 March to make my purchases. Buying three games in Feb won’t earn me a credit. Buying three on 1 March gets me off to a nice start for the month.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I played and finished Infected - The Twin Vaccine.

No review. I liked it, even though the theme is somewhat dark. The ending was not to my liking. How did Marty save the world while dying, when the science teacher survived to participate in another game? I guess we will have to wait for the next game for the answer to that question.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished two games over the weekend. Woof! The first was Myths of the World - Bound by the Stone. I pretty much summarized the plot in an earlier post. Priest takes on the sins of the world and turns to stone encasing the evil for all time. Someone comes into contact with stone, releasing some evil which becomes personified as the goddess of the forest. People of the village where the stone exists perform annual sacrifices to this goddess. Suddenly you appear and interrupt the annual sacrifice. There is now hell to pay.

At the very beginning of the game you run into someone who you initially view to be your primary antagonist. Not so. He is injured by the villagers who view him the same way you do. Turns out that he is your fellow protagonist, and it is up to you two to conquer the forest goddess and return the village to its former state.

I did buy the CE version of this game. It isn’t necessary to find a satisfactory conclusion to the main game. But it helps to understand how the main antagonist ended up the way she did. The CE also includes some “finding objects” diversions. If you find an object, you are notified you found an object which, to me, is a huge distraction. But some people like it. Me? If I find an object, fine. If I don’t, also fine. They don’t contribute to the playing of the game.

I think this is a fun game. I think the CE is a worthwhile purchase if you get a “deal” on BFG.

I’ll try to get to the second game later tonight.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 01 March 2017 08:45 PM

No review. I liked it, even though the theme is somewhat dark. The ending was not to my liking. How did Marty save the world while dying, when the science teacher survived to participate in another game? I guess we will have to wait for the next game for the answer to that question.

I don’t know about the survival of the science teacher which didn’t make sense - maybe he had access to a nuclear fall-out shelter? Laughing but Marty gave his life to make sure that his daughter (also the potential ‘source’ of a vaccine which could save the world) could get far enough away from the town before it was nuked by staying behind to change all of the rail-track pointings for the train journey Well, that’s the way I perceived the ending.  Smile

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

chrissie - 07 March 2017 01:05 PM
rtrooney - 01 March 2017 08:45 PM

I don’t know about the survival of the science teacher which didn’t make sense - maybe he had access to a nuclear fall-out shelter? :] but Marty gave his life to make sure that his daughter (also the potential ‘source’ of a vaccine which could save the world) could get far enough away from the town before it was nuked by staying behind to change all of the rail-track pointings for the train journey Well, that’s the way I perceived the ending.  :)

I agree with you about Marty, Chrissie. I also agree with Tim that the ending was left a little up in the air with a sequel possibly in mind. Unfortunately they never did that.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

One of the things about this game that troubled me was how one girl survived a virus & her identical twin sister died?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top