• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DalediegoLady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Let’s Play: The Colonel’s Bequest

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Welcome to Misty Acres, I will be your host for the weekend. Here, let me take your belongings to your room. Did you have a pleasant trip from New Orleans?  You must be plumb frazzled! Get some rest for now and when the others arrive, we’ll begin. 

Now that you’re settled in, feel free to mingle with the other guests and share notes. But no spoilers!

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Settled in?  Cry

Copyright Protection! Fingerprints! Now I’ve got to download the manual and print it.
Ggggrrrr…

EDIT: Okay, I asked myself: “What would Daddy do in a situation like this?” and immediately the mist cleared.

Settled in. Cool Going to explore.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I don’t think I’ll have to play it now but I started it up anyway.
Classical premise, is the game real-time or the clock only advances when the player does some specific stuff? From the manual sounds something like Last Express where stuff happens even if the player is not there to see it.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

wilco - 18 February 2017 12:59 PM

Classical premise, is the game real-time or the clock only advances when the player does some specific stuff? From the manual sounds something like Last Express where stuff happens even if the player is not there to see it.

not real time at all, this game was the only sierra ta the time that didnt have a score, and its idea of playing as you (half) said; advances when the player does a certain thing, which is usually finding the next clue; which comes is many diffrent ways sometimes its about just entering a ceratin place after a certain action!....
the game makes you turn around yourself all the time revisiting each and every room to search for the clue that would make the game advance .. tick-tock Cool

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Advie’s right, of course, but I can see why people might compare the game to The Last Express, as you can make the clock move forward but miss stuff.

From the review here:

This time-advancement system means that you may have been in the right places and have caused the clock to move forward, and yet have missed much of the story. Still, that is not frustrating as it doesn’t prevent you from finishing the game. At the end of the story, you can read Laura’s notebook, where the game fills in what you have found on various topics (such as “people romantically involved” or “objects which changed location”) and points out what is missing. This is used to calculate your final score; the game also gives you the option to read some well-made hints to help you find the missing clues when you play again.

(I just can’t resist quoting myself, can I? Tongue )

The system’s very similar to GK3, actually.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I haven’t checked GOG to see if it is available yet. But of the two games I would much prefer to play The Dagger of Amon Ra. I think it is a much better game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 18 February 2017 07:16 PM

I haven’t checked GOG to see if it is available yet. But of the two games I would much prefer to play The Dagger of Amon Ra. I think it is a much better game.

So go play the Dagger of Amon Ra, on your own or in another thread. Not here.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I always liked Colonel’s Bequest better than Dagger of Amon Ra.
But I had trouble with having to be in the right place at the right time with both of them.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Very true. I just thought that Dagger was far less a text-based game, and thus might have a wider audience. The OP has offered a game to play. End of statement.

Except I’m looking for his Friday AGSOTD post.

Have at it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Colonel’s Bequest is a great game, I’ve always preferred it to Dagger myself.

You know, if there was a remake of it, I’d love to see some amount of randomization in it. Like for every new game the killer would be randomly selected and this would reflect upon the murders as well, with having people found in different places and killed with different means.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tomimt, i tried to search for you 3d fan project for Colonel Bequest and couldnt find it, could you repost it plz, it would fun now that the game has some attention

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

How is the Dagger of Amon Ra in terms of story? Is it a good mystery? Satisfying denouement?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Origami - 20 February 2017 06:10 AM

How is the Dagger of Amon Ra in terms of story? Is it a good mystery? Satisfying denouement?

Gorgeous visuals, great music, fine acting, horrible characterization with no character development whatsoever, lazy mystery full of plot holes, awful finale that requires you to answer 30-ish questions about the mystery—and if you get a single one wrong (the game doesn’t tell you which), you lose the game. (Nowadays, I guess you can just look up the answers on the Internet, but I have no words to express what a fucking slap in the face it was 25 years ago.)

So, yeah… I’ve always wanted to love it, but I’ve never managed to.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Kurufinwe - 20 February 2017 06:39 AM

Gorgeous visuals, great music, fine acting, horrible characterization with no character development whatsoever, lazy mystery full of plot holes, awful finale that requires you to answer 30-ish questions about the mystery—and if you get a single one wrong (the game doesn’t tell you which), you lose the game. (Nowadays, I guess you can just look up the answers on the Internet, but I have no words to express what a fucking slap in the face it was 25 years ago.)

Thanks for clearing that up. Will skip that one then.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 20 February 2017 06:39 AM

Wooooo, you tore it into hundreds of pieces ..
nothing wrong at what you said but the hate toppled the love, which is convenient if you are looking at the end, but since when there was a satisfying end to ost mysteries.
i think i always cared about the (journey) the gameplaying at it, and it was satisfying and it always came before TCB until you showed you love for it (many times not here) that i had to reconsider it, and i had to change my opinion and push this (TCB) before TDoAR, guess i never had to say this before.

but there were always Sierra hardcore lovers (much more than me) who had restored their save games replayed the parts concerning the questions (they where more than dozen of questions i remeber but nowhwre near 30) at the end until they discovered it, right.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top